Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014

I don't know how new it is but I find macrumor's search function's "screen-jump" to be a great example of awful website design:

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 11.39.24 AM.png

It's completely unnecessary and actually anti-function because it's

1) distracting and jarring, especially when not expecting it
2) it forces you to stop, search for where to type, and then refocus your attention while
3) losing the ability to see what was on the screen before initiating the search. Very often, my starting a search is the result of something I saw on the screen and wanted to still be able to read/look at while phrasing my search.

It adds no value I can think of other than: it made someone in marketing feel happy that the site introduced something new, and/or it kept a designer busy and involved on something for a few weeks.

The last thing I want when performing something on the screen is for an unexpected screen jump.

This is along the lines of how the iPad OS used to dim and blur the screen when you went to change brightness, completely losing the ability to see what you were viewing before which needed a brightness change, only to now not be able to see what you were looking at and then being unable to fine-tune your brightness change.

Or Microsoft Office 365's "Backstage" blasphemy, where the screen completely jumps when you go to save or open a file. On top of that, the folder navigation in Backstage is just gawdawful to boot, forcing you to click a few times to get to the "normal" Microsoft file explorer/browser window.

Please consider making the search more like the forum search? Simple, efficient, intuitive, undistracting.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
It looks like this new search was implemented in recent months. Maybe it's something that can be an option and toggled on/off.

Pinging @arn @WildCowboy for their input.
Thanks! I'll be curious to hear.

Although, even if it can be optioned off, the question remains:

What benefit is provided by this "feature" that completely changes the screen, shifts the location of the action/entry, blurs out the prior content, and shows new/different content on the screen?

If no discernible feature/benefit can be given, then why even have it even if it can be optioned away?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
It's a subjective thing. It's much more visual with images than a list of search results. It also doesn't bring you to a new page, having to swipe back if you want to back to where you were.

The pop up animation is quick for me and you just start typing to initiate search, much like Spotlight on Macs.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We've never been happy with our site search functionality, so we've been trying this new system out. The thumbnails are nice for glanceability, but I agree there are plenty of issues with it at the moment, most notably the timeliness (or lack thereof) of many of the top results. @arn has been looking at tweaking that aspect of it, but I'm not sure what other changes to the design and/or functionality are being considered.

Reactions: Boyd01 and sman789
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.