Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brimohr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
I am running MacOS 12.1 and using iCloud+ custom domains. In the mail app, the From: address is set to my @iCloud.com address. When I click on the drop down, I have the iCloud and Hide My Email. If I go into Preferences > Accounts > and click on the drop down on Email Address > Edit email addresses, it loads iCloud.com in Safari. In iCloud.com, my custom domain is set as the primary send as. I can send email from iCloud.com, my iPhone and iPad and it uses my custom domain as the from, but on my Macs using the Mail app - I can't seem to set it to send as the custom domain. I attempted to work with Apple Support on this, but they could not seem to grasp the problem. This situation is not local to one machine and is replicated on a newly rebuilt MacBook Pro in addition to my MacMini. Does anyone have any ideas on what I am missing, or is this a limitation/bug with 12.1 and iCloud custom domains.

Thanks in advance.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Wild guess here (not using iCloud mail/custom domains): is there possibly a second SMTP server listed for iCloud+ under Account's Server Settings? If you click on it and Edit, does it present anything for iCloud?

brimohr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
No.. No SMTP servers listed and Outgoing Mail Account is set as 'iCloud'. The only account listed is 'iCloud - IMAP'. Thanks for the idea...

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
No.. No SMTP servers listed and Outgoing Mail Account is set as 'iCloud'. The only account listed is 'iCloud - IMAP'. Thanks for the idea...
That's the problem—Mail will use whichever SMTP server to send that you have selected. iCloud email does not allow for customizing the server settings, so it will always use the iCloud email as the "send" address. I believe you need to add another email domain account to the iCloud custom domain with an SMTP. I can't explain how to do that because I don't use iCloud custom domains.

Perhaps someone else can pop-in here and help you get you up and running.

Reactions: NoBoMac and brimohr

brimohr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
Thanks, that was it. What I had to do was edit the iCloud entry under 'Accounts', uncheck 'Mail' and then add another email server using the IMAP/SMTP settings here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304. My connection data used the iCloud.com credentials, but the SendAs address worked correctly.

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction MacGizmo!

Last edited:

casualhacker

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2022
Minnesota
Thanks, that was it. What I had to do was edit the iCloud entry under 'Accounts', uncheck 'Mail' and then add another email server using the IMAP/SMTP settings here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304. My connection data used the iCloud.com credentials, but the SendAs address worked correctly.

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction MacGizmo!
Could you explain further? I'm trying to set this up myself, but not able to. Did you create an entirely new email account on the Mac? if so, what credentials did you use on your custom domain?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.