Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I have a quick question:
  • Can you use a macOS Monterey Installer downloaded on an Apple Silicon Mac on an Intel Mac? OR
  • Do you have to download an Intel-specific version of macOS Monterey on an Intel-equipped Mac so that you can use it on another Intel-equipped Mac?
Thanks!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I am 99% sure that the answer is yes. Installers are universal. I tested this when I got my first Silicon Mac and still had an Intel. I can't find any supporting links except this one.

Reactions: gank41

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Awesome, thanks! These installers are sooooo huge these days that I prefer to download the latest version ahead of time and then use them to upgrade my Macs instead of directly downloading it directly from the App Store, which can take ages!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Awesome, thanks! These installers are sooooo huge these days that I prefer to download the latest version ahead of time and then use them to upgrade my Macs instead of directly downloading it directly from the App Store, which can take ages!

I do the same, but I get them from the Apple servers with the excellent free MDS app which also makes it very easy to create bootable installers.

Last edited:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I am 99% sure that the answer is yes. Installers are universal. I tested this when I got my first Silicon Mac and still had an Intel. I can't find any supporting links except this one.

This is a post I made at that time. So not just the Install Assistant file (what is downloaded) but actual bootable installers work across Intel/Silicon. But not a bootable external using macOS.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I use an app called Download Full Installer, does the same as the other app above, and pulls from the same links Mr Macintosh uses on his site. I definitely prefer getting the Direct Installers from Apple. I'm also pretty sure that when you download the large .pkg file like this app does, and then install it, the 'Universal' part is that it then puts the correct App Installer in your Applications folder.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I could be completely wrong (and welcome correction from others).
I'm thinking that the days of the "universal binary boot drives" are over.

The installer app itself may be "universal", but it will install "CPU specific" versions of the OS, depending on which OS is running it.

Seems to me if you are using an Apple Silicon Mac to create a bootable external drive, the end result will be a drive that can boot an Apple Silicon Mac, BUT NOT an Intel-based Mac.

And the same goes for "doing it the other way".
You can't use an Intel Mac to create a bootable external drive that will also boot Apple Silicon.

Please note the emphasis on "external" drive...

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I could be completely wrong (and welcome correction from others).
I'm thinking that the days of the "universal binary boot drives" are over.

The installer app itself may be "universal", but it will install "CPU specific" versions of the OS, depending on which OS is running it.

Seems to me if you are using an Apple Silicon Mac to create a bootable external drive, the end result will be a drive that can boot an Apple Silicon Mac, BUT NOT an Intel-based Mac.

And the same goes for "doing it the other way".
You can't use an Intel Mac to create a bootable external drive that will also boot Apple Silicon.

Please note the emphasis on "external" drive...
Yes you are right (as I said in post#6 above). The summary is:-
-Downloaded Install Assistant files.....binary
-Bootable Installers.....binary
-Installed macOS on external.....will only work on either Intel or Silicon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.