Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
And now it’s bloated and awful
Yeah. It’s gotten rather loaded up with, ahem, “features” since this thread was initiated some two years ago.

That said (not unexpectedly) it works really well with MS office, so I use it for all my work, and I actually open all outlook links that way via a browser switcher.

For non-work stuff I use Safari- especially now it supports web apps and profile switching.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Edge is not terrible for me but i wish I could have better browser support with my iphone and windows computer.

I use safari on the iPhone but i use Edge on my laptop but i dont want to switch fully to edge so it is annoying when you have 2 different passwords or favorites.

Bring back safari for windows apple lol

Reactions: Cape Dave

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
People complain about it having AI features better learn to just disable it, it wasn't that hard to do. Because guess what? its coming to every browser out there, thats where the future is heading and other browsers that dont adopt will be left behind. It really wasn't that hard to disable, I assume most of you must have enough tech knowledge to know where to find the settings lol

Reactions: Cape Dave

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Edge was great now very horrible with ads, unfriendly user experience and the graphic interface is just cluttered.
did George Lucas or Elon buy Edge recently?
I agree. But it is indeed now bloated. I only use Edge on my iPhone and iPads because the UI is actually pretty good and the built-in ad blocking has been great.

Reactions: StellarVixen

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
People complain about it having AI features better learn to just disable it, it wasn't that hard to do. Because guess what? its coming to every browser out there, thats where the future is heading and other browsers that dont adopt will be left behind. It really wasn't that hard to disable, I assume most of you must have enough tech knowledge to know where to find the settings lol
It’s hardly a dealbreaker if there’s no button to press to chat with GPT or whatever LLM you choose, so I don’t think anyone is gonna get “left behind” by not including it. And no one can predict where the future is heading.

Also, turning it off means it’s just out of your sight, it’s still there and the fact that it is might impact browser performance and resource footprint even when turned “off”.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am still getting on fine with Edge, sure a couple of annoying things but overall I still like it very much.

Aii

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
I had to stop using Microsoft Edge after MS appeared to remove the ability to enable javascript when visiting DuckDuckGo.

Edge used to offer an icon at the right hand side of the URL bar when a site needed javascript to work, and while the icon at first appears, it is immediately removed before I can click it.

Edge also used to offer the ability to select which cookies to accept or deny, on a site by site basis, again by presenting an icon at the right hand side of the URL bar, which once right clicked, presented a drop down (nested) of every cookie that site wanted to load.

Edge updates removed that ability as well.

It bothers me how Microsoft deprecates useful features, and in so doing removes the ability for users to refine the content that they allow to be downloaded onto their own device.

For the time being, I had to switch to Brave. I miss the way Edge USED to be, immediately after Edge redefined itself with Chromium, and was really trying to win hearts away from Chrome, by presenting security settings in a more visible and granular way.

But little by little, update by update, Edge has now evolved into a browser that does what IT wants, not what I want.

Brave has proven to be more like what Edge used to be, and better in some ways than what Edge evolved to become.

With Brave however, I've ended up enabling javascript for all sites, rather than toggling it on and off for each individual site, at the time I visit the sight, and for that session only, like I would like to do. Brave also does not allow me to selectively approve cookies a la carte, like I would like to do.

So I am still searching for browsers that can do that sort of thing.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Something 'not being hard to disable' in a browser but it still being enabled by default just rubs me the wrong way. If you need to disable it, I'd rather find me a browser that doesn't have those features to begin with.

And no, AI features are definitely not coming to every browser. Too many people prefer a clean browser that just takes them to the websites they want to visit.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Something 'not being hard to disable' in a browser but it still being enabled by default just rubs me the wrong way. If you need to disable it, I'd rather find me a browser that doesn't have those features to begin with.

And no, AI features are definitely not coming to every browser. Too many people prefer a clean browser that just takes them to the websites they want to visit.
I guess we'll see soon, because AI is the big thing right now, even being baked into chips

Reactions: Technerd108

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I had to stop using Microsoft Edge after MS appeared to remove the ability to enable javascript when visiting DuckDuckGo.

Edge used to offer an icon at the right hand side of the URL bar when a site needed javascript to work, and while the icon at first appears, it is immediately removed before I can click it.

Edge also used to offer the ability to select which cookies to accept or deny, on a site by site basis, again by presenting an icon at the right hand side of the URL bar, which once right clicked, presented a drop down (nested) of every cookie that site wanted to load.

Edge updates removed that ability as well.

It bothers me how Microsoft deprecates useful features, and in so doing removes the ability for users to refine the content that they allow to be downloaded onto their own device.

For the time being, I had to switch to Brave. I miss the way Edge USED to be, immediately after Edge redefined itself with Chromium, and was really trying to win hearts away from Chrome, by presenting security settings in a more visible and granular way.

But little by little, update by update, Edge has now evolved into a browser that does what IT wants, not what I want.

Brave has proven to be more like what Edge used to be, and better in some ways than what Edge evolved to become.

With Brave however, I've ended up enabling javascript for all sites, rather than toggling it on and off for each individual site, at the time I visit the sight, and for that session only, like I would like to do. Brave also does not allow me to selectively approve cookies a la carte, like I would like to do.

So I am still searching for browsers that can do that sort of thing.

A fair amount of the limitations is likely down to Chromium itself I feel.

I did all this with Firefox - which to me is far less smoke & mirrors when it comes to security (tho gecko and having to set up stuff yourself) than Brave for example, but it got to be a giant drag. I've no interest in this level of micromanagement - I'd rather cloak myself at the network end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.