Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Stage Manager: Holding "Shift" on the keyboard, while clicking on a window in the side bar, will add that window to the current one (no need to drag and drop).
wowww THANKS, wish I had discovered or known that earlier.

How did you find out?

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
Whats the latest build number of the latest beta? My version is 22A5321d. Haven‘t received a new beta in 2-3 weeks now.

PeeWee1963

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
Why should I test an macOS Beta where development has apparently stopped? I wiped the beta partition from my MBP and will wait for minor release 1 or 2.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Why should I test an macOS Beta where development has apparently stopped? I wiped the beta partition from my MBP and will wait for minor release 1 or 2.
I agree. We’re now two betas behind and I would not be surprised if the release date gets pushed back to coincide with iPadOS. Mercifully Ventura is pretty stable…

Reactions: adrianlondon

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
I don't understand this staggered release of iOS, iPadOS and MacOS, particularly in a day and age when the three are so tightly linked. So once everyone hops onto iOS 16 and for example switches to shared photo library, they won't be able to see their photos on their Macs or iPads for another month???

Also, where is Ventura beta 6? Is the MacOS development team asleep?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I don't understand this staggered release of iOS, iPadOS and MacOS, particularly in a day and age when the three are so tightly linked. So once everyone hops onto iOS 16 and for example switches to shared photo library, they won't be able to see their photos on their Macs or iPads for another month???

Also, where is Ventura beta 6? Is the MacOS development team asleep?
there are 3 teams; maybe they're all doing their jobs and all the issues just don't resolve at the same time. and maybe (re the next ventura beta), they're trying to get things right, and not rushing.

seems reasonable to me, but i'd rather wait for fixes than have a rushed release...

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
there are 3 teams; maybe they're all doing their jobs and all the issues just don't resolve at the same time. and maybe (re the next ventura beta), they're trying to get things right, and not rushing.

seems reasonable to me, but i'd rather wait for fixes than have a rushed release...
I agree with you. Just pointing out that it’d be nice if they tried to coordinate the releases to make all the updates more seamless.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I agree with you. Just pointing out that it’d be nice if they tried to coordinate the releases to make all the updates more seamless.
i get it. but maybe they feel that, for example, there are urgent things in the ios update, and it's ready, so they release it. but perhaps the ventura beta needs more time.

we signed up for the beta program; apple does what it needs to (and or/chooses) to do

adam-stark

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Any chance for beta 6 today does anyone think ? I am still suffering from long boot times (like 3 mins) that was introduced in Beta 4 and 5... (re-install didn't help)....

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
BS. You’re just making things up.

The classic one has been around for 21 years for a reason. It’s damn good. If it wasn’t it would have changed much earlier.

This new one is Apple making the mistake of following the competitors instead of remaining the best.
I know I’m months late to responding to this, but the old app was absolutely not around unchanged for 21 years.
In fact, it was a running gag for several years in a row that Apple would just change the placement of all of the system preferences because… they could, with no logic or reason why.
By Monterey, the app was just a mess in my opinion.
Just vague categories that meant nothing.
How were “software update” and “mouse” in the same category, but “language/region” and “date and time” were not?
Why were “accessibility” and “Internet accounts” in the same category, but “notifications” and “sounds” were not?
It made no sense.
Not to say the new one is perfect, but it’s got all of your most used stuff at the top like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, sounds, appearance, and all the other stuff near the bottom. And there’s a lot less hidden things.

Reactions: macrlz9

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
I know I’m months late to responding to this, but the old app was absolutely not around unchanged for 21 years.
In fact, it was a running gag for several years in a row that Apple would just change the placement of all of the system preferences because… they could, with no logic or reason why.
By Monterey, the app was just a mess in my opinion.
Just vague categories that meant nothing.
How were “software update” and “mouse” in the same category, but “language/region” and “date and time” were not?
Why were “accessibility” and “Internet accounts” in the same category, but “notifications” and “sounds” were not?
It made no sense.
Not to say the new one is perfect, but it’s got all of your most used stuff at the top like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, sounds, appearance, and all the other stuff near the bottom. And there’s a lot less hidden things.
It was good before catalina, but then they added that useless avatar view and kept tacking on new pref panes with random "modern" designs which is what made preferences messy in my opinion. I appreciate that they're bringing consistency back with new preferences, but there are very questionable decisions regarding navigation.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
It was good before catalina, but then they added that useless avatar view and kept tacking on new pref panes with random "modern" designs which is what made preferences messy in my opinion. I appreciate that they're bringing consistency back with new preferences, but there are very questionable decisions regarding navigation.
Oh I agree it has issues (why does it always open to Appearance?) but I still think it’s better.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
What I don't like about Ventura is that
  • The menu bar is translucent;
  • You cannot set it to stay black by default at all times.
There are apps out there like Top Notch, Boring Old Menu Bar, or even a 3rd party terminal command line ChangeMenuBarColor, that are able to turn the menu bar black, but it only works IF you stick to one single wallpaper. If, like in my case, wallpapers are set to auto-rotate after a few minutes, that will not work.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
What I don't like about Ventura is that
  • The menu bar is translucent;
  • You cannot set it to stay black by default at all times.
There are apps out there like Top Notch, Boring Old Menu Bar, or even a 3rd party terminal command line ChangeMenuBarColor, that are able to turn the menu bar black, but it only works IF you stick to one single wallpaper. If, like in my case, wallpapers are set to auto-rotate after a few minutes, that will not work.
Create a photoshop action to add a black background to your wallpapers and do a batch run?

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Does anyone know where the currency format has gone to? We used to be able to change the grouping and decimal separators in previous macOS versions, but I can’t seem to find them in Ventura. Either I didn’t see them or Apple decided to completely remove those options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.