Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blazewon22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
So I got an XBox 360 and now want to take advantage of the media capabilities. I was thinking about replacing my hi-def DirecTivo with a Media Center PC but would love to have something from the Mac side.

Anyone have any opinions on Elgato's solutions versus the Media Center PC?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
What kind of computer do you already have? If you already have a Mac, but might find the PC useful once and a while for software that doesn't have a comparable Mac version, I would suggest the media center PC. If you don't have a Mac, go for the Mini, since you can use it as a regular every day use computer too.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
blazewon22 said:
So I got an XBox 360 and now want to take advantage of the media capabilities. I was thinking about replacing my hi-def DirecTivo with a Media Center PC but would love to have something from the Mac side.

Anyone have any opinions on Elgato's solutions versus the Media Center PC?

Though Elgato is quite good, its not as "all-encompasiing" as a fully integrated solution like Windows Media Centre.

I know thats blasphemy on an Apple board, but it is true. When will Jobs come out with full media centre capabilities? We want PVR integrated in FrontRow!

blazewon22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
ITASOR said:
What kind of computer do you already have? If you already have a Mac, but might find the PC useful once and a while for software that doesn't have a comparable Mac version, I would suggest the media center PC. If you don't have a Mac, go for the Mini, since you can use it as a regular every day use computer too.

I currently have a Powermac G5 an 13 month old Powerbook G4 and an iBook G3. I also have an P4 2.0 Dell.

Maybe I will just go with the media center PC while I wait for the new Powermacs and MacBook Pros with DL capabilites.

blazewon22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Onizuka said:
Use MythTV. Search for it on here, there's a few discussions about it.

Myth looks pretty sweet! I probably will just get the Media Center PC as I have no clue on how to use Linux. My wife isn't the patient type either if the TV goes out. Also this doesn't seem to link up with my Xbox. The MCPC will only be about $500 and I can get at least $250 for my old Dell.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.