Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hello, experts, I am in big trouble! This posting is being typed on a partition in which the problem is non-existent but which I need to abandon for other reasons, later. I created an alternative partition and in it, I installed High Sierra (my iMac is quite old). I installed my Logitech Marble Trackball, and all was well. HOWEVER, while looking at System Preferences, I idly clicked on "Mouse" (even though I do not use a mouse, but the Logitech device). I clicked on which button should be the primary button, and changed this from "Left" to "Right". It was at that point that I realised that my Logitech device was not working properly. Some commands (such as the menu for shutting down, sleep, log out etc.) work, but if (for example), I try to command "Shut down", nothing happens! There are many other commands that do not work now. For example, I can click on an item in System Preferences (say, startup disk), but they are all unresponsive to my pointer. I simply don't know how to restore this partition so that it can be used again!

Can anyone suggest a cure? I have tried re-starting (by waiting for the countdown to finish, because my pointer cannot control the shut-down),but it is just the same when I re-boot.
In hopes,
C.H.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I clicked on which button should be the primary button, and changed this from "Left" to "Right".
I'm guessing your Logitech is now set to have primary click on the right. So, using your right-click on the logitech as primary click, go back and change the primary-click setting back to left.

(Added: Then, maybe you can find if Logitech has software for controling your trackball settings.)

Last edited:

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
I'm guessing your Logitech is now set to have primary click on the right. So, using your right-click on the logitech as primary click, go back and change the primary-click setting back to left.

(Added: Then, maybe you can find if Logitech has software for controling your trackball settings.)
Thanks for replying. First, I am certain that the software is the latest for this OS. I did not tell you all that happened. I clicked on the Logitech app in System Preferences (hoping to re-set it), and accidentally deleted it. It would not allow me to re-configure the trackball, and it is now useless (uinless a cure can be found)
It occurred to me to delete all the preferences for Logitech, after booting up in my old partition (where the trackball still works). I must now get hold of an ordinary mouse (I hope that would still work, at least). Then, I couid try to re-install the Logitech trackball, using the ordinary mouse as a pointer. Do you surmise that there is a chance of this restoring the trackball?
C.H.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015

Ben J. Thanks, very much, for your responses. This is just to tell you that all is now well. Luckily, on my computer, there is more than one partition. Two of them have the same OS (High Sierra) on them. It seems that I had corrupted the Preference Pane for "Mouse" in System Preferences. After many attempts at curing the problem, I booted up in the partition in which Logitech was working with no problems, and dragged over the Preference Pane from there, to the partition in which Logitech was in deep trouble. Then, I re-started. It has completely cured the problem, and I was able to configure my Marble Mouse. Everything is now OK. Phew! — what a relief! Thanks again.
C.H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.