Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Why does anyone want to run a screen saver? While it's running your computer is still sucking power at full force. No wonder California had an energy crisis besides the general poor management of it all there was all these people running there computer 24/7 oooing an aaaaing at there pretty screen saver.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by orangedv
...for $21.95, I expect more.

Granted, it's much cheaper than setting up your own saltwater reef aquarium, which would run about $30-$40 a gallon :D

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
MacBandit:

While it's running your computer is still sucking power at full force. No wonder California had an energy crisis...
:) Screensavers make me feel guilty cause they waste cycles that folding@home deserves.

evilpenguin21

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Well, I did the background trick and it was really neat... now I kinda want my old background back :). I killed the process and the background went to black. I can't make it put a picture up anymore. Anyone know how to fix this one?

User X

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Any one else notice a studder in the movement of the fish when running as a screensaver. I did not notice this on the demo. It takes away from the apeal of the program if it is not seemless. I am running it on a 867 with geforce 3. What gives? Is there a way to fix it?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I'm wanting to run a screensaver as my desktop. I know how to do this but it seems to eat up cpu cycles even when the desktop is hidden. How do I change the cpu priority to make it use as little processing time as possible when in the background/hidden?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by MacBandit
I'm wanting to run a screensaver as my desktop. I know how to do this but it seems to eat up cpu cycles even when the desktop is hidden. How do I change the cpu priority to make it use as little processing time as possible when in the background/hidden?
Entering this into the terminal will make your selected screensaver run as your background:
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &
If you get Visage I seem to remember you can also activate it and deactivate it via a nice system prefs GUI.
Enjoy! :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by edesignuk

Entering this into the terminal will make your selected screensaver run as your background:
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &
If you get Visage I seem to remember you can also activate it and deactivate it via a nice system prefs GUI.
Enjoy! :)

Thanks though as I stated I already know how to make a screensaver the desktop. What I'm looking for is to change it's priority on the cpu so that when you are running a program that totally hides the desktop it will use as little cpu time as possible. Why have it eat up cpu cycles when you can't even see it?

[edit] I see that Visage offers the ability to change the cpu priority. I am really just wanting to know how to do this in the terminal. I don't like 3rd party system modifiers they have a tendency to make the system unstable. [/edit]

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by MacBandit

Thanks though as I stated I already know how to make a screensaver the desktop. What I'm looking for is to change it's priority on the cpu so that when you are running a program that totally hides the desktop it will use as little cpu time as possible. Why have it eat up cpu cycles when you can't even see it?
Oooooops! Sorry, I miss read your post :rolleyes:
Anywho, I think if you use Visage as I suggested you can change CPU priority with a simple drop down menu in the same place as you activate/deactivate the screensaver background.

[edit]hehehe, I see you just edited your last post, which kinda make this one pointess....oh well :)[/edit]

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
I think that if you add "nice +20" to the front of that command it will share CPU cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.