Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I use exchange for my work email. This has not been happening before, it may be from a recent update. I deleted all old passwords from keychain in an attempt to fix it but that did not resolve the issue.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Reactions: George Dawes

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have this same issue, only happens for my exchange and not iCloud or hotmail!

AppleCare have been no use!

hopefully this thread gets us an answer....

Reactions: George Dawes

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I use exchange for my work email. This has not been happening before, it may be from a recent update. I deleted all old passwords from keychain in an attempt to fix it but that did not resolve the issue.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
Yes, have the same issue. Sometimes I close out the message and account works. Sometimes I have to submit the password again.

A glitch we hope will be resolved in future releases.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I have this same issue, only happens for my exchange and not iCloud or hotmail!

AppleCare have been no use!

hopefully this thread gets us an answer....
Same, out AppleCare service though. I have iCloud, gmail, 1 exchange, 2 other on private hosting. Only exchange has a bug.
Yes, have the same issue. Sometimes I close out the message and account works. Sometimes I have to submit the password again.

A glitch we hope will be resolved in future releases.
I try that but the notification comes back quickly.

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Same, out AppleCare service though. I have iCloud, gmail, 1 exchange, 2 other on private hosting. Only exchange has a bug.

I try that but the notification comes back quickly.
Mine is after every sleep session, without fail I get a message asking for password. When I open the message, its already logged in and doesn't require any action! - It's an annoyance (bug).

Reactions: colourfastt

Macsan

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
This happened to me too. With the help of my Univ IT folks I fixed it by deleting my existing Exchange account and then creating a new one with the existing username, email address and password.
Since it is so widespread I'm guessing the fault is on Microsoft's end.

This did not affect my ability to get mail from the same exchange server using my iPhone or iPad.

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
This bug is only specific to MacOS, I don't ever get this message on IOS/iPadOS...

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
This happened to me too. With the help of my Univ IT folks I fixed it by deleting my existing Exchange account and then creating a new one with the existing username, email address and password.
Since it is so widespread I'm guessing the fault is on Microsoft's end.

This did not affect my ability to get mail from the same exchange server using my iPhone or iPad.
I would do that if I could but I think it would be a hassle for my IT dept. I do not use the MS exchange app if it exists, only Office 360 Word, Excel, and PPT as a college professor.
This bug is only specific to MacOS, I don't ever get this message on IOS/iPadOS...
Same.

Furthermore...

I deleted ALL the exchange related lines in keychain, First Aid, and restarted.... Since yesterday I have not seen a notification for my password. I will update if this happens again.

Reactions: MobiusStrip

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Furthermore...

I am still receiving the "Enter your password for "xxxx" in internet accounts" notifications. This is annoying but the mail app is working despite the password notification.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
iOS must be a little too eager to show the notification after a hiccup validating credentials with the server.

It's possible that some DNS servers might be contributing to the hiccups. If these notifications are numerous while on home wifi perhaps trying different DNS servers would help. Worth a shot, I guess.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
I assumed this is an issue with 2 factor security. If I have to fill in my password every notification, I then have to submit a texted code. I spoke with IT and they cannot disable the 2 factor security for email. This will be very annoying if I cannot make it stop showing up all day on the computer.

This has not been going on over the last few years until recently.

dwellsMBP

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Chiming in to say that this is an issue for me as well. Big Sur 11.3.1, M1 MacBook Air. I'm also running two-factor on my Outlook accounts.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
@dwellsMBP , I am on Big Sur 11.4, Late 2017 MBP. Try to update.

Update:

My work email still needs 2 factor, no way to avoid it.

I am unsure if Exchange and/or MacOS Mail had an update to resolve this. Recently, I do not see as many password notifications.

Will update if anything else shows up.

Last edited:

dwellsMBP

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
@OverSpun, as of 11.4 I haven't seen any of the error pop-ups, and both my accounts are running 2FA. Looks like they might have fixed it.

BamaGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is a frequent issue for me as well, not only with the Apple Mail app on an iMac or MacBook Air but also using my preferred mail client, Spark mail. It has to be the way the Microsoft 365 server at my work interfaces with MacOS Big Sur. I have found that if I just ignore it and close the window, it might comeback a time or two again, but it will eventually go away (until the next time my computer wakes from sleep or startup).

dwellsMBP

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
It is working better but I have to fill in 2FA sometimes. This only happens with MacOS, never on iOS or iPadOS. Oh well.
Try removing the accounts entirely from the internet accounts section in sys prefs and re-adding them now that you've upgraded to 11.4. Perhaps that'll help the authentication "stick" better. I'm using 2FA via the MS Authenticator iOS app, which supports password less login, so perhaps that auth method is why it's fixed for me and not you if you're using a different one.

Best of luck!

paulc130

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Same problem for me, except I enter the password as requested and it always tells me it is incorrect. However, my mail still seems to work. A headache for sure.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
This is a frequent issue for me as well, not only with the Apple Mail app on an iMac or MacBook Air but also using my preferred mail client, Spark mail. It has to be the way the Microsoft 365 server at my work interfaces with MacOS Big Sur. I have found that if I just ignore it and close the window, it might comeback a time or two again, but it will eventually go away (until the next time my computer wakes from sleep or startup).
If you're unfortunate enough to be using Spark, the Exchange server on the other side doesn't know anything about Big Sur.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
If you're unfortunate enough to be using Spark, the Exchange server on the other side doesn't know anything about Big Sur.
I am still using apple’s mail app and I have daily 2 factor w/ a code.

I do not have this on iPhone or iPad.
Is there a 3rd party app for mac that doesn’t show daily 2nd factor codes?

it’s annoying on weekends too, when I am not working.

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
I am still using apple’s mail app and I have daily 2 factor w/ a code.

I do not have this on iPhone or iPad.
Is there a 3rd party app for mac that doesn’t show daily 2nd factor codes?

it’s annoying on weekends too, when I am not working.
I'd like to know this as well. This question has been asked a thousand times on the internet and there is no resolution.
I'm close to just removing the account from my Mac completely and only using the 365 mail via my iPhone or webmail. Its pathetic that the issue still exists..

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
In my case it locks my Exchange account, every time after password change I was going through this hell. It was kind of going away after a week or so after allowing me randomly sync with exchange, but on Big Sur after the first time I changed my password it was completely gone for a week, locking me from account on all devices (timeout after several attempts with incorrect password). It took me a while to figure out it was MacOS account settings. All problems gone after removing it. Outlook still works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.