Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
After growing up with Windows, I realized a dream: I bought a Macbook Air M3. As I'm new to the system, I deleted some apps that I wouldn't use, such as GarageBand and others. However, apps like Books, AppleTV, Finance, etc., still remain on the system and MacOS won't let me uninstall them. Is there any way I can delete them without harming the system?

Reactions: rm5

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil

Marcopolo53

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Toronto
While technically possible, it’s complicated, tedious, can lead to data loss and I would advise against such endeavour :)
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tem-volume-as-writeable.2332937/post-30822017

"macOs Debloating thread" https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-debloating-thread.2278758/
Technically to do what one implies can be done can not be done

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that cannot be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
After growing up with Windows, I realized a dream: I bought a Macbook Air M3. As I'm new to the system, I deleted some apps that I wouldn't use, such as GarageBand and others. However, apps like Books, AppleTV, Finance, etc., still remain on the system and MacOS won't let me uninstall them. Is there any way I can delete them without harming the system?
As others have said, probably not a good idea to touch those...

I don't really consider those apps "bloatware," as they aren't useless, and they don't slow down the system. Stuff on Windows like "Intel Power Management" or "Dell Control Center" or "Lenovo Performance Manager" - THAT is bloatware.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
On modern macOS (post Catalina) what you see as your internal disk is actually two 'volumes' (much like partitions); the signed system volume which is locked, unwritable, non-duplicatable, and can only be created by an apple macOS installer, and the other a regular volume to store everything else.

The first one, typically called Macintosh HD, contains the system and some of the basic applications cannot be modified, and the second, typically called Macintosh HD - Data, make up a so called 'volume group' and shows as Macintosh HD in finder. You can see the detailed structure in Disk Utilities, if you select 'show all volumes'.

So the contents of your apps folder is in fact a combination of the apps macOS installer installed on the locked system volume and apps in the apps folder that you have installed manually on the writable '- Data' volume.

As an example, when you use the "Erase this mac" option in system settings; this simply erases the Data volume (plus it logs out of iCloud account etc) so if you sell it, on first startup the buyer will be greeted with the "Hello" screen as if it was new, and be able to set up a new user account.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

If you're new to MacOS and miss the window management from Windows I recommend this highly:

Not bloatware at all – usefullware! :D

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
On modern macOS (post Catalina) what you see as your internal disk is actually two 'volumes' (much like partitions); the signed system volume which is locked, unwritable, non-duplicatable, and can only be created by an apple macOS installer, and the other a regular volume to store everything else.

The first one, typically called Macintosh HD, contains the system and some of the basic applications cannot be modified, and the second, typically called Macintosh HD - Data, make up a so called 'volume group' and shows as Macintosh HD in finder. You can see the detailed structure in Disk Utilities, if you select 'show all volumes'.

So the contents of your apps folder is in fact a combination of the apps macOS installer installed on the locked system volume and apps in the apps folder that you have installed manually on the writable '- Data' volume.

As an example, when you use the "Erase this mac" option in system settings; this simply erases the Data volume (plus it logs out of iCloud account etc) so if you sell it, on first startup the buyer will be greeted with the "Hello" screen as if it was new, and be able to set up a new user account.

Images of Monterey with some default apps removed https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...te-news-app-on-monterey.2334508/post-30851797
If words and images are not enough, I'll post a video.
Thanks a lot for the help. Apparently, the best thing to do is leave it the way it is.
Strange description of 'Bloatware'.

"The term also commonly refers to software preinstalled on a device, usually by the hardware manufacturer, that is mostly unwanted by the purchaser."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat#Bloatware
Exactly.
If you're new to MacOS and miss the window management from Windows I recommend this highly:

Coincidentally, a friend just gave me this same recommendation. Thank you very much! As I work with a lot of PDF and WORD documents, I missed these shortcuts.

Reactions: star-affinity

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
As others have said, probably not a good idea to touch those...

I don't really consider those apps "bloatware," as they aren't useless, and they don't slow down the system. Stuff on Windows like "Intel Power Management" or "Dell Control Center" or "Lenovo Performance Manager" - THAT is bloatware.
Looking at it this way, bloatware are really these pre-installed applications that overload the system.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
You can see the applications that are on the system volume at /System/Applications. When you see them in Finder, as if located in /Applications, that is just a trick of Finder. I think Apple's position on this is that most users use Apple's own applications rather than installing their own. They don't want rogue versions of these applications installed by accident threatening their users. So they lock these applications down by placing them on the sealed volume.

This redirection is done with firmlinks. There's a great article here https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/working-apfs-volume-groups.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
If you're hard up for disk space and never use those applications, go ahead and delete iMovie and GarageBand, as they do take up a good chunk of space. The iWork applications (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers) can also be removed, though they are much smaller. I wouldn't worry about apps like TV, Photos and Books — they're very small and hard to remove, anyway.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If you're hard up for disk space and never use those applications, go ahead and delete iMovie and GarageBand, as they do take up a good chunk of space. The iWork applications (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers) can also be removed, though they are much smaller. I wouldn't worry about apps like TV, Photos and Books — they're very small and hard to remove, anyway.
if you're deleting garageband, check the HD>Library>Application Support AND Audio folders; a ton of stuff there (instruments, audio loops) worth deleting too.

deleting some of the default apps (chess, stocks, etc) and gaining back about 100 megs or so hardly seems worthwhile... just my 2 cents (or 100 megs...) 😉

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
if you're deleting garageband, check the HD>Library>Application Support AND Audio folders; a ton of stuff there (instruments, audio loops) worth deleting too.

deleting some of the default apps (chess, stocks, etc) and gaining back about 100 megs or so hardly seems worthwhile... just my 2 cents (or 100 megs...) 😉
Excellent tip! I did it! Very good! Really, even deleting the app, there were a lot of things there!

The other apps that there is no option to remove, I will leave in the system. It's not worth moving because of the amount of space I'll gain.

Reactions: fisherking

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Another good window manager is Magnet; I've assigned mouse buttons with USB Overdrive to move windows from one screen to the other, snap half left/right/ full screen, etc.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Another good window manager is Magnet; I've assigned mouse buttons with USB Overdrive to move windows from one screen to the other, snap half left/right/ full screen, etc.
Thank you for the tip. As I've been saying, I grew up using Windows, I'm having to learn to walk again. It feels like I had a stroke and I'm learning to walk again!

But I'm in love with the system, the device and the fluidity of how it all works.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Thank you for the tip. As I've been saying, I grew up using Windows, I'm having to learn to walk again. It feels like I had a stroke and I'm learning to walk again!

But I'm in love with the system, the device and the fluidity of how it all works.
Glad to help. There are a lot of good utilities that ket you customize and expand MacOS. Aome of my favorites must haves are:

Default Folder X that makes the Save/Open dialogue more powerful as well as adds useful features such as list of last folders/files favorites, etc.

Alfred - Spot Light on steroids and more.

UBar - Dock replacement that is very Windows like

Grammerian - spelling and grammar checker

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Default Folder X that makes the Save/Open dialogue more powerful as well as adds useful features such as list of last folders/files favorites, etc.
I'll have to add my own favorite, then:
https://www.popclip.app/

Select any text, anywhere, in any app, and a little contextual menu shows up and lets you:
copy, paste, cut etc
search the internet
look up in dictionary
make a note in Notes app
create a reminder
open in google Translate
… and many more options.
You can customize it to have only what you need.
Cloudn't live without it now.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017

And things like Garage band can always be downloaded again at any time if you need them by going to the app store.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

Magnet is nice too (I have it) and doesn't cost much but I think it's a bit cool that Rectangle is open source. :)

Glad to help. There are a lot of good utilities that ket you customize and expand MacOS. Aome of my favorites must haves are:

Alfred is great. Nice developer. Raycast is also cool: https://www.raycast.com/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.