Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Oh dear. We might have a big problem here. "macOS Catalina runs in its own read-only volume, so it’s separate from all other data on your Mac, and nothing can accidentally overwrite your system files." https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/
That's not good. But I'm sure there will be a workaround with System Integrity Protection disabled.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
That's not good. But I'm sure there will be a workaround with System Integrity Protection disabled.
I hope so. If not then we don't really have a chance. Here's hoping a plain package install will at least work.

Reactions: Appleak

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Mac Pro 5,1 has been dropped, ladies and gentlemen...
8dgMyBp.png

Reactions: netsrot39

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Download a copy of 10.15, straight from Apple.
Thanks, I know there is a process to do this manually but I already forgot what it is.
[doublepost=1559590842][/doublepost]
Mac Pro 5,1 has been dropped, ladies and gentlemen...
8dgMyBp.png
That icon really looks like a cheese grater. The resemblance is unreal.

When Apple heard us chanting "bring back the cheese grater," they must've taken that literally.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I guess not this time. My goal is to get it running as soon as I can and I could certainly use the help of people more or even less experienced than me. And thanks to @dosdude1 and @Larsvonhier, I now have my own MacBook4,1 to use for testing unsupported macOS on. As I'm currently the only developer who is developing a patcher tool that supports the MacBook4,1, this is very useful for me. Thanks a lot to both of them.
I would love to join you on this endeavor. I used to work on the patches on MacPostFactor and macOS Extractor but then have the time to because I was finishing college.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
I would love to join you on this endeavor. I used to work on the patches on MacPostFactor and macOS Extractor but then have the time to because I was finishing college.
I'm so happy to see you on this. I'm actually planning on making a new patcher for older versions (10.8-10.11) called OS X Patcher. This patcher will be based on the amazing work by you and the rest of OS X Hackers, and built from the code base of macOS Patcher. If you're willing to, your collaboration would be greatly appreciated.

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
I'm so happy to see you on this. I'm actually planning on making a new patcher for older versions (10.8-10.11) called OS X Patcher. This patcher will be based on the amazing work by you and the rest of OS X Hackers, and built from the code base of macOS Patcher. If you're willing to, your collaboration would be greatly appreciated.
More patchers is never a bad thing, but do you guys want to make a shared GitHub repo or similar listing how each patch works this time around? Rather than having 3 competing black-box tools.

Just a thought. I'll be posting any of my findings publicly as usual and I hope everybody does the same.

6 minutes remaining on my download! Let's do this!! :D

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Definitely. I would love to collaborate with you guys :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
More patchers is never a bad thing, but do you guys want to make a shared GitHub repo or similar listing how each patch works this time around? Rather than having 3 competing black-box tools.

Just a thought. I'll be posting any of my findings publicly as usual and I hope everybody does the same.

6 minutes remaining on my download! Let's do this!! :D
I'm planning on documenting how macOS Patcher works. I think using a bash script and simple Apple scripts for the Patch Integrity Protection GUI, allows somewhat experienced users to more easily understand how macOS Patcher works. I would like to document all of this as I have a vast knowledge base from browsing threads and reversing engineering other patchers but unfortunately I don't currently have the time. Luckily, summer holidays are in a month so I should have plenty of time away from school to work on macOS Patcher, OS X Patcher, and associated documentation to come. It's also a question of priority. I'd rather work on creating the tool, than documenting it. But as I said, once I have more time then I can catch up on that.
[doublepost=1559591992][/doublepost]
Definitely. I would love to collaborate with you guys :)
I think I'm the only one with any interest in a retro patcher like that. But I recently got a MacBook4,1, courtesy of @dosdude1, and @Larsvonhier so that will be a big asset in this venture. I've currently reversed engineered MacPostFactor and attempted to package it into a bash but I haven't tested anything yet. Of course it's much easier having one of the actual developers to help me with it than trying to understand a pre built app ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.