Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I've been hearing that there's some kind of issue with purchased tones in this version. May need to wait for an update.

Reactions: whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Must be something. I know the default tone for most apps is so quiet it’s unbelievable. And changing it back to tritone is not possible. What another apple clown show.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Apple want you all to go buy an Apple Watch so you don't miss those notifications because the phones tone volume is slow low. 👌

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
All the custom tones I’ve always been able to assign are now showing up only as ringtones. Really hoping this is just a bug.
Ditto this.

I have zero purchased, just customs I've made, and I'm seeing the same. On upside, seems like still using the tones I assigned pre-17. So as long as have no need/desire to change a tone anytime soon...

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Ditto this.

I have zero purchased, just customs I've made, and I'm seeing the same. On upside, seems like still using the tones I assigned pre-17. So as long as have no need/desire to change a tone anytime soon...
All my added tones were pre-17 and ones set to certain apps for notification show it don’t play. If you open to the list it has a check next to None.

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
Can I ask you guys with 17 a question, because I've been reading mixed messages and am not sure which is happening...

Does this mean:

Text Tone in Sounds & Haptics no longer lists the custom tones to change the default one, or
Text Tone for a person in Contacts doesn't list the custom tones to override the default,
or both?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Can I ask you guys with 17 a question, because I've been reading mixed messages and am not sure which is happening...

Does this mean:

Text Tone in Sounds & Haptics no longer lists the custom tones to change the default one, or
Text Tone for a person in Contacts doesn't list the custom tones to override the default,
or both?
Both. Any custom tone only shows under ringtones. We’re hoping Apple fixes this soon.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Makes you wonder why many of the reported bugs haven't been discovered during the Beta period. I guess many of the people downloading Beta software are just using it as is with little interest in testing out stuff and reporting such issues.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Makes you wonder why many of the reported bugs haven't been discovered during the Beta period. I guess many of the people downloading Beta software are just using it as is with little interest in testing out stuff and reporting such issues.
Yeah you would think. But I think this bug(?) was not in the release candidate from a week ago. Let’s hope users leave feedback at Apple and they fix it.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
But I think this bug(?) was not in the release candidate from a week ago
Yes it was. See the link I provided earlier. That member is talking about it on Sep 14. Post 1 in the thread states RC.

iOS 17 RC

Developer Release Date
― September 12, 2023
Public Release Date ― September 18, 2023
Build Numbers ― 21A329
Darwin Kernel Version ― 23.0.0: Thu Aug 24 20:19:01 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.2.11~1

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The new ringtones were a surprise last minute change in the RC last Tuesday. Not much chance to report or fix anything in time.

Reactions: NoBoMac

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
The new ringtones were a surprise last minute change in the RC last Tuesday. Not much chance to report or fix anything in time.
Well let’s hope the 17.0.1 fixes it. Like many others, I have certain contacts configured with specific tones I’ve downloaded.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
All the custom tones I’ve always been able to assign are now showing up only as ringtones. Really hoping this is just a bug.
same here in IOS 16 I used to be able to set two kind of ring tones one for calling and the other for text now with IOS 17 I can no longer used the main ring tons and one used the text ring tone do not like that change I hop its a bug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.