Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Can’t seem to find a straight answer. I know it comes with a 20W brick, what’s the max wattage it can take advantage of? Does the cable matter? Thanks!

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Minimum 37.5W. That's what I measured on my 2021. That is 15V at 2.5A. Sometimes only 2.4A. I have the feeling that this 2.4A has been a thing since the iPad 2 days. So the 35W dual adapter would be quite useful. The 70W is a bit bulky.
The Magic Keyboard can only handle 9V in my experience. Also with this 2.4-2.5A. That's quite a difference.
Be careful. The very old 87W (and the 61W) cannot handle 9V.
Any USB-C cable should be able to handle 60W (20V at 3A).
So use the 35W dual adapter. You can charge the occasional AirPods if you are not in a hurry.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Minimum 37.5W. That's what I measured on my 2021. That is 15V at 2.5A. Sometimes only 2.4A. I have the feeling that this 2.4A has been a thing since the iPad 2 days. So the 35W dual adapter would be quite useful. The 70W is a bit bulky.
The Magic Keyboard can only handle 9V in my experience. Also with this 2.4-2.5A. That's quite a difference.
Be careful. The very old 87W (and the 61W) cannot handle 9V.
Any USB-C cable should be able to handle 60W (20V at 3A).
So use the 35W dual adapter. You can charge the occasional AirPods if you are not in a hurry.
Thanks! I’ll pick up a 35W.

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
I must correct myself. The 61W has 9V but not 15V. So it would be good for the Magic Keyboard, but not good enough for the iPad Pro. It was the 29W adapter that came with the MacBook in 2015, which has no 9V but this strange 14.5V, but that would work with an iPad Pro. You see, older power adapters are not quite universal but can work too. I only mention them in case you have one lying around. So the newer 35W dual adapter is a good extra investment.

Last edited:

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I must correct myself. The 61W has 9V but not 15V. So it would be good for the Magic Keyboard, but not good enough for the iPad Pro. It was the 29W adapter that came with the MacBook in 2015, which has no 9V but this strange 14.5V, but that would work with an iPad Pro. You see, older power adapters are not quite universal but can work to. I only mention them in case you have one lying around. So the newer 35W dual adapter is a good extra investment.
I don’t think I have any older ones around. Would this one be good?

USB Wall Charger Block,Aioneus 40W 4-Port Charging Block,QC 3.0 Fast USB Wall Plug for iPhone 15/14 Max/XR/X/8/7/6,Tablets,Charging Cube with Galaxy/Note/Edge,LG,Nexus,HTC,Google Pixel,and More https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Aioneus-4-Port-Charging-Tablets/dp/B094J31JF6

I have two usba cords I use, I’m looking for something to go by my bed for my iPad and my youngest’s iPad, since she often falls asleep with it and I don’t want to get out of bed to go plug it in haha

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

USB Wall Charger Block,Aioneus 40W 4-Port Charging Block,QC 3.0 Fast USB Wall Plug for iPhone 15/14 Max/XR/X/8/7/6,Tablets,Charging Cube with Galaxy/Note/Edge,LG,Nexus,HTC,Google Pixel,and More https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Aioneus-4-Port-Charging-Tablets/dp/B094J31JF6

I have two usba cords I use, I’m looking for something to go by my bed for my iPad and my youngest’s iPad, since she often falls asleep with it and I don’t want to get out of bed to go plug it in haha

Two quick points:

Last edited:

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland

I‘m afraid not. This charger only has USB-A ports. During the USB 1.0 era, the USB-A port provided 5V and 0.1A, resulting in 0.5W - sufficient only for mice. However, with USB 3.0/3.1, the port can provide up to 0.9A with 5V. I am not sure why everybody was calling that 5W, when it was 4.5W only. But anyway they introduced USB-BC which can go till 7.5W. And then with USB 3.2 till 15W. But only with more sofisticated cables. Active ones.

But if you are searching for a better alternative to the with the iPad Pro provided adapter, USB-PD (Power Delivery) is the only suitable option. And to utilize it, you need USB-C. However, please note that USB-C alone can only deliver power up to 7.5W, or optionally 15W. Hence, it must be USB-PD. And all Apple Adatper are USB-PD.

I am afraid, USB-PD has also diffent Version. With the newest 3.1 it is going till 240W. Which I think it is quit extrem for such thin cables.

As i was saying. The 29W, 30W, and now the 35W chargers from Apple are slightly bulkier than the 18/20W ones, but provide a useful addition.

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Two quick points:
Yes, this is the ultimate source of information for us more mortals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.