Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Well, it did not work. I prepared a full Monterey (latest version) boot disk on an external SSD and the MBA 9.1 boots from it fine but no firmware update runs. Looking online Monterey seems fussy about not having an Apple-branded boot disk when trying to update firmware and some people have forced it using teminal to load/run the correct firmware file from the OS installer. Seems like a lot of hassle so I'll just be happy with 526.0.0.0.0 for the time being.

iErich

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Done.

Attachments

• sonoma_14.5.png
    sonoma_14.5.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 75

alexjohnson

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Danger Will Robinson! Simply updating from OCLP 1.4.2 to 1.4.3 killed my MacOS 14.4.1 install on MacMini 2014. Gets to login-screen and accepts password but spinner never stops spinning. Tried a Safe boot but same problem. Not sure what went wrong.
Argh! I have this too. I had a perfectly stable 1.4.3 with 14.4 but even though I see 14.5 seems to work fine on a late 2012 mini with 1.4.3, "out of an abundance of caution" decided I would use 1.5N first. That was fine; it was its root patches that seem to have got me. I had hoped I might get into Safe Mode and revert rise root patches, but I continue to get the sundial (as I call it) at login. I can connect to the computer through File Sharing and noted the two external drives normally connected to it were not available so I disconnected them to restart; no change.

I have seen your follow-up which is to nuke-and-pave. Any other solutions before I do likewise?

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
hi everyone. booted my mini today to a black screen desktop and no graphics acceleration. thought it might be a post-install patch issue so i repatched and restarted. now after login it just hangs during filevault decryption.

no recent updates to macos or oclp so what could be the issue? the versions i’m running are in my signature below

edit: guess you can’t see signatures on mobile… 2012 Mac mini 6,2 OCLP v1.4.2 Sonoma 14.4

edit 2: logging into safe mode also hangs

edit 3: tried reinstalling macos and that errored out. So now all it shows is Macintosh HD - Data??

I’m lost now.

Update: downgraded to ventura. sonoma doesn’t work on OCLP

Last edited:

kerchenit

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2024
I try to install Sonoma and Ventura on macbook pro 2015 a1502 with intel iris 6100 graphics with latest OCLP. Both systems work well, but the video freezes for a split second every few seconds. What do you think is the reason for this behavior? And can this be fixed? There is no such thing on Monterey

Reactions: schnaps

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Normally on a downgrade your messages , photo library won’t be compatible after because it’s used in a newer version of the app even emails so you have to delete that database and resync with iCloud if you have it.
so you can’t actually downgrade from sonoma to ventura; you have to fresh install for icloud to sync properly?

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
I ended up downgrading an iMac 16,2 (Late 2015) back to OCLP 0.6.8 and Ventura 13.6.7 because of boot up issues with OCLP 1.4.3, 1.5.0n and Sonoma. It would take several attempts to get it to boot up. I was hoping that an update would address the issue, but my latest attempt at 1.5.0n and 14.5 rendered it pretty much unbootable directly from the internal drive.

I had to clean install ventura and manually copy the data back over, which wasn't much in this case, and now it's back to booting cleanly with no discernible issues. Hopefully the boot problems with sonoma will get resolved at some point, but I'm not to up on debugging the boot up process so I don't think any of the information I was able to provide was very helpful.

Reactions: tennisproha

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I ended up downgrading an iMac 16,2 (Late 2015) back to OCLP 0.6.8 and Ventura 13.6.7 because of boot up issues with OCLP 1.4.3, 1.5.0n and Sonoma. It would take several attempts to get it to boot up. I was hoping that an update would address the issue, but my latest attempt at 1.5.0n and 14.5 rendered it pretty much unbootable directly from the internal drive.

I had to clean install ventura and manually copy the data back over, which wasn't much in this case, and now it's back to booting cleanly with no discernible issues. Hopefully the boot problems with sonoma will get resolved at some point, but I'm not to up on debugging the boot up process so I don't think any of the information I was able to provide was very helpful.
Mine was working fine until this morning and now i’m completely locked out. I documented my issues above.

I’m also going to downgrade to Ventura since that was when my mac ran the smoothest. However since I’m logged into iCloud on the Sonoma volume, I’m not sure how it’ll affect syncing since I can’t access it to log out?

Last edited:

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
I'm not sure about the implications of being logged into iCloud from Sonoma. I would think that logging into iCloud from Ventura should work fine anyway, but it might depend to some degree on what iCloud services you had active.

0.6.8 was the last OCLP update before Sonoma support if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't sure if the Sonoma support was involved in the issue I was having so I wanted to go back to the version before Sonoma stuff was integrated.

Reactions: tennisproha

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
so you can’t actually downgrade from sonoma to ventura; you have to fresh install for icloud to sync properly?

If you opened photos on Sonoma it’s not compatible with Ventura and so on , if you do a fresh install of Ventura yes it will sync you will get this on photos messages ,mail and so on. Easiest way us if you kept a Ventura Time Machine backup.
1f5f89b461ad54e5825952d2bcac5b14.jpg

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
If you opened photos on Sonoma it’s not compatible with Ventura and so on , if you do a fresh install of Ventura yes it will sync you will get this on photos messages ,mail and so on. Easiest way us if you kept a Ventura Time Machine backup.
1f5f89b461ad54e5825952d2bcac5b14.jpg
You can try to repair your photo library. If I recall I was able to repair my library that I had opened in Sonoma to work again in Monterey. From inside Monterey follow this apple support document -

nikita-727

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2024
Hi Everyone, I have just installed macOS 14.5 Sonoma on my MBPr 13 Mid 2014 (3GHz 2-Core i7, Intel Iris 1535 MB, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3). After each start it opens the Keyboard Settings. Does anyone know how to solve it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 7.59.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 7.59.49 PM.png
    356.4 KB · Views: 27

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Hi Everyone, I have just installed macOS 14.5 Sonoma on my MBPr 13 Mid 2014 (3GHz 2-Core i7, Intel Iris 1535 MB, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3). After each start it opens the Keyboard Settings. Does anyone know how to solve it?
Is the keyboard that I assume you have connected working? What you write would perhaps indicate a missing or faulty keyboard.

alexjohnson

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Argh! I have this too. I had a perfectly stable 1.4.3 with 14.4 but even though I see 14.5 seems to work fine on a late 2012 mini with 1.4.3, "out of an abundance of caution" decided I would use 1.5N first. That was fine; it was its root patches that seem to have got me. I had hoped I might get into Safe Mode and revert rise root patches, but I continue to get the sundial (as I call it) at login. I can connect to the computer through File Sharing and noted the two external drives normally connected to it were not available so I disconnected them to restart; no change.

I have seen your follow-up which is to nuke-and-pave. Any other solutions before I do likewise?
That was a little rocky but my Mac mini 6,2 (Late 2012) is back, on 14.5 (23F79) on OCLP 1.4.3. I reused as much of the contents of ~/Library as I could which might not have helped with iCloud preferences and stability but a couple of hard restarts later, all is well. I see no reason to roll the dice on 1.5N again given that it all now works.

Top tip by the way—I know many swear by CCC but my version, through trial and error (!), is after OCLP has created the boot USB, which of course erases the whole drive, I then partition it with a 16GB slice and add a Catalina installer, the last version natively supported, but which supports and can partition or add volumes to an AFPS-formatted drive. If something goes wrong I can then add a Volume to the internal drive for a Catalina install.

⌘R on the other hand gets me an internet restore of Mountain Lion and it can't see AFPS, so there's no way to boot-strap back as you can't get to the more modern macOS installers from Mountain Lion. I definitely learned this the hard way the last time I had a serious OCLP issue. Also, in my experiments, you have to install OCLP Sonoma onto the new Catalina install; an install over the failed Sonoma that is why you have the problem doesn't address the underlying problem and it will likely continue not to boot, or whatever the issue is. But, you can mount that unbootale volume, and get all your files and many of your preferences off it, and once done, erase the old / failed Sonoma. For me at least this is a lot faster than a full restore as you are simply moving most of the large files from one volume to another.

Reactions: rehkram

maurer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
Hmm... did you try rebooting immediately afterwards?

I've gotten in the habit of rebooting after changing anything in settings or macOS in general, it's become a part of my testing SOP
Doesn't work reboot, still mouse cannot be visible in my devices.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
I am using the integrated keyboard and touchpad. Both work fine.
OK. My only other suggestion would then be to rebuild OCLP and redo the patches as that has solved some niggling issues here over time. Should not hurt at least. YMMV.

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007

I think my old iMac might have a hardware issue of some kind. It seems to boot find off a USB, but it's back to not wanting to boot hardly at all off the internal drives.

Unfortunately this iMac is one that has the screen attached by adhesive, so it's a bit of a pain to pull apart and troubleshoot, but it looks like I may have to bite the bullet and try the drives one at a time and see if I can get it to boot normally every time off an internal drive.

For whatever reason the problem happened to start with the Sonoma update and going back to Ventura and the old OCLP seemed fine for a few days, but the problems came back. 🤷‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.