Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado

macOS 14 (Beta 1)

Release Date ― June 5, 2023
Build Number ― 23A5257q
Update Size ― 5.83 GB (From 13.4 Final)
macOS Storage Size after updating: 19.17 GB
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― 10151.0.82.0.1
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 2005.0.0.0.0

New Features & Changes
  • New typing indicator systemwide
  • New Lock Screen, and when logging in, a nice smooth animation animates windows into place and fades stuff out
  • New option for moving wallpapers for your lock screen
  • Widgets can now be placed on your desktop. They can also take widgets from your iPhone.
  • You can now add reactions to your video calls, similar to iMessage effects
  • Stickers can now be inported from your iPhone
  • Web apps, Safari Profiles
  • New animation for notifications
Resolved Issues
New Issues

• Excessive heating
  • Clicking the Lock Screen multiple times can cause the Lock Screen to crash, ultimately logging you out of your Mac.
  • Safari may have weird visual glitches when browsing the web at certain times
  • Messages have a chance to not send messages
Remaining Issues
  • QuickTime Player does not record the first couple of seconds when you use a Microphone (FB10086556)
    • Workaround: Wait around 5 seconds after seeing the yellow indicator in the Menu Bar, or use a different app for your recording needs
    • Issue present since macOS 10.13
  • Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
    • Issue present since macOS 13.0
Untested Issues

Additional Notes
  • Please know, Memory Management has always been an issue on any OS (not just Apple's). If you believe there is a Memory Leak, please go to the Apple Menu > Restart > Restart to fix it.
  • When a new macOS release comes out, all issues automatically go to "Untested Issues" until they are moved by someone. Issues that stay in Untested for 3 releases (beta or smooth) will be removed from all future threads. When there is a new macOS release, please be sure to let us know about the issue's status by moving it to either "Remaining Issues" or "Resolved Issues"
  • macOS 14 Sonoma will be installed via a Delta Update in System Settings. Please be aware about this and the update won’t install with an installer.
  • macOS 14 is officially supported on the following devices. If your device is not listed below, it has unfortunately been dropped by Apple. Any efforts of trying to get your Mac running macOS 14, including bugs should be discussed in this thread.
    • MacBook Air: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M2
    • MacBook Pro: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M1 Pro/Max, M2, M2 Pro/Max
    • Mac mini: 2018, M1, M2, M2 Pro
    • iMac: Pro 2017, 4K 2019, 5K 2019, 5K 2020, M1
    • Mac Pro: 2019
    • Mac Studio: M1, M2
  • macOS Somona Preview
  • macOS 14 Release Notes
  • Apple Security Updates
  • Become an Apple Beta Tester

Feel free to add in any issues or new features that you have spotted in this release by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
LWScreenShot 2023-06-05 at 5.49.10 PM.png

New login screen. It's only been 20 minutes, but it's running well so far on my MBP 14" (M1 Pro).

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Widgets are broken, as usual. Also why is still there no Music widget... I feel like they introduce changes around Widgets each year and still they're broken...

• Haha
Reactions: Tyschwifty

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
New wallpapers, but no new screensavers. 👀 I guess with the new functionality the screensaver and the wallpaper is combined into one – if so, they should get rid of the Screensaver section...
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 23.45.17.png

• Love

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
can someone try if notifications are working for macrumors web app?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
The Dolby Atmos icon seems to have been repositioned – not sure why. But it's still the same flakey behaviour as before.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 00.18.11.png

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
How did you manage to get them work in Safari? Maybe i was wrong, i was not reffering to the ones that you have to check by clicking the bell in the upper right of the page. I mean push notifications with badges on the app shortcut.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
How did you manage to get them work in Safari? Maybe i was wrong, i was not reffering to the ones that you have to check by clicking the bell in the upper right of the page. I mean push notifications with badges on the app shortcut.
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 00.20.51.png

Check on the front page of MacRumours, I think if notifications are not enabled, it shows a prompt to enable them there. And I guess in the Safari preferences you can check if they have been blocked by mistake.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 00.21.42.png

Reactions: kvlq

TechAndOSWorld

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2018
Slovakia
New wallpapers, but no new screensavers. 👀 I guess with the new functionality the screensaver and the wallpaper is combined into one – if so, they should get rid of the Screensaver section... View attachment 2213179
I kinda don't understand how these Aerial wallpapers are supposed to work. I can get them to move when I lock my Mac, but they don't move when I'm on the desktop. That's kinda what I expected, and that's what I used to do when I was 13, back in the macOS Sierra days. I used to set a fan-made Aerial screen saver as a desktop wallpaper with a terminal command.

Snímka obrazovky 2018-02-03 o 9.14.48.png

Apple has already nabbed desktop gadgets from Vista, why not DreamScene as well...

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
I kinda don't understand how these Aerial wallpapers are supposed to work. I can get them to move when I lock my Mac, but they don't move when I'm on the desktop. That's kinda what I expected, and that's what I used to do when I was 13, back in the macOS Sierra days. I used to set a fan-made Aerial screen saver as a desktop wallpaper with a terminal command.

View attachment 2213261

Apple has already nabbed desktop gadgets from Vista, why not DreamScene as well...
Ye, my understanding is that the lock screen it's like a screensaver and then it becomes still as a desktop wallpaper image. It's not bad as an idea, I guess, but to be honest, I don't really like the wallpapers they've included and it's bit sad this is the major new feature in macOS... wish they could do more for Pro users, update the Music app (which hasn't changed much in 5 years now), there's so much to do... but adding wallpapers is the easiest, I guess.

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Kind of insane that video preview background bug still has not been fixed, that's 3 versions of macOS now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.