Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hey guys,

This is a simple, but also a serious problem.

I just want to 100% remove Google Chrome from my iPad Mini 3 running iOS 12.

I basically want a fresh start with Google Chrome where all of my visited websites are gone, my settings are back to the default Google Chrome comes with and my bookmarks are all gone.

Is this possible in iOS 12?

I know in Windows PC's it's not easy to do a 100% uninstall of an App because of the Windows Registry system and folders are often left behind even after an uninstall is completed of an App...

Thank you for any advice!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hey guys,

This is a simple, but also a serious problem.

I just want to 100% remove Google Chrome from my iPad Mini 3 running iOS 12.

I basically want a fresh start with Google Chrome where all of my visited websites are gone, my settings are back to the default Google Chrome comes with and my bookmarks are all gone.

Is this possible in iOS 12?

I know in Windows PC's it's not easy to do a 100% uninstall of an App because of the Windows Registry system and folders are often left behind even after an uninstall is completed of an App...

Thank you for any advice!
Without complete system reset I can’t think of a possible way to “cleanly delete google chrome”. The way how iOS is designed, deleting app merely deletes executables, resources, some libraries and so on. App data on the other hand may be left behind, at least some of them. I have seen some examples of game/app getting removed from my iPhone iPad and when I reinstall them weeks after, I can still get some settings exactly the way I want right off the bat, after a supposed to be “clean install”, provided that I did not reset the device since then.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Without complete system reset I can’t think of a possible way to “cleanly delete google chrome”. The way how iOS is designed, deleting app merely deletes executables, resources, some libraries and so on. App data on the other hand may be left behind, at least some of them. I have seen some examples of game/app getting removed from my iPhone iPad and when I reinstall them weeks after, I can still get some settings exactly the way I want right off the bat, after a supposed to be “clean install”, provided that I did not reset the device since then.
Thank you for your reply Shirasaki.

Hmmm I thought iOS and MacOS were much better at 100% removing Apps compared to Windows 10?

Is there another way I can 100% remove Google Chrome and then re-install a fresh install of Google Chrome?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thank you for your reply Shirasaki.

Hmmm I thought iOS and MacOS were much better at 100% removing Apps compared to Windows 10?

Is there another way I can 100% remove Google Chrome and then re-install a fresh install of Google Chrome?
Given how little user can access the file system, I’d say there is no other way. Jailbreak certainly is not on the table for example.
iOS, being touted by Apple “the desktop operating system on your mobile device”, in some cases don’t perform any different than it’s macOS counterpart, except access is far more restricted (imagine a Windows 10 device with standard account and max UAC setting). It’s pros and cons really worth opening another thread just for that topic lol.
Many beg apple to release a feature called “removing app data” but Apple never listen.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Are you sure those weren’t settings that may have been synced to iCloud or something else? I’m pretty sure deleting an app on iOS nukes everything.

Reactions: lupinglade

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Are you sure those weren’t settings that may have been synced to iCloud or something else? I’m pretty sure deleting an app on iOS nukes everything.
I am very sure.
Those games don’t utilise iCloud at all or only for user progress. App settings and corrupted files sometimes won’t be removed on its own.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I am very sure.
Those games don’t utilise iCloud at all or only for user progress. App settings and corrupted files sometimes won’t be removed on its own.
But those games probably use Game Center. Which will keep track of a bunch of things.

To remove Chrome completely: Go to Settings->General > iPad Storage. Select Chrome From the app list and remove it. Than it’s gone. You can check Settings->Passwords and remove unwanted Passwords for websites or service you used with Chrome.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
But those games probably use Game Center. Which will keep track of a bunch of things.

To remove Chrome completely: Go to Settings->General > iPad Storage. Select Chrome From the app list and remove it. Than it’s gone. You can check Settings->Passwords and remove unwanted Passwords for websites or service you used with Chrome.
I play some games that don’t use Game Center and iCloud. They do have their own stuff to “carry over” game data, but some other stuff (mostly settings) are not carried over to another device. Removing those games sometimes don’t remove those left over files either.
This is the main reason when I wanted to remove these stubborn stuff (corrupted files), I did a full reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.