Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Woohoo. My prayers have been answered. The Thrustmaster Airbus TCA has officially been licensed for Xbox! Look forward to buying it in 3-8 weeks when availability improves and 1 or 2 Black Friday offers crop up.

TCA-Captain-Pack-X-Airbus-Edition.jpg
I need this! Best Buy has T-Flight Hotas One on sale for $65 today, no local stores have it, eh. (I had Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick...which said on the website "works with Series X" - No, it doesn't, I returned it.

I've been ok with XBox controller and keyboard for the A320 Airbus, having problems with new A310 though on my end...erratic controls and throttle...have to check my config.

But this joystick should work MUCH better with the choppers. I'm better at flying...somewhat but one slight wrong move on the controller I'm spining out of control.

*Another sale, this is on the Marketplace - is the FlyTampa Las Vegas add on. $14.49 I believe, I added it Fri. night (airport was fixed with no CTDs on XBox on my end), it's just beautiful.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I need this! Best Buy has T-Flight Hotas One on sale for $65 today, no local stores have it, eh. (I had Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick...which said on the website "works with Series X" - No, it doesn't, I returned it.

I've been ok with XBox controller and keyboard for the A320 Airbus, having problems with new A310 though on my end...erratic controls and throttle...have to check my config.

But this joystick should work MUCH better with the choppers. I'm better at flying...somewhat but one slight wrong move on the controller I'm spining out of control.

*Another sale, this is on the Marketplace - is the FlyTampa Las Vegas add on. $14.49 I believe, I added it Fri. night (airport was fixed with no CTDs on XBox on my end), it's just beautiful.

You absolutely need it. My flying has been elevated to a whole new level. The speed brake, throttle and trim are super responsive. Even moving them 1mm will register a change. This enable me to modulate decent angle and speed with impeccable precision.

For some airliners I toggle between all three levers, something that you can’t do with a controller without making a mistake or panicking as you switch between inside and outside view during approach.

Flying always feels more therapeutic and less strained as my thumbs and fingers are fully relaxed.

I considered the Hotas One but was out off by reviews mentioning that the throttle feels floppy after a few months and that the overall quality is leaves a lot to be desired.

• Love
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
You absolutely need it. My flying has been elevated to a whole new level. The speed brake, throttle and trim are super responsive. Even moving them 1mm will register a change. This enable me to modulate decent angle and speed with impeccable precision.

For some airliners I toggle between all three levers, something that you can’t do with a controller without making a mistake or panicking as you switch between inside and outside view during approach.

Flying always feels more therapeutic and less strained as my thumbs and fingers are fully relaxed.

I considered the Hotas One but was out off by reviews mentioning that the throttle feels floppy after a few months and that the overall quality is leaves a lot to be desired.
I finally stepped up my control game, did grab the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One. If I redo my one room, I'll have more space for more advanced controller(s) Right now with my set up, space is limited and awkward in my office with Joystick, gamepad, mouse and keyboard..so I gave this shot and see how this holds up in time. Best Buy, no idea what they did yesterday...but it worked to my benefit. Price when scanned came to $61.99, not the $89.99 advertised. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, wow what a massive difference...slight learning curve with all the buttons still..I should map out / assign certain buttons when I have more time. I'll get it down with more flying time. But flying is FAR more precise, throttle especially easier. I was having BIG problems with the A310 on the standard game pad, now I can actually fly and control this thing!

Right now my only gripe is the weak tab connection of the joystick and throttle controls...they simply won't connect together tight & come apart easily with this terrible little plastic "connector". Not a dealbreaker, I have them separated.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I finally stepped up my control game, did grab the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One. If I redo my one room, I'll have more space for more advanced controller(s) Right now with my set up, space is limited and awkward in my office with Joystick, gamepad, mouse and keyboard..so I gave this shot and see how this holds up in time. Best Buy, no idea what they did yesterday...but it worked to my benefit. Price when scanned came to $61.99, not the $89.99 advertised. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, wow what a massive difference...slight learning curve with all the buttons still..I should map out / assign certain buttons when I have more time. I'll get it down with more flying time. But flying is FAR more precise, throttle especially easier. I was having BIG problems with the A310 on the standard game pad, now I can actually fly and control this thing!

Right now my only gripe is the weak tab connection of the joystick and throttle controls...they simply won't connect together tight & come apart easily with this terrible little plastic "connector". Not a dealbreaker, I have them separated.
Congrats! When landing airliners, early planning and precise controls make a huge difference. Sometimes I don’t even touch the thrustlevers but toggle the flaps and speed brake to fine tuning decedent angle or speed.

I use my Thrustmaster TcA while sitting on the ground resting my back against the couch. Joystick sits on top of a book to my left and the thrust quadrants and mouse on the chaise part of the couch to my left. It works brilliant as I sit 2.5meters from an LG C1 55 oled screen.

• Love

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I did not expect a flight sim announcement. Career mode missions will be heart warming. A great way for people to put their flight skills to usage rather than flying A to B.

It would have been nice if it was an extension to SM 2021 but that would have bloated the same unnecessarily.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
This teaser trailer (MSFS 2024) came out of nowhere earlier today! 😮

There are LOTS of unanswered questions about this product. Microsoft/Asobo issued a quick statement that they plan to support MSFS 2020 for the foreseeable future. So that begs the questions, will MSFS 2024 include all the content from MSFS 2020? If so, they could have made MSFS 2024 an expansion to MSFS 2020.

If the base code for the game has been reworked for better game performance with higher fidelity that was not possible with MSFS 2020, then this makes sense. What I am seeing because of Microsoft's/Asobo lack of product information is Microsoft Flight 2.0 which did not do to well when it was released after MSFS X in 2012.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
This teaser trailer (MSFS 2024) came out of nowhere earlier today! 😮

Commercial flight jobs are a very welcome edition, and I got helicopters and hot air balloons back!

I wonder, can we do the commercial flight jobs in multiplayer sessions? If so...hooo boy AirForceProud95 is gonna have golden content opportunities.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
There are LOTS of unanswered questions about this product. Microsoft/Asobo issued a quick statement that they plan to support MSFS 2020 for the foreseeable future. So that begs the questions, will MSFS 2024 include all the content from MSFS 2020? If so, they could have made MSFS 2024 an expansion to MSFS 2020.

If the base code for the game has been reworked for better game performance with higher fidelity that was not possible with MSFS 2020, then this makes sense. What I am seeing because of Microsoft's/Asobo lack of product information is Microsoft Flight 2.0 which did not do to well when it was released after MSFS X in 2012.

I never even thought about this… I saw Flight Simulator 2024 and assumed it WAS an expansion to 2020. They consider them as two separate products?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yeah 2024 looks to be a separate SKU from 2020. They claim there were enough changes to the game to warrant it.
The code base for FS2020 was likely locked in 2018-2019 when the development of Series S/X wasn’t even complete.

Although FS2020 is insanely good, there are areas of improvements for rendering buildings. There is no rewind feature and it’s not possible to save mid-flight. Looking at the recent ChatGPT and Office related announcements by MS, I expect FS2024 to be a big step forward From FS2020.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
And I did find where someone had already tried to get 2020 to work via the Game Porting Tool and it failed, so no easy route that way.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
So apparently, MSFS 2024 is getting a major performance overhaul, something that MS/Osobo did not want to tackle with MSFS 2020.

Per the MSFS 2024 page:

Took some notes from the FlightSimExpo announcement about MSFS 2024:

MSFS 2024 feature/improvement summary - Microsoft Flight Simulator / MSFS 2024 - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Biggest sim ever made, 500 people working on it. 2020 reached the limit technology wise, hence the new edition. Three focus areas were mentioned:

Focus 1: Aviation Activity System

• As seen in the 2024 announcement trailer, accurate sim/aviation representation, working with organizations/experts in these areas
Focus 2: Core Sim & Technology

• Thin client, less to download, faster loading times, helps keep min specs low
  • New physics and aerodynamics engine
  • Massive performance improvements, multi-threaded
  • More control for aircraft creators
  • Backwards-compatible (community folder still there)
  • Updated systems (electrical, pneumatic, fuel and hydraulic)
  • Failure, wear and tear system
  • Payload and passenger system overhaul
  • Deeper and wider avionics packages
Focus 3: Digital Twin

• Terrain PG 15 cm (like Grand Canyon in the 2024 trailer), 50 cm “2D to 3D” where you there is no PG, using sat data (like Kilimanjaro in the 2024 trailer)
  • Enhanced tree diversity
  • Improved cliffs
  • 3D tessellated ground materials
  • Improved ground details
  • Full seasons
  • Aurora borealis, tornados improved storms
  • Animals herds and migration
  • World live ship traffic
  • Accurate live traffic + more real liveries
  • Improved vehicle traffic
Was more to it…but wow! Blown-away with all this, huge improvements, hype is real!

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Any idea what this could mean in practical terms:
  • Deeper and wider avionics packages

I am surprised that improved air traffic control isn’t listed. Their recommendations are sometimes shocking bad.

Faster loading times will be great and make it easier to jump in and out of flights. I wish MS would allow us to add presets or favourite routes/flight paths. It would make it easier to and quicker to jump into flight paths that we love or want to get better at.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
  • "Thin client, less to download, faster loading times, helps keep min specs low"
It sounds like it's going to be more Xbox friendly. I don't own a PC and I have been a XPlane fan since V6. This may be a reason to get a Xbox.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I don't have an issue with this being a whole new Sim - purchase. No question I'll be buying this. I probably will have to get a expansion SSD for the Series X to fit the new Sim on the console.

Installed the Texas Update earlier, looks good. I can't understand Dallas though - why this appears the way it does, it's still this bland generic city. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The MSFS Instagram hinted fireworks on the 4th, did they do this in previous years? I'll check that out!
"Users may also notice something exciting across major US cities next week on July 4th... 🎆"

Also, it's doing a decent job mimicking the annoying Canadian wildfire smoke in Live Weather. It's acting similar to a low layer of fog..but a decent job.

Philly last night before sunset.
KlJVH1x.png

cDlFZKE.png

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
You can access the fireworks now.
Make sure the MSFS is updated and you downloaded the Texas Update
Change date to July 4 & time to 10:00pm
You'll be able to see them from major cities.
*Fireworks end at 10:10pm, you can always change the time back to 10pm again.

Reactions: diamond.g
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.