Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsara

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I’ve seen many MagSafe wallets out there but I’m finally considering one. Fine Woven is out of the running due to everything I’ve seen from them and the Leather is pretty scarce.

What other brands do you recommend? What do you use on your personal device?

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I have 3. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I think the first thing you have to do is decide how many cards you HAVE to be able to carry. This will really affect your choices. Anyway, here are my thoughts on the 3 I have.

Apple Wallet: Holds 3 cards MAX. Magnet is kinda weak (sometimes I worry it ill fall off, but it hasn't yet. It is slim and light. Cards can be hard to get out.

Distol Union Wally Junior: This is rated at 3 cards, but can fit 3 cards and slim ID card. It is a little thicker and heavier but still is not bulky. The magnets are pretty strong on this one. I don't worry about it falling off. Cards are pretty easy to get out.

Popsocket Wallet (or Wallet+): These are also rated at 3 cards, but fit up to 5 cards without a problem. This is the bulkiest of the 3, but isn't bad at all. The magnets on this are super strong. It's very secure. You can get these with or without the popsocket handle. I found the handle handy (pun intended) with the 14 Pro Max, but prefer the non-handle version on the 15 Pro. Cards are very easy to get out.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I ordered the Speck click lock case and wallet as I was looking for 1) being able to remove 2) confidence the wallet wouldn’t slip off and 3) clear case.

on my 13 pro max I used a smartish case which was fine.

Reactions: lsara

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I keep going back to the apple leather magsafe wallet due to its size. I hated all of the other ones I tried, way too thick.

Bought a new black leather apple magsafe wallet on eBay for $30 since my saddle brown one from 2020 was starting to look sad.

Reactions: lsara

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I’ve seen many MagSafe wallets out there but I’m finally considering one. Fine Woven is out of the running due to everything I’ve seen from them and the Leather is pretty scarce.

What other brands do you recommend? What do you use on your personal device?
Actually finewoven case and wallet of same material have great adherence and are cool looking and feel great

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
Had the Apple Leather Wallet. Excellent. The FW Apple Wallet is excellent, and IMHO, even better.

ATmahe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2023
I love my Peak Design wallet, it can hold so many cards.
There are 2 types, one with a stand and one without. I prefer the one without.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I use a spigen. it looks just like the apple wallet and can hold three cards with reluctance, two cards comfortably. The magnet is stronger than the apple wallet.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
I have a 1-2 year old midnight apple leather wallet which has held up very well. Like any leather, clean and condition with some specific leather products and it should last quite a while. Magnet strength I think has a lot to do with the phone case as well and texture of the back of the case. My 13 case (Spigen) was fairly strong, but the back was pretty smooth so you could shake the wallet off if you really tried. The same wallet on the 15 pm case (Smartish) is incredibly strong and tough to get off- in a good way. Maybe they also beefed up the magsafe ring on newer devices too.

I used the fine woven apple wallet but ultimately decided to return it. Really liked the taupe and the texture is very nice. I just did not want to be concerned about setting the phone down with the wallet on a table that may be wet or have anything on it. Really only ordered because I could not find a new leather apple wallet in any of the brown or dark cherry colors. Ultimately, I found a new umber leather on eBay so for now the fine woven will go back. Also for me, the fine woven was a loose fit with 2 cards (all I want to carry) but a snug fit on the leather.

The first question is do you want any find my support for the wallet. If the answer is yes, that really narrows down your search to the apple variety, or even the ESR geo which has full find my support. Those options are VERY different (ESR vs Apple). If you don't need or want find my support then there are a ton of options. For me, even the limited support on the apple wallet is a huge bonus (last location when detached).

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
Adore the moft wallet/stand combo. Been using for a year now and I cant imagine any other wallet. Use to use apple’s but I find the stand way too handy, plus it fits 3 cards a lot easier than the apple wallet

silvereddi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
Adore the moft wallet/stand combo. Been using for a year now and I cant imagine any other wallet. Use to use apple’s but I find the stand way too handy, plus it fits 3 cards a lot easier than the apple wallet
many report the magnet is super weak and falls off easily, is this true?

also how's the condition of the case after 1 year?

CaramelSky

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2022
many report the magnet is super weak and falls off easily, is this true?

also how's the condition of the case after 1 year?
I’ve never had it fall off. Honestly for me, the magnet has felt pretty similar to the apple one. Never had an issue.

Still holding up fine, a little dirty around the edges from presumably my black jeans rubbing off on it over time. Doesnt really bother me though - I also have a light purple coloured wallet.

Reactions: silvereddi

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
I finally got around to trying the Peak Design wallet (non-stand version) I had picked up a few weeks ago. I picked up the charcoal version as a change of pace to the 3 Apple Leather wallets I've gotten over the years.

There's a number of things I really like about this wallet (higher capacity, the pull tab that lifts the cards out), but man - the magnet on this guy is weak. I've tried several of my cases, and compared to the Apple magnets, the Peak Design grip is rather disappointing.

Judging from several of the Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one. The magnet part that runs north/south doesn't want to seem to grip, unless you really mess around with it, leaving the east/west magnet at the top trying to do all the work and usually failing.

Don't know if this one is going to back to Amazon....

Reactions: SweetLou122

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I finally got around to trying the Peak Design wallet (non-stand version) I had picked up a few weeks ago. I picked up the charcoal version as a change of pace to the 3 Apple Leather wallets I've gotten over the years.

There's a number of things I really like about this wallet (higher capacity, the pull tab that lifts the cards out), but man - the magnet on this guy is weak. I've tried several of my cases, and compared to the Apple magnets, the Peak Design grip is rather disappointing.

Judging from several of the Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one. The magnet part that runs north/south doesn't want to seem to grip, unless you really mess around with it, leaving the east/west magnet at the top trying to do all the work and usually failing.

Don't know if this one is going to back to Amazon....
Funny you say that about the pull tab I took one of the pull tabs from the box of my AirPod pros gonna see how long it lasts. Apple should design it with a pull tab. still using the original apple wallet from launch.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 111

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
Funny you say that about the pull tab I took one of the pull tabs from the box of my AirPod pros gonna see how long it lasts. Apple should design it with a pull tab. still using the original apple wallet from launch.
Yeah, the pull tab would certainly be a nice feature - I usually carry 3 cards in the Apple wallet and keep my debit card in back with the numbers facing outward, so I can use the raised numbers to get a grip on removing the back card.

I put in for a replacement/exchange with Amazon for the Peak Design wallet, in hopes that I just got a bad wallet and another one will have a better magnet, but there's enough bad reviews about the magnet I won't get my hopes up.

Last edited:

ATmahe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2023
My PD wallet seems fine.
Maybe not as strong as the Apple wallet, but not weak and strong enough to keep it straight and in place.

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
I finally got a replacement Peak Design from Amazon today*, and sadly it's pretty much the same strength magnet as the first. Not too surprised, but I was hoping it was just a bad unit.

Have a Distil Union Wally Jr. in gray coming from Amazon. See if that does better...

* - it was originally due on Sunday. I'm in Wisconsin - the original replacement made it from Texas to Chicago by early Sunday (good!), then mysteriously took a 1600 mile detour to Boise, Idaho (not good!!), never to be heard from again. They overnighted a replacement to me, this time via UPS.

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
Got my gray Distil Union Wally Junior wallet in today. MUCH better magnet in comparison to the Peak Design wallet.

Distil Union claims up to 4 cards, and that's true, but it's a rather tight fit at the moment. Peak Design has a bit more capacity, and its pull tab design seems to work a bit smoother, but its magnet is so weak.

Happy with the Distil Union in the early going.

Distil_WJG_01.jpg

Reactions: dmccombs

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
Moft jet black movas wallet/stand has arrived. Very happy with it. Not much thicker than the Apple one and that’s with two cards in and the magnets are strong, I don’t feel like it’s gonna budge at all.
The line up pic is the Moft, Apple and then esr geo wallet.
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0415.jpeg

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Reactions: Southernguy

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Now tried the Spine one and its much easier than the FW Apple one t=at removing cards due to the bottom gap to push them out unlike Apple one - Magnetic strengths equal to Apple one

Reactions: Southernguy

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I like the MOFT Wallet as a Stand, but not as a Wallet. The new Movas ones have great Magnets compared to the older ones.

I used to use my Apple Leather Wallet Gen2 for a while and it is ok. But 2 cards max. I trioed the blue Finewoven one. I hate it. The material is not my thing.

Since mid December I am using the Peak Design Wallet (not Wallet Stand) and I absolutely love it. I ditched my regular wallet as I only need 4 Cards. I can have 4-5 cards in it and also some Cash and it is still slim. Magnets are also great. I can really recommend this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.