Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I'm using a 2019 i9 iMac, and have been having a raft of issues after updating to 12.7.1:

1) Mouse cursor freezes about once/day, requiring hard reboot.

2) Text entry is sometimes strange. When I type, the letters on the next line are broken by hard returns. E.g., suppose I'm typing an email, and the next line is my signature line, starting with "Best,". Then if I type one more letter on the line above the signature line, the signature line itself will become:

B
est,

With two more letters, it will become:

B
e
st,

And so on. Just bizzare. I plugged in a different KB, and found no difference.

3) The internal SSD keeps becoming corrupted, as indicated by it failing disk repair until I do the repair multiple times from Recovery. But then after I repair it, when I check again a few days later, I find it again fails repair, forcing me to go through the cycle again. Granted, I have an aftermarket SSD (2 TB WD SN850, installed by an Apple authorized service center). But I've had it for a year without problems nos. 1 and 2.

Here's what I've tried:
1) Disk repair (which seems to be temporary)
2) PRAM reset
3) Reinstalled OS
4) Booted into Safe Mode (which clears some caches), and then rebooted normally.

Suggestions? I suppose I could simply wipe everything, abandoning Monterey to do a clean install of Sonoma...

Last edited:

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I'm also having some issues as well, but mainly in safari. You said that you did a complete reinstall of Monterey? Did you have usb drive or did you use this method:

macos-sonoma-recovery-reinstall-macos-sonoma.png

But of with Monterey instead of Sonoma.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I'm also having some issues as well, but mainly in safari. You said that you did a complete reinstall of Monterey? Did you have usb drive or did you use this method:

macos-sonoma-recovery-reinstall-macos-sonoma.png

But of with Monterey instead of Sonoma.
Other than a USB Drive, there are actually three different methods. I used the first (Command-R), which uses the built-in recovery system. Thus it probably re-uses the one I downloaded originally. I suppose if that is somehow corrupted, I should do internet recovery instead. But I'm not sure if I can do internet recovery to Monterey, since the default for internet recovery is to the latest compatible OS, which would be Sonoma.
[ https://support.apple.com/guide/mac...an-intel-based-mac-mchl338cf9a8/12.0/mac/12.0 ]

Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery​

1. Restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations until you see the startup screen:
    • Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.
    • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.
    • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.
  3. If you see a lock, enter the password for your Mac.
  4. If you have multiple volumes on your disk, select the volume you want to recover, then click Next.
  5. If requested, choose an administrator account, click Next, enter the password for the account, then click Continue.
    When the Recovery app appears in the menu bar, you can choose any of the available options in the window or the menu bar.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
My issue after the upgrade on Mac pro 6.1 is as soon as I log in after the reboot, my color screen changed to black & white...then this morning discovered it had rebooted because of a problem. It appears 12.7.1 is buggy for sure...it seems that it's something to do with user space...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.