Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taranbeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
India
I have a been using my M1 Macbook Air (8GPU) for past 6 months now and even with all the updates these scrolling stutters and lags haven't seem to be gone at all. Safari is bearable but Chrome is worse, the only browser i find with least problem is Firefox. Even the apps like AppStore and Apple Music scrolling is bad as well it stutters more than usual and they are very random.
These stutters don't just happen when you are scrolling, if you gonna change the windows it will stutter again.
I don't really know if this is my Mac's problem or MacOS Monterey is being this buggy.
Is anyone else is facing this?
Firefox
Chrome
Safari

Reactions: severi

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Hard to tell from the videos but I have both Chrome/Safari installed on a couple of M1 machines and yeah there’s stuttering from time to time. Not sure how many extensions you have but you could see if that’s causing issues especially if you have a lot of ad blocker style settings turned on as it’s trying to remove those while loading content as well.

Also, I think Firefox has a smooth scrolling option enabled by default which the other two don’t so double check that as it might be giving you that smooth scrolling.

Reactions: taranbeer

taranbeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
India
Hard to tell from the videos but I have both Chrome/Safari installed on a couple of M1 machines and yeah there’s stuttering from time to time. Not sure how many extensions you have but you could see if that’s causing issues especially if you have a lot of ad blocker style settings turned on as it’s trying to remove those while loading content as well.

Also, I think Firefox has a smooth scrolling option enabled by default which the other two don’t so double check that as it might be giving you that smooth scrolling.
I tried without any extensions on chrome and fresh install of Chrome as well and it behaves the same whereas the safari doesn't even have any extensions added and it still stutters. For smooth scrolling safari and chrome doesn't even have that option anywhere in the settings.

I am adding two more videos and see the stutter and lags and jumps when using Appstore and Music. I have been using mac since 2011, it use to be smooth as butter.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I've noticed this lately. Using 120hz screen on MacBook Pro and it seems to be stuttering since the last update.

taranbeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
India
I've noticed this lately. Using 120hz screen on MacBook Pro and it seems to be stuttering since the last update.
It has been happening to me since the day one MacOS 12 and I actually went to Apple Store to check if the demo macbook air does that and sure it did a lil but i thought it might be cuz it's a new ARM platform so updates will make them go away but 6 months have passed and stuttering and lags haven't changed a bit.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Same thing here. Stutters like crazy on Safari.
And if I use group tabs, many times while surfing I would be taken back a page without me doing anything.

Lots of small and annoying bugs.

taranbeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
India
Same thing here. Stutters like crazy on Safari.
And if I use group tabs, many times while surfing I would be taken back a page without me doing anything.

Lots of small and annoying bugs.
I just went to Apple Service Center two days back and tried the Macbook Air M1 and even the Macbook Pro M1 Pro, they also stutter when scrolling. It is so annoying at times, even being such a powerful Mac they still stutter and there is no fix from Apple side. MacOS is becoming a hurdle at this point. My 2011 Macbook Pro 15 scrolls like butter and even after being a 10+ year old laptop.

Reactions: severi

Walsall _Dima

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
I have a been using my M1 Macbook Air (8GPU) for past 6 months now and even with all the updates these scrolling stutters and lags haven't seem to be gone at all. Safari is bearable but Chrome is worse, the only browser i find with least problem is Firefox. Even the apps like AppStore and Apple Music scrolling is bad as well it stutters more than usual and they are very random.
These stutters don't just happen when you are scrolling, if you gonna change the windows it will stutter again.
I don't really know if this is my Mac's problem or MacOS Monterey is being this buggy.
Is anyone else is facing this?
Firefox
Chrome
Safari
This happens on trackpad or mouse?

Last edited:

jeroenvip

macrumors regular
May 13, 2017
This stutter is also occuring here in chrome. Macbook pro m1, is feels like sometimes the 2 fiinger gesture for scrolling up or down is not registered. This happens with the trackpad.

Walsall _Dima

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
Same story, but on Macbook Air 2018 (Mojave). Previously i think, that the problem was weak performance of 2 core Intel chip, but here is the same situation with Apple Silicon...

nmt1900

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
There's actually impossible to find a appropriate place to start the "rant" on performance issues as they're not limited on these kind of things.

I know that I have relatively old machine (2015 vintage Macbook Pro 12,1) and while bringing up Mission Control or automatic Light/Dark theme change is going on, then even audio is stuttering. For some time I thought that old hardware might be behind that but for a quite some time now I am not any more.

P. S. Have anyone noticed how System Preferences is lagging - the text "Loading <preference pane name here>" appears for more than a few seconds before anything really happens? This is also nave been observed on all Macs I have been able to deal with lately (including new ones). It is really hard to tell from aside but what this is far from the pleasant as far as user experience goes - and it is hard to tell if future would be bringing any good news to us at all...

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
@nmt1900 For what it's worth, I have never seen what you're describing in System Preferences on any of my many Macs, both old and new. So, they can work properly. Is there something in common on all of the systems that you use? A particular piece of software or a utility that could be affecting them?

Jan Willem

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2022
Found a fix that worked. Change your DNS-addresses on your M1 Mac to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) and the stutter in MacOS is gone. I'll found it so annoying I stopped using my Mac. Now it works great again.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Following this thread because I think I've got a "micro-stutter" issue now with my 16" 2019 2.3Ghz i9 MacBook Pro. Just sent it to AppleCare for repair because I felt I was dealing with a stuttering problem on the keyboard - specifically with spacing. I had sent them a note that I wasn't sure if it was hardware related or something in my software which was causing a lag.

They replaced the Topcase and battery. Now it's back and it does seem the keyboard problem is resolved, but there's this new stuttering problem. It was really noticeable when I was just watching a show off of Amazon Prime.

I did do a clean OS install once I had it back so I'm not sure if I would have encountered the stuttering when the old OS/old data/old configs were on. It seems unrelated to what I Was dealing with

So far I've played with iCloud settings after coming across things on the web. Specifically turning off the iCloud Photos sync. I remember reminders sync giving issues in the past so I've turned that off as well. OS is still pretty clean for now.

I also turned off wallpaper tinting which I saw advised here.

I'm curious about trying to disable " awdl0 " (something I Saw here: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/issues/753 ).

Last edited:

RedNova6289

Suspended
Aug 6, 2022
Same thing here on MBA M1 8/7/8 - Ventura 13.5
Chrome is the worst.

I got my hopes up by changing the DNS, but that didn't solve anything :(
The problem is present with Magic Trackpad AND Magic Mouse.

Diwas

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2023
Yup, this is a serious issue. Is this only related to M1? I have MBA M1 8/256. I would be happy if this was not happening at least with native apps like safari, apple music, (the most laggy is the Font Book app). Is this a hardware issue or what? If this is a software issue, why isn't Apple fixing it? Now we have Sonoma and this issue is still not fixed. Apple are providing bad user experience for sure.

DavidSan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
My two cents on this discussion, since this is something that I have experienced. The only thing, I have found to work is this:

- Turn off iCloud Private relay permanently.
- Delete Safari caches with Onyx.
- Reboot.

After that, I have the performance it is supposed to be in Safari. Still, I have not been able to fix the scrolling in Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.