Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
No matter which wall outlet I tried, I couldn't get it to work.

I tried USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB-C at 5W, 18W, 45W and 140W, but it still didn't work. I tried with both the original cable and 3rd party cables, and it still didn't work. On my Hackintosh, charges immediately with a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 original or 3rd party cable. Again, it charges when I connect it to my MacBook with a USB-C cable. However, it never charges with a wall outlet.

Isn't it possible to charge Magic Mouse with a wall outlet?

telepati

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I have already read this article. That does not make sense. My computer is already on, otherwise there is no way to see the charge percentage or whether there is a connection. It doesn't matter what type of computer it is, it charges from all of them, including the PC. However, it does not charge when plugged into the wall outlet, which the article claims.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The article is saying’ ‘The device’ should be on. That’s the mouse that should be left switched on while charging.
Mine charges OK from an external USB-A source.
If your USB charger is a high power ( >18w) USB-C PD device then that is probably the problem as the mouse isn’t PD compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: telepati

telepati

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
The article is saying’ ‘The device’ should be on. That’s the mouse that should be left switched on while charging.
Mine charges OK from an external USB-A source.
If your USB charger is a high power ( >18w) USB-C PD device then that is probably the problem as the mouse isn’t PD compatible.
I know mouse should leave switched on while charging. You are lucky, then. I tried with 5w iPhone original, 45w PD, 140w MacBook Pro original, 18w Quick Charge USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB-C none of them worked. I also USB-A 2.1A cable, it does not work either. However, when you use any computer's USB-C or USB-A port as a power source, it charges immediately. It doesn't matter what the cable is.

But it's still good to know that it works for you. This shows that there is a problem with my connections.

boredtechdude

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2024
I had the same problem recently. The good news is that Magic Mouse and Keyboard WILL charge with with a USB or USB-C power adapter. However, when it's being charged using an external power adapter, the device status does not SHOW as being charged (i.e. the "lightning bolt" won't show next to the battery status of the device). It you leave it connected, after a while you will see that the device got charged. When you connect the device directly to the laptop, it shows as being charged. My best guess is a recent software update screwed up the battery charge status indicator when reported over Bluetooth vs being reported when connected directly. Annoying UI bug.

Reactions: telepati
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.