Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Actually, I think that there might be drivers for opening at least some of those filesystems in Windows (even if read-only).

The thing of it is that it is lesser performing and horrible to use, comparatively speaking. And not just by a small amount. A 20-40% drop in performance is significant. As you put it, "it works," but does so badly because the method by which it accelerates is utter trash. It has precisely nothing to do with gaming. In fact, it's for basic productivity and desktop tasks where this flaw is most obvious and critical.

As for the ignorance-is-bliss argument, I suppose that's valid, but now that you know the problem is there and can see the difference for yourself, (again, test on classic.mouseaccuracy.com in both environments if you don't believe me) it can't be un-seen. Especially if your day job requires precise mouse use for hours on end like mine. If you're just leisurely goofing around on the web here and there, not doing anything mission-critical or time-sensitive, then I suppose it matters less, but even then, you should still have higher standards for technology. This was figured out decades ago, so it's not too much to ask of a modern operating system.
Now I've tried that test, on macOS, it presents something radically different to my normal use of the mouse.

For example, I might be reading some text and realise there is a mistake. So I move the mouse pointer to the location of the problem and am thinking about the issue. Ready to select and overtype or whatever. Indeed, I often give my mouse no conscious thought - and it is often exactly where it needs to be.

And a lot of the time I know where things are - they don't just appear randomly.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
I think you said it yourself, for what you do you need something overly precise. I work in graphics, sit in front of Adobe CC all day long and zero issues with an Apple Magic Mouse and no difference from using some generic Logitech bluetooth mouse on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 11. I am not target practicing dots on a screen and doing that faster and more accurate would not change how I work or increase my speed.
If what you do doesn't involve moving the mouse much or not having to be precise in what you hit, then that may make OSX's deficiency in this area less impactful. But this doesn't change the fact that it is inherently more frustrating to use no matter how short the session. Just because you haven't noticed it (or, more likely, are afraid to realize the truth) doesn't mean that it's not a massive and debilitating issue for folks who actually want to get something done.

Now I've tried that test, on macOS, it presents something radically different to my normal use of the mouse.

For example, I might be reading some text and realise there is a mistake. So I move the mouse pointer to the location of the problem and am thinking about the issue. Ready to select and overtype or whatever. Indeed, I often give my mouse no conscious thought - and it is often exactly where it needs to be.

And a lot of the time I know where things are - they don't just appear randomly.
It's an eye-opening experience for sure. I was just a young lad just ten short years ago with a PowerMac G5 trying to understand why navigating around a web browser when using OSX was like computing drunk, (which, like most intoxicated activities, is possible, but certainly not advisable, and always a danger to self and others) and then I did some research into the matter and found that Windows's acceleration curve is based on brain science and proven research. It's truly remarkable how something so seemingly small can make (or in this case, break completely shatter) the experience.

Reactions: Altis and Cape Dave

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Actually, I think that there might be drivers for opening at least some of those filesystems in Windows (even if read-only).

Of course there are 3rd party tools for opening those filesystems on Windows.
But there those also exist for MacOS. That's why that argument is kinda silly.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Which one is better for you and why?

Windows for me. This is probably due to a combination of growing up with Windows, certain applications that I use being Windows-only, and liking the model of Windows being licenced to many hardware vendors.

I did have a 3-4 year period where I used a MacBook as my main computer. Certain things I liked a lot compared to Windows (like Mac OS system preferences, and rock-solid reliability of system sleep on laptops) but I never really liked the dock, window management, or Finder in comparison to Windows equivalents. I also kept needing to run Windows in a virtual machine (mainly for work-related stuff), so when it was time to get a new computer I decided to just go back to Windows. I'm also not really a fan of Apple's vertical integration model. I prefer the hardware variety that results from independence of OS and hardware vendors.

Linux also facilitates variety, and I could probably get on ok with Linux if it wasn't for certain Windows-only applications that I use. I just can't be bothered with running them through VMs and essentially maintaining two separate OS's on a single machine.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Windows 10
everything works perfectly
the computing experience can be tailored to my needs
Music is better sounding and easier to maintain
files are easier to manage
more program can be deleted or added as needed
there are more variables that make the system open and free
there are no logins and enter 6 digit codes just to use a 2017 device or watch a movie
In the past, like last decade,
Apple was great for digital graphics, now there are programs that intertwine great with windows 10.
Mojave is incredible, but still has that unbreakable parameter and concrete apps that wont go away.

gave up on trying to install Unbuntu Design on the MacBook air but might try again later.
wow what a fool I used to be!
I would not recommend windows to anyone and gave up fixing and maintaining some of my neighbors windows computers, lucky someone else is a guru at windows.

im happy apple got everything straighten out with the M series processor and a stable and incredible system with airdrop, airplay and OS.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If it wasn't for my gaming hobby, I would be perfectly happy on macOS. And I still love it for my MacBook because of the extreme portability, something a windows laptop just can't match still. But for the desktop part of the experience, because for me it's mainly gaming, Macs can't touch that still. Maybe one day down the road

I personally dont have any issues with windows myself, my pc runs flawless, stupid fast, stable etc. But thats in desktop form, our razor laptop my wife uses just sounds like a jet plane idling all day lol

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I use both macOS and Windows 11. Ive used macOS as a daily driver for over 10 years, mostly on MBA as I value portability over outright power. It works well for my workflows. macOS has proven to be far more reliable for a laptop use that has frequent sleep/wake cycles. Recent experiences with windows have varied substantially between an intel laptop that was rock solid but really had a low resolution (1080p / 60% rgb colour range) screen and a Yoga laptop with amd cpu that has a great oled screen but frequently wakes slowly.
I dabbled with Linux on my Yoga but there were many issues with various hardware not working. The most important was the microphone was not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.