Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
Move2Mac

Hey!
Isn't that a Gateway on the box with the Mac?? You know, the one that bounces around in the commercial??:p

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Can anyone explain how this program is better than your normal data-transfer proceedures?

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
It's for people who have $60 to burn and don't know enough about their PC to copy the files onto their mac, wouldn't it be easier since all macs come with ethernet to use a crossover cable with your pC and transfer the files that way??

barbaloot

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Needed this 2 months ago.

My roommate "Switched" a couple of months ago. This would have been great. His Windoze box was 98 so you couldn't do file share very easy. We ended up IMing it to his new Mac. Which may I say was FAST!! You can't IM folders but you can IM directories.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Yeah, and look at the transfer speed lol.
Poeple nowadays have gigabytes of stuff on their comps.
The transferrate is 500 MB in 15 minutes?????

haha :)

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i agree. i saw it on the apple site a couple of days ago, and thought 'weak'. particularly the data transfer rate. and also, you can't use the cable it comes with for anything else! so it would be straight into landfill after you transfer your stuff. it's the most dud piece of crud i've ever seen gracing the apple mainpage.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
it's for people who don't know anything about computers, and want to switch to a mac. of course this isn't for people like us... we already know how to do that kind of stuff. But you have to remember there are MANY MANY MANY (actually most computer users) that have no idea what file sharing is or what ethernet is or even what USB is. Move2Mac is for those kind of people.. all they need to do is find a place where the cable fits in on both the computers, start up the software, click OK, and on they go.

irmongoose

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
EXACTLY. irmongoose got the point. The main idea of the package is to sell more macs to beginners and computer initiates--one of the main markets apple wants to target. The point of this program isn't to make seasoned users rant and complain (since they're either mac users already, or such a hardcore pc user that it'll be hard for them to switch), it's to allow beginners to switch from their clunky ol' pcs to macs and for apple to sell more macs in the process.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
instead of allowing people to buy a $60 piece of useless software, apple should distribute small brochures in the mac section of all stores carrying apple computers that clearly and concisely tells the customer how easy it is to transfer files. the people who would buy this piece of softare probably don't know anything about computers, and thus would be far more impressed with a simple explanation of how to copy files than thinking they have to buy an entire product just to move their files over. in the long run, i don't see this product helping out switchers much, if at all.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i like it. this gives pc users the hand holding they may think they need to be successful on a mac

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
instead of allowing people to buy a $60 piece of useless software, apple should distribute small brochures in the mac section of all stores carrying apple computers that clearly and concisely tells the customer how easy it is to transfer files. the people who would buy this piece of softare probably don't know anything about computers, and thus would be far more impressed with a simple explanation of how to copy files than thinking they have to buy an entire product just to move their files over. in the long run, i don't see this product helping out switchers much, if at all.

Apple does have info on this on their website, and I believe that they have brochures with this info at their own stores, although I may be mistaken about that.

The idea with this package seems to be that all you have to do is plug it in, load the software on the PC, and tell it to handle it for you, which is alot easier to grasp to the computer novice than a long list of what needs to be moved to where.

RL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.