Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I migrated from 1Password to iCloud yesterday. Couldn't have been easier. Just export your records from 1Password in iCloud Keychain format (.csv) and you'll be fine. Prior to the export I made sure to clean up all my 1Password data though.
It was very easy. And iCloud Keychain is more than enough. Another important notes are saved in the notes app locked.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone got any idea how to fix this issue. Many of us don't have HomeKit enabled, and it's still present, even after a clean install, and reset, in latest Monterey, but not Big Sur.
openthread.thread.home.arpa

I made the leap to Monterey from the most recent Big Sur macOS.
After the Upgrade, All seems very good except this entry was created under Finder/Network.

I have no idea what it is or what it is for?
Should I be concerned?
Should I try to delete it somehow? (Could not delete in the finder)

Thank you for any feedback / thoughts
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.11.29 AM.png

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Did Apple update the default user icons?

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 20.53.13.png

I swear I don't recognise a few of them... Either way I'm glad they're still here! It's part of the Mac's charm.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone got any idea how to fix this issue. Many of us don't have HomeKit enabled, and it's still present, even after a clean install, and reset, in latest Monterey, but not Big Sur.
openthread.thread.home.arpa

View attachment 1881025

One thing I have noticed; I was out and about today, and found that when I was using my iPhone tethered, this 'network' disappeared, and only seems to appear when at home. Home exists of my MBP, iPhone and an Apple TV!

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Mbp 16” m1pro user here, with latest macOS Monterey installed.

How can i use this new SharePlay feature in Facetime?
I want to share my mac screen in a facetime call, but i do not see any option for this. Is it possible to depends on iOS version i have installed on my iPhone?

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.

I want to share my mac screen in a facetime call, but i do not see any option for this. Is it possible to depends on iOS version i have installed on my iPhone?
I'v been up for a while and had my coffee so I'll just ask; Have you done a internet search on "How to sharePlay in FaceTime on a MAC"?

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
I wouldn't have posted here before searching on the internet...havent found anything related to this. Just for iOS15

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

I don't think SharePlay is on macOS 12 yet. Coming in a future update.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
More of a positive rave, than a 'little thing', but I really love Monterey's default pink/purple wallpaper. It's so calming and hypnotizing in a way, definitely a nice contrast to Big Sur's chaotic 'rainbow' wallpaper. It's especially soothing when it's darker.

Reactions: srbNYC

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Has it been mentioned that macOS Monterey allows for locking access to Bluetooth? Either turning it off or on? Isn't it a new feature for Monterey?
It's accessible while holding the Option key when entering Bluetooth Preferences from the menubar dropdown when the Bluetooth icon is put out on the menubar.

Initially I was trying to reset my Bluetooth module or remove attached devices. Which failed.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 08.22.36.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Did Apple update the default user icons?

View attachment 1881074

I swear I don't recognise a few of them... Either way I'm glad they're still here! It's part of the Mac's charm.
These have been standard for a long time.. They are updated however, so that they are higher resolution.

But you're right, some actually have been implemented since e.g Snow Leopard and quite a few have been removed.

I think that you can go back at least to, dare I say, Yosemite / El Capitan, and find the same current macOS user profile images?!

Apple could do sure introduce the robot, dog and the swim feet user pictures again. But this time in a much higher resolution :)

Screenshot from my Snow Leopard installation just now.
Screen shot 2021-10-29 at 8.40.28 AM.png

Last edited:

spot4u

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I use the Calculator in Spotlight very often just to quickly do some math. However in MacOS 12 it has become very slow to actually show the result. I assume Spotlight first scans the db if it matches something and only comes up with the calculation result afterwards. At least my 2019 iMac takes roughly 5 secs to come up with the result below...

Search on iOS 15 shows the result in less than a sec.

1635511711051.png

Reactions: ErikGrim

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I use the Calculator in Spotlight very often just to quickly do some math. However in MacOS 12 it has become very slow to actually show the result. I assume Spotlight first scans the db if it matches something and only comes up with the calculation result afterwards. At least my 2019 iMac takes roughly 5 secs to come up with the result below...

View attachment 1883127
I've noticed this too. Glad I'm not the only one!

Reactions: spot4u

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
So I just got my first MacBook in almost 13 years. It's currently on 11.5.2 and it's absolutely beautiful. Is there any reason I should stay on Big Sur or should I go ahead and update to Monterey?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
So I just got my first MacBook in almost 13 years. It's currently on 11.5.2 and it's absolutely beautiful. Is there any reason I should stay on Big Sur or should I go ahead and update to Monterey?
Right away? perhaps not. I would get acquainted with macOS Big Sur. Apple offers an overview of what's new with Monterey on apple.com - I guess that's worth a look?

macOS Monterey is just a continuation of Big Sur after they have refreshed the visuals. However, I think macOS Monterey is alright. Might as well just be Big Sur 2.0 for me. It's hard to tell the difference between the two when using macOS.

So yeah,,, update ;) I think you might like it.

Also, congratulations on your first Mac in near 13 years - that's quite the pause.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Right away? perhaps not. I would get acquainted with macOS Big Sur. Apple offers an overview of what's new with Monterey on apple.com - I guess that's worth a look?

macOS Monterey is just a continuation of Big Sur after they have refreshed the visuals. However, I think macOS Monterey is alright. Might as well just be Big Sur 2.0 for me. It's hard to tell the difference between the two when using macOS.

So yeah,,, update ;) I think you might like it.

Also, congratulations on your first Mac in near 13 years - that's quite the pause.
Thank you! I’m blown away. It’s changed so much since the last time I updated my ‘08 Pro. The wife and I were in a movie while it was updating and now I’m out donating plasma and running errands so I haven’t even had a chance to check it out.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

View attachment 1883127
You are correct. This seems to be a casualty of the seemingly rewritten and improved Spotlight in Monterey. It seems to load web pages first before performing the calculation.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 12.29.04.png

New Tips icon and notifications. When you press it you get a window that opens similar to a help window, so no app icon in the dock.

Would be interesting to know where this Tips icon is kept in the system to see it full size.

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland

View attachment 1883127
I've never thought to use Spotlight for maths, but I've just tried.

Some simple stuff (I tried 7+3, ln(10), log(10) and pi*2 ) and each time I got a result in about a second.

Latest MacOS 12.1 beta (Intel 2020 MBA)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.