Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I meant every word. I also will qualify that I would not use WIn11 without Start11. That puts the menu back to Win7 days. Best menu ever!
I'm fine with the menu actually even though it's basically a more efficient Launchpad clone, neither of which are strictly my thing - but it is the most noticeable change for sure. My many issues are almost entirely under the hood. One thing got fixed - the INFURIATING lack of support for deep sleep monitors in Windows 10, but there are a whole host of other issues for me that just stinks of 'throw 💩 against the wall instead of fixing what wasn't broke and is now broke'.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I guess if you haven't bought it, you wouldn't know what you're not getting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All of my Asus's are over that and I'd say they're *ok* in that respect compared to my Thinkpads and Z's.
I had a US$6000 IBM L40SX and it wasn't worth it. Years later, the owner of the company where I was working bought a US$6400 IBM laptop computer that was so new that they didn't have a manual for it, and some of the firmware had to be downgraded to make the machine work. I can't say that Lenovo has done better than IBM, but they're okay.

Paying so much and getting crap is not something I want to do. If I was going to buy a more expensive Windows machine, I'd probably buy a Razer Blade 14 because of the size and power.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I had a US$6000 IBM L40SX and it wasn't worth it.
I mean...

...there's moving the goalposts, and there's equating soccer to petanque

I think we're done here, there's no relevant discussion to be had from this

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FYI I have found Win 11 to be the best OS I have ever used. Bar none.
Really?
I won't say its bad, but its not been great. MS keeps adding features, and/or breaking existing features with an update. I'm generally pleased with windows 11 but I don't like the bloat
is Lenovo good anymore?
I think they're good. I really like the look of their gaming laptops, they usually highly regarded and highly recommended. Their thinkpad line is, imo, one of the best

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Wow, so you're complaining about a PC that was released in 1991, that's like telling people not to buy a Mac today because powerbook 100 wasn't a great laptop in 1991
I was just using it as an example of how too much isn't enough, along with the other that was so new that it didn't even have a user guide or manual yet.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
IMG_4210.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg
IMG_4242.jpeg
Well, I started with a white clamshell MacBook In 2006. OS Leopard. Been through numerous MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac Minis , and now a great base Mac Studio Ultra. Love the Apple ecosystem.

Something lot a fire and I built my first PC since 2004 and before that I was building back in 1996.
Went with:

Intel i9 14900 3.2ghz
Gigabyte Z790 elite AX board
64 GB GSkill DDR5 6000 ram
3 m.2 ssd drives each 2gb-Samsung 990, 980, 970
Gigabyte GeForce XTR 4070 graphics card
Corsair AIO cooler
Phanteks NV5 case and fans
Rosewill 1050W power supply
2 Gigabyte M32U 32” 4k 144hz monitors

Still gonna use my Mac Studio with Final Cut for 4k Videos, but man, Windows 11 Home is a really damn good OS. Never thought I would try Windows again, but the work computer made me rethink how I work
from home.

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 31

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
For a moment there I thought you'd gone to the trouble of giving a 6,1 actually worthwhile cooling 🤣

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
View attachment 2345245 View attachment 2345244 View attachment 2345246 View attachment 2345248 Well, I started with a white clamshell MacBook In 2006. OS Leopard. Been through numerous MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac Minis , and now a great base Mac Studio Ultra. Love the Apple ecosystem.

Something lot a fire and I built my first PC since 2004 and before that I was building back in 1996.
Went with:

Intel i9 14900 3.2ghz
Gigabyte Z790 elite AX board
64 GB GSkill DDR5 6000 ram
3 m.2 ssd drives each 2gb-Samsung 990, 980, 970
Gigabyte GeForce XTR 4070 graphics card
Corsair AIO cooler
Phanteks NV5 case and fans
Rosewill 1050W power supply
2 Gigabyte M32U 32” 4k 144hz monitors

Still gonna use my Mac Studio with Final Cut for 4k Videos, but man, Windows 11 Home is a really damn good OS. Never thought I would try Windows again, but the work computer made me rethink how I work
from home.
curious, such a nice and expensive build and pushing dual 4k monitors, why didnt you go for a 4080 or 4090? beautiful looking set up though

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
curious, such a nice and expensive build and pushing dual 4k monitors, why didnt you go for a 4080 or 4090? beautiful looking set up though

So like I noted, I hadn't built a PC in almost 20 years. I actually put a cart together at NewEgg a year or two ago, and the 4070 was about one of the top cards if I recall correctly. So over the last month I glazed over the cart and upgraded quite a few things and actually heard a bit about new cards being released soon. I left the 4070 in there as no Supers were available yet.

I actually have already started the return process on the 4070 I have and am waiting for stock on the 4080 Super.

Ya, after almost 20 years of not looking at much to do with PC's, I had to try to gauge what I thought would be the best build for my uses. I do a lot of 4k video off of a Nikon Z8 and photo editing @ almost 50MB/picture. So pretty big files. The Ultra handles them very well, but I did want a dual gaming platform besides the Xbox X. I do get about a consistent 130fps on Call of Duty MW3, so for me that's ok. But after talking to a friend that games a lot, he said I'd probably be happier with a more dedicated and higher Mhz monitor alongside a GPU upgrade.

All in all, I think the build cost about $2200, and compared to a $4000 Studio Ultra, that's a bargain.

• Love

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
So like I noted, I hadn't built a PC in almost 20 years. I actually put a cart together at NewEgg a year or two ago, and the 4070 was about one of the top cards if I recall correctly. So over the last month I glazed over the cart and upgraded quite a few things and actually heard a bit about new cards being released soon. I left the 4070 in there as no Supers were available yet.

I actually have already started the return process on the 4070 I have and am waiting for stock on the 4080 Super.

Ya, after almost 20 years of not looking at much to do with PC's, I had to try to gauge what I thought would be the best build for my uses. I do a lot of 4k video off of a Nikon Z8 and photo editing @ almost 50MB/picture. So pretty big files. The Ultra handles them very well, but I did want a dual gaming platform besides the Xbox X. I do get about a consistent 130fps on Call of Duty MW3, so for me that's ok. But after talking to a friend that games a lot, he said I'd probably be happier with a more dedicated and higher Mhz monitor alongside a GPU upgrade.

All in all, I think the build cost about $2200, and compared to a $4000 Studio Ultra, that's a bargain.
Yea for gaming I would go for a 240hz 1440p personally with a 4080 or 4090. I have a 4080 and warzone 3 runs in the low to mid 200’s and mostly high settings. 240hz monitor is next on my list, currently on a 165hz

Reactions: Steve686

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
Yea for gaming I would go for a 240hz 1440p personally with a 4080 or 4090. I have a 4080 and warzone 3 runs in the low to mid 200’s and mostly high settings. 240hz monitor is next on my list, currently on a 165hz

That sounds like a plan. I’m really sensitive to anything below around 100fps. My eyes don’t like it.

I’m probably going to look at 240hz soon but the 144hz Gigabyte screens aren’t bad at all.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I use both Mac and PC, mostly PC with Windows and I think MS Surface line really has pushed the other manufacturers forward in many ways. Using the HP Elitebook lineup currently , alright quality feel but Surface is still nicer.

I have messed around with Lenovo and Thinkpads a few times after IBM sold it all off and while I like the design and feel its getting more and more Chinese and in terms of relying on software, software updates and care about security I'd say Lenovo is a nono for me based on how China is evolving these days.

Where I were now we are deeply into MS stuff and while I do appriciate a lot of what they do I feel, just like with most things and manufacturers these days, there are to much unfinished stuff being released with to many bugs. Also MS are slowly turning into Google where a service/software have all the attention one day just to get axed the other day.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That sounds like a plan. I’m really sensitive to anything below around 100fps. My eyes don’t like it.

I’m probably going to look at 240hz soon but the 144hz Gigabyte screens aren’t bad at all.
Yea im still trying to figure out what 240hz monitor to get lol. Some of the new oled ones look very impressive but im in a fairly bright room and they do lack brightness compared to ips, or else i would be all over one.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Yea im still trying to figure out what 240hz monitor to get lol. Some of the new oled ones look very impressive but im in a fairly bright room and they do lack brightness compared to ips, or else i would be all over one.
I am also looking for decent 32 inch monitor with more than 60hz. So 1999.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007

Well, just pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte 4090. Should be here tomorrow. Wasn’t expecting to order one instead of the 4080 Super, but the Supers are too hard to get right now and I have to return the 4070 by the 13th.

Reactions: LeeW

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I use both Mac and PC, mostly PC with Windows and I think MS Surface line really has pushed the other manufacturers forward in many ways. Using the HP Elitebook lineup currently , alright quality feel but Surface is still nicer.

I have messed around with Lenovo and Thinkpads a few times after IBM sold it all off and while I like the design and feel its getting more and more Chinese and in terms of relying on software, software updates and care about security I'd say Lenovo is a nono for me based on how China is evolving these days.

Where I were now we are deeply into MS stuff and while I do appriciate a lot of what they do I feel, just like with most things and manufacturers these days, there are to much unfinished stuff being released with to many bugs. Also MS are slowly turning into Google where a service/software have all the attention one day just to get axed the other day.

Couldn't agree more. One of the reasons I've been steering away from Surface as things get less and less interesting after Panay got kicked upstairs (then left now, of course). On top of everything else Microsoft could have carried the Vision vision before Apple had anything similar ready, but they lost the race that was theirs to lose. Nadella the BS storyteller cloudman just isn't committed to anything but Azure, and definitely not hardware in the least - this is just one of the reasons an actually viable WoA experience will arrive far too late as well.

Lenovo is a potential risk down the line but rn they make exactly what I want (upper end Thinkpads and desktops up to and including the PX, which should be arriving soon), but HP are also an important part of my setup (again, mostly for similar category stuff - ZBooks to Z8's, though I have a few lower-end stuff too). The rest for me is Asus (Zephyrus, Flow and both of the Acronym variants) for more outright gaming & entertainment stuff.

The Lenovo risk though IMO is a drop in the ocean compared to the supply chain risks for almost everyone else. You could argue they are more likely to be targeted by bad Chinese actors than anyone on their home team.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well, just pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte 4090. Should be here tomorrow. Wasn’t expecting to order one instead of the 4080 Super, but the Supers are too hard to get right now and I have to return the 4070 by the 13th.
Nice! I was in a similar boat when I ordered my pc. Originally ordered the 4070ti model but then they put the 4080 model on sale for $200 more so it was a no brainer. couldn't justify the big increase to the 4090 since I dont plan to move to 4k gaming. But its a beast of a card for sure, optimized in warzone it can get into the high 200 fps at 1440p

Reactions: Steve686

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Couldn't agree more. One of the reasons I've been steering away from Surface as things get less and less interesting after Panay got kicked upstairs (then left now, of course). On top of everything else Microsoft could have carried the Vision vision before Apple had anything similar ready, but they lost the race that was theirs to lose. Nadella the BS storyteller cloudman just isn't committed to anything but Azure, and definitely not hardware in the least - this is just one of the reasons an actually viable WoA experience will arrive far too late as well.

Lenovo is a potential risk down the line but rn they make exactly what I want (upper end Thinkpads and desktops up to and including the PX, which should be arriving soon), but HP are also an important part of my setup (again, mostly for similar category stuff - ZBooks to Z8's, though I have a few lower-end stuff too). The rest for me is Asus (Zephyrus, Flow and both of the Acronym variants) for more outright gaming & entertainment stuff.

The Lenovo risk though IMO is a drop in the ocean compared to the supply chain risks for almost everyone else. You could argue they are more likely to be targeted by bad Chinese actors than anyone on their home team.
I agree about Lenovo anything. PC, tablet, phone, etc could all be compromised at some point. Lenovo even got caught adding Spyware to their PCs many years ago in bundled software.

Surface has been such a sad slow decline to witness.

The original surface Pro and laptops were game changing devices that were as nicely design and built as any Mac. The loud speakers under the keyboard was brilliant. The beautiful screen. Performance even on low specs was always on point.

Now that cutting edge design is showing it's age and instead of improving it they just slap new internals and call it a day. 60hz screen on a $1800 laptop?? Big bezels. Old internals. It is just embarrassing. The original design was so good on the tablet and laptop all they had to do was shrink the bezels on both, put 120hz screen, maybe even OLED, put the latest Intel and AMD processors.

The Surface line despite some design limitations (lack of ports) was a beautiful and cutting edge product that showcased what could be done with Windows and now is just hanging by threads of it's former existence.

I almost am getting Windows phone deja vu. Hope I am very wrong and they turn the line around soon!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Also MS are slowly turning into Google where a service/software have all the attention one day just to get axed the other day.
Not just with axing things. They are also turning into them with regard to user privacy. This is what I worry about. I was moving away from Apple (except for my iPhone) and then started really digging into how MS is evolving with Windows 11 and especially Windows 12. They are being pretty clear that they want Copilot to be completely integrated on a deep, deep level within the OS. This also means they need a steady stream of sweet, sweet user data--which they have already been getting for years now.

With little fanfare, according to Thurott, they are making billions off selling our data. Here is part of it (about Outlook):

And it is discussed in This Week in Windows in December (the first 25 minutes or so):

I took an honest look around and realized that sadly Apple is at least trying to not sell my data and even offers advanced data protection--which I use. So I am back to using my M1 MBP and 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro for everything except gaming--which I use my RTX 4060 laptop for.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Not just with axing things. They are also turning into them with regard to user privacy. This is what I worry about. I was moving away from Apple (except for my iPhone) and then started really digging into how MS is evolving with Windows 11 and especially Windows 12. They are being pretty clear that they want Copilot to be completely integrated on a deep, deep level within the OS. This also means they need a steady stream of sweet, sweet user data--which they have already been getting for years now.

With little fanfare, according to Thurott, they are making billions off selling our data. Here is part of it (about Outlook):

And it is discussed in This Week in Windows in December (the first 25 minutes or so):

I took an honest look around and realized that sadly Apple is at least trying to not sell my data and even offers advanced data protection--which I use. So I am back to using my M1 MBP and 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro for everything except gaming--which I use my RTX 4060 laptop for.
But unlike Apple we can still edit the registry and disable the telemetry.

Of course MS could change it so we couldn't.

I agree that MS has gone in the WRONG direction under the new CEO. Windows as a service, Office as a service, office 365 all suck. Make software that you charge for once and make it good enough people are willing to buy the new version.

With Windows as a service there is no incentive to create new features or clean up and optimize the code, clean up and organize all the menus in one place and get rid of old prompts. The details in Windows are a mess. I want a leaner Windows that performs better, is more reliable and secure, can optimize hardware, etc. Instead we get new windows dressing every 6 to 12 months with nothing major changed under the hood.

Of course we always have the nuclear option if Windows becomes a Chromebook and that is Linux.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe

Many good points and will deffo have a look at the links when I have the time, thanks.
From a private persons perspective I have been looking at alternatives beyond Windows 10. Might go for some Linux dist or I might just use my Macbook. Gaming wise I have a PS5 and a PC but have been looking at the SteamDeck, not super powerful but enough for me.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
Nice! I was in a similar boat when I ordered my pc. Originally ordered the 4070ti model but then they put the 4080 model on sale for $200 more so it was a no brainer. couldn't justify the big increase to the 4090 since I dont plan to move to 4k gaming. But its a beast of a card for sure, optimized in warzone it can get into the high 200 fps at 1440p

at 4k i am seeing a consistent 200f
Thing looks like Darth GeForce

Insane

IMG_4281.jpeg

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
But unlike Apple we can still edit the registry and disable the telemetry.

Of course MS could change it so we couldn't.

I agree that MS has gone in the WRONG direction under the new CEO. Windows as a service, Office as a service, office 365 all suck. Make software that you charge for once and make it good enough people are willing to buy the new version.

With Windows as a service there is no incentive to create new features or clean up and optimize the code, clean up and organize all the menus in one place and get rid of old prompts. The details in Windows are a mess. I want a leaner Windows that performs better, is more reliable and secure, can optimize hardware, etc. Instead we get new windows dressing every 6 to 12 months with nothing major changed under the hood.

Of course we always have the nuclear option if Windows becomes a Chromebook and that is Linux.
Yeah I think that's what will change. You won't be able to successfully disable the telemetry anymore--even with a regedit. It'll look like it worked, but an LTSC or enterprise license may be the only way to get an OS the way it was without all the telemetry.

Agree, I have thought a few times about going to Linux for my gaming laptop. I was a Redhat Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris OS Admin back in the day and I hear it has gotten about 100 times easier to work with since those days. Since Mac OS X, I have always used that as I felt it as a Linux that works LOL.

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.