Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
I’m having a small issue with Family Sharing in my iMac’s Photos app, and hope someone can help me get it sorted. The problem is that, in my user account, Family Sharing shows only the photos that have been shared since getting the Mac a few months ago. However, in my wife’s account everything (many years’ worth of shared photos) shows as expected.

I set up my new iMac account first, and my wife’s second. She, however, originally created Family Sharing on her iPhone, so she “owns” it. All photos show up fine on both iPhones (hers and mine). My phone has been backing up to iCloud normally as far as I can tell, most recently last night. I’ve restarted the Photos app, my phone and the Mac, but nothing seems to trigger a download of the missing pics.

I don’t know if it’s some kind of permissions issue, but everything in Photos seems to work aside from this. Any suggestions on what to do?

UPDATE: I think it's resolved. I turned off Shared Albums in the iCloud tab of Photos Settings (my few shared pics disappeared immediately), waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. The photos started to download, Photos crashed, but when I re-opened it all the pics were/are present. Now to see if the fix sticks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.