Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
eDonkey2000 is a P2P (peer to peer) network similar to Kazaa/Morpheus/Fasttrack. It provides a network that allows users to trade files of any type.

1st generation filesharing clients (such as Napster) allowed a simple 1 to 1 connection between clients. You downloaded from one other user until the file was complete. With the advent of Kazaa as well as eDonkey, files can be downloaded simultaeously from multiple sources.

This allows faster transfers and more available files. If you get disconnected from one source, you can always pick up from another.

A special advantage of eDonkey2000, however, is that you start sharing a file as soon as you start receiving it. So, if you are 200megs into a 400meg file, the 1st 200megs is available to other users to begin their downloads. eDonkey2000 sorts out the details and reconstructs the file in the end.

eDonkey2000 developed a Mac OS X client for this network - but unfortunately, has some significant limitations. MLDonkey is an opensource client for the same network, which works pretty well. It must be run as a commandline client... but has Web and Cocoa front ends available.

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/mldonkey/
http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/mldonkey/

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
This is similar to how Limewire works. It allows u to download from multiple sources, so if one flakes, another picks up the slack.

I'm not sure if I'm crazy about people being able to download my unfinished/still downloading files, but I guess all's fair right?

I'll be checking it out later on when I'm on my TiBook for sure... ;)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Now, if I get this right.....say I am downloading something from one person and they get offline...Can I then finish the DL from someone else who has the same file?

If so thats pretty sweet!:D

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Unfortunately both limewire and edonkey are blocked (i assume) the firewall here at the university. It's a shame, because edonkey sounds like the ideal P2P program: low resource requirements, downloads from multiple sources, runs in the background.... nice idea. I just wish i could use it :(

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i think i tried mldonkey a while back when someone (maybe arn, maybe lemon) first mentioned it... and there wasn't a very clear gui to go with it? am i mistaken? has one been added?

i'm too dumb to use command lines to run things..... ha

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i think i tried mldonkey a while back when someone (maybe arn, maybe lemon) first mentioned it... and there wasn't a very clear gui to go with it? am i mistaken? has one been added?

i'm too dumb to use command lines to run things..... ha

you have to launch it via CLI...

but once you do you can go to your webbrowser and type in "127.0.0.1:4080" - and it will connect to your own machine. You can use that as the interface.

Alternatively, there is a Cocoa front end as well on the site.

arn

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
its a very interesting program, but as many others, i have found it frustrating connecting to servers, etc. and finding the file you want.

i guess its too bad the idea of a central server is out of the question -- i mean, back in the days of napster it was just so freakin easy to get just what you wanted, while these newer programs make it nearly impossible to find what you want sometimes, or at least in less than a few minutes..

i read an article a while ago about these guys starting a hugee.. and i mean HUGE... server farm out in the ocean somewhere on an old military flat type thing.. anyways, they said they would be able to do well because they could support companies that werent neccessarily legal to have operating in certain countries, but can be legally accessed (sort of)..

i wish that someone would run napsta again like that -- in a different country or whatever.. haha.. i guess i kinda got off topic.. but oh well :p

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
I work in an internetcafe and my experience with edonkey on the pc was very good in the beginning. Nowadays it isn't so fast anymore but let's hope hldonkey is better.
Kazaa is still the best INHO with music and pcsoftware and limewire for macsoftware.
Suggestions are welcome ;)

velociraptor

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
Silicon Valley
elDonkey GUI--use XDarwin

I've been using elDonkey for several days straight now. The throughput tends to be low, but there is a *awful* lot of movies, mp3s, and software out there.

I'd advise using XDarwin and the X Windows client--it's actually pretty close to the PC client in functionality, and makes querying easy.

I tried the cocoa client and couldn't get it to do anything useful, so I ditched it.

elDonkey seems pretty stable--I've been running the daemon (the background process) for ~4 days, and it has died only once. I was able to restart it and the frontend client, and continue all the partial downloads. Limewire is *supposed* to do this, but I've never seen it work.

I still use Limewire, as there are more Mac files out there, and the throughput is better. elDonkey just does some things better than Limewire.

=Velociraptor=

Atradies

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2002
San Francisco
understandable instructions??

Just downloaded mlDonkey and gave up on it faster than any other program. Looked at the readme and realized that I know nothing about the command line. I use it every once in a while, but have to relearn it everytime I use it, since it is so seldom. So if someone could tell me the actual steps of getting mlDonkey to work that would be awesome. Like where should the download actually be placed in my computer, etc. Thanks.

Kurt

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by arn

you have to launch it via CLI...

but once you do you can go to your webbrowser and type in "127.0.0.1:4080" - and it will connect to your own machine. You can use that as the interface.

Alternatively, there is a Cocoa front end as well on the site.

arn

Couldn't that be an applescript program/icon to bypass the need for someone to even do a gui, and focus on features and bugs on the main program???

Rocketman

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: understandable instructions??

Originally posted by Atradies
Just downloaded mlDonkey and gave up on it faster than any other program. Looked at the readme and realized that I know nothing about the command line. I use it every once in a while, but have to relearn it everytime I use it, since it is so seldom.

Kurt

In the olden days I used CL on CP/M and later DOS 1-5. I have heard Unix command line codes are similar with some syntax differences. It seems us Mac people are going to have to learn SOME CL to really use the power of the computer. Might as well have some sort of app or file that teaches it in a truly Mac way. THAT is what one of you programmers should do. Optimally it would also show what truly useful things can best be done by CL.

I have been 100% Mac and GUI all the way since I ditched my PC-AT-10 clone and got a Mac+ but I will say one thing for CL. I did get more detailed things done quicker with CL. I do more things better on the Mac of course but some tasks are CL friendly.

Rocketman

"Ducks and heads for cover"

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
So arn, have you run out of things to post here already? If anything would get posted I could submit a few OS X programs to you with brief descriptions. Macapps just has so much potential and I want to see it do well :)

noht*

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
* hidden between worlds
as raiderx said, don't use the find function integrated into the donkey...chances are that you'll find nothing or a file that's only online every other week.
go to a good donkey index site (sharereactor.com is not bad, eselfilme.de and eselpsychos.de are my faves as i'm in europe), get the hash (ie ed2k link) and watch scraming fast downloads...
and to clarify that matter: the system is far superior to limewire/gnutella. you're able to download diffrerent chunks of a file from multiple hosts simultaneously and you're still guaranteed to get a working file.
it's not the best for rare music, though. does anyone else here find that audiogalaxy was the best thing since sliced bread?

noht

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by teabgs
Now, if I get this right.....say I am downloading something from one person and they get offline...Can I then finish the DL from someone else who has the same file?

If so thats pretty sweet!:D

i think you got that right.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by britboy
Unfortunately both limewire and edonkey are blocked (i assume) the firewall here at the university. It's a shame, because edonkey sounds like the ideal P2P program: low resource requirements, downloads from multiple sources, runs in the background.... nice idea. I just wish i could use it :(

If you have access to the firewall software, or you know someone who does, enable connections on ports 4080 and 6346. That's eDonkey and Limewire/Gnutella respectively, IIRC.

Yoshi

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2001
Mac are better... even on the Donkey

Aloha dudes...
mldonkey is just hundred faster than the traditionnal ed2k client for the PC, I have tested both of them and there's no comparison, because mld is able to connect on multiple servers and then locate more sources for your d/l.
Now, the mldonkey thing is quite boring to use in a Terminal so go and check http://www.versiontracker.com to find the CocoDonkey application, a Cocoa GUI for the donkey. All you have to do is to specify where' s the mldonkey-distrib folder, set up the prefs for the application to start and stop the daemon and you' re ready to download like never before... On my little 512 DSL, I just downloaded a full Cd image in less than 5 hours... never seen that on KaZaa or Gnutella.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.