Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six Mac Abs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
Hello MR Forumites

I've just got a brand new MBP M1 and whilst setting it up, I noticed a very strange entry in the Tags tab of Finder Preferences. It says "MacDemon is an Escaped Prisoner" ? Anyone else got this?

I don't have any cracked or illegal software installed on my machine (I know someone is bound to suggest that).

I couldn't find any other reference to this on the internet.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 07.24.09.png

Six Mac Abs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
Thanks for the response - After some poking around I found the culprit. I done a system search for MacDemon and it found some plist files in my downloads folder (strangely, none of which seemed to include that term). So I deleted those and the entry disappeared from my Tags. I decided to completely delete anything that was in my downloads folder, I only transferred them from the old machine last night ?.

Anyway, solved.

corvus corax

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
I noticed a very strange entry in the Tags tab of Finder Preferences. It says "MacDemon is an Escaped Prisoner"
Over a year later... I found the same strange Finder Preference Tag and your post is the only reference I could find. I tried to delete it several times without success then searched with EasyFind for MacDemon but had no results. At some point during the search the tag disappeared from the list. Strange indeed.

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
Hello MR Forumites

I've just got a brand new MBP M1 and whilst setting it up, I noticed a very strange entry in the Tags tab of Finder Preferences. It says "MacDemon is an Escaped Prisoner" ? Anyone else got this?

I don't have any cracked or illegal software installed on my machine (I know someone is bound to suggest that).

I couldn't find any other reference to this on the internet.

View attachment 1960617
Over a year later... I found the same strange Finder Preference Tag and your post is the only reference I could find. I tried to delete it several times without success then searched with EasyFind for MacDemon but had no results. At some point during the search the tag disappeared from the list. Strange indeed.
it comes from pirated software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.