Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I run Yosemite in my MB 4.1 early 2008 during several years thanks to TMRJIJ and MacPostFactor (first issue).
For unknown reasons suddently it stopped working. :mad:
Any booting of Yosemite either from the inner drive or from one of the bootable Yosemite clones I had made from time to time (... since I never trusted the hacked Yosemite) caused an electrical shut down of the Mac :eek:
Hardware problems (the logical conclusion) had to be discarded since booting from an external pen drive with the original Lion or from the Windows 10 sharing my inner drive both worked without problems.
Something in Yosemite (Driver? Kext?) had to be the reason but what???
After a week long struggle o_OI managed with MacPostFactor 2.0.1 to re-install a Yosemite which did not shut down the Mac.
With the Migration Assistant then I imported from a clone my programs and settings.
However now...
1) The Desktop is solid black!!! The MCPF (or any other Wallpaper) is not installed when I choose it.
2) The Dock has disappeared!!! To run any software I must open the Mac HD Icon and the Applications inside it. Not even the Trash can is shown. :(
Any help from someone with more knowledge than mine (maybe through the Terminal or elsewhere) would be very appreciated!
Thanks!
Ed

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
First idea: What happens if you set up a new second user on that installation?
Will the wallpaper and dock come back there?

Sidenote: What initially happened might have been deleted NVRAM boot-args for enabling unsigned kexts and disabled compatibility check. Perhaps battery totally depleted for some time?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

Sidenote: What initially happened might have been deleted NVRAM boot-args for enabling unsigned kexts and disabled compatibility check. Perhaps battery totally depleted for some time?
Thank you for your kind answer.
I have a second user created with the MigrationAssistant and the black Desktop and no Dock are the same.
The battery was never empty and I usually use the AC adapter, not the battery.
What do you suggest to do?
I do not understand that trying to boot from any bootable clone I made in the past causes now an electrical shut down.
That with the AC adapter, not just with the battery...
Thank you again for your goodwill!

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Has the initial install with MCPF been unsuspicious (with wallpaper and dock)?
Then it might be a tedious but viable method to use the migration assistant to take over your data in multiple steps (i.e. first programs/apps, then documents, then network and other settings) to see when it happens to go wrong.

The "electric shutdown" that you encountered is typical for a couple of scenarios: Intel ME gone wrong, SMC misconfiguration, wrong/missing entries in NVRAM for correct boot-arguments to enable certain kexts needed on unsupported systems.
Have you for some reason reset the NVRAM back then between a working Yosemite and the strange fault lateron?

(I encountered a very similar situation when I tried to go from Yosemite to El Cap on MB3,1 and MBP2,1. Could not boot other external Yosemite installations after the experiments any more - even re-installations failed. Then I discovered the importance of various boot-args in addition to the right boot.efi version).

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

By the way. The Migration Assistant was needed not only for the apps and settings.
The initial Yosemite created with MacPostFactor 2.0.1 did not recognize the 144MB Graphic Card and the built in microphone and speakers. I had no sound and a lousy shaking image.
After the Migration both the graphic card and the sound are recognized...but the desktop is all black and the Dock unseen...

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Has the initial install with MCPF been unsuspicious (with wallpaper and dock)?
Then it might be a tedious but viable method to use the migration assistant to take over your data in multiple steps (i.e. first programs/apps, then documents, then network and other settings) to see when it happens to go wrong.

The "electric shutdown" that you encountered is typical for a couple of scenarios: Intel ME gone wrong, SMC misconfiguration, wrong/missing entries in NVRAM for correct boot-arguments to enable certain kexts needed on unsupported systems.
Have you for some reason reset the NVRAM back then between a working Yosemite and the strange fault lateron?

(I encountered a very similar situation when I tried to go from Yosemite to El Cap on MB3,1 and MBP2,1. Could not boot other external Yosemite installations after the experiments any more - even re-installations failed. Then I discovered the importance of various boot-args in addition to the right boot.efi version).
I cannot remember having reset the NVRAM p r I o r to the shut downs.
Afterwards I tried. EVERYTHING including Disk Warrior which helped me in past problems.
I am unfortunately not expert in the Terminal which power users manipulate for all kind of problems.
I do not know either how to modify boot arguments.
Can you help me please?

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Sounds wrong somehow: MCPF should be sufficient (with the addition of the post-install patches as far as I can remember). I got all my old machines up and running with sound and graphics frame buffer (144MB for GMA x3100 i.e.). No need for the migration assistant in that respect. I´d propose to get the fresh system up and running first (it´s all a matter of getting the right kexts installed - you might try the kext wizard tool for that, if the MCPF additions should not do the trick). Then carefully migrate your old data/setup/programs...
[automerge]1570221421[/automerge]
See if you can fire up terminal.
Then type nvram boot-args
What does it report?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
By the way. The Migration Assistant was needed not only for the apps and settings.
The initial Yosemite created with MacPostFactor 2.0.1 did not recognize the 144MB Graphic Card and the built in microphone and speakers. I had no sound and a lousy shaking image.
After the Migration both the graphic card and the sound are recognized...but the desktop is all black and the Dock unseen...
The problem with your suggestion of selective migrations is that I need the System more than the apps. And the System looks to be the reason of the shut ups,
I can try again with MacPostFactor although I am sure it will again SEE only 6MB video RAM instead of 144MB and neither microphone nor speakers.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Well, the 6MB issue and also the missing sound can be cured with applying the correct kexts. That can be done with kext wizard, but may require adjusting the boot-arguments.
If that was the main reason for the migration assistant, then all the better ;-)
Do you have the kext wizard tool? I can send that over to you if not. Also the x3100 kexts for Yosemite.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Sounds wrong somehow: MCPF should be sufficient (with the addition of the post-install patches as far as I can remember). I got all my old machines up and running with sound and graphics frame buffer (144MB for GMA x3100 i.e.). No need for the migration assistant in that respect. I´d propose to get the fresh system up and running first (it´s all a matter of getting the right kexts installed - you might try the kext wizard tool for that, if the MCPF additions should not do the trick). Then carefully migrate your old data/setup/programs...
[automerge]1570221421[/automerge]
See if you can fire up
Then type nvram boot-args
What does it report?
Thank you again for your suggestion regarding the Terminal.
Presently I cannot boot at all. It remains at the Apple.
I will try again with MacPostFactor and will report to you if I get a bootable system.
Have a nice evening and a pleasant week end and thank you very very much!

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Here is the tool, in case you need it. Found the GMAx3100 kexts also.
I can assist you with handling the kexts if you like.
Good luck with MCPF as the first step and have a nice weekend.

Attachments

• Kext Wizard.zip
    364.6 KB · Views: 328
  • GMA x3100.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

I am sorry to be forced to accept your kind offer, Lars, but I do not know how to go further without your generous help.
The Yosemite I finally configured does not recognize either the 144MB GPU or the built in mike and speakers.
The Kexts you sent me are already in the System/Extensions, as well as the AppleHDA.Kext (without the "Intel") but no Sound In- or Out-devices appear in the Systemeinstellungen...in spite that mike and speakers both figure in "Über diesen Mac".
But the GPU with 144 MB does NOT figure there at all!
The ridiculous 6MB Video RAM cause freezing even of Safari (!) or bring the spinning beachball without an end.
The Kext Wizard you kindly sent me is like the Kext Installer which comes with the MCPF Patch Files. It says it cannot find the "source" of any Kext I try to re-install. (Don't know if that tells you anything).
However it just makes any existing Kext as .bak when a newer one is placed in the Installer window, so that for the system the Kexts exist... but for Sound and Graphics NIENTE!
Without your OK I am afraid of trying to patch anything with the patching tools of MCPF or the Extractor!!!.
Among those files there is a GMA X3100 Package... but trying to install it brings always a failure at the end!!!
I am enclosing some Bildschirmfotos. I hope they tell you something.
Any help or suggestion would be very very appreciated.
Sorry to have to bother you Lars.
Have a pleasant Sunday.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.31.42.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.31.42.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.32.10.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.32.10.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.32.31.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.32.31.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.43.07.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.43.07.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 320
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.38.00.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 12.38.00.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 13.28.24.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 13.28.24.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 13.28.49.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-05 um 13.28.49.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 241

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Some ideas:
First of all, Kext Utility is not Kext Wizard. You can use both, but the workflow is quite different.
I have never seen the "cannot copy source file" message. Have you extracted the kexts to i.e. the desktop or another local (not external) path?
Audio: Seems to have loaded the necessary kexts (which can be verified by Kext Wizard!) but the output is set to AirPlay. You might change that in the audio settings pref pane or the AudioMidi-Setup tool (included in macOS).

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Some ideas:
First of all, Kext Utility is not Kext Wizard. You can use both, but the workflow is quite different.
I have never seen the "cannot copy source file" message. Have you extracted the kexts to i.e. the desktop or another local (not external) path?
Audio: Seems to have loaded the necessary kexts (which can be verified by Kext Wizard!) but the output is set to AirPlay. You might change that in the audio settings pref pane or the AudioMidi-Setup tool (included in macOS).
Thank you very much for your answer.
Neither the Audio-Midi Assistant nor the PreferencePanes(in System/Library) offer anything. Airplay appears not because chosen by me but because microphone and speakers are not seen. In the Audio PreferencePane appears exactly Airplay like in the System Preferences. No other Audio in- or out-device.
As to the kexts, I just used those coming in the PatchFiles Ordner of MCPF where the Kext utility is also downloaded.
When trying to install the 5 Audio Intel kexts you sent me with your Kext Wizard nothing happened to bring back sound. Therefore I tried it with the Kext Utility without anything changing but just replacing apparently existing in the system kexts by making them .bak and replacing with the kexts I put in the window.
Sound devices remained still not working.
What puzzles me is that microphone and speakers appear in the About This Mac but as Graphic/Monitor only generic 6MB figures there.
Strange also that the USB Installer contains the kexts...but the installed Yosemite „has“ them as well in the System Extensions...but they do not actually work for sound and Image.
How can a System not be operating its own components?

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
I´m just puzzled by the "cannot copy" error that I have never encountered with the utility.
Can you check which kexts are actually loaded, pls.? That is a function of Kext Wizard. You can filter the kexts (around 130 to 170 should be loaded depending on your configuration) to see only the x3100 or audio kexts.
What is also essential (and should be done by both tools if used correctly): The kext file attributes have to be correct (for root-wheel and not the user who copied them to the S/L/E folder). And also, the prelinked kernel has to be rebuilt, otherwise the kexts are ignored at boot). This is also normally taken care of by the tools.

I have had my MB4,1 running with sound, 144MB buffer on Yosemite, El Cap and (much better graphics performance) now on Mojave. So it can be done (you had it running yourself for a while) if done right.

Still open point: What are the boot-args on your machine? If wrong, kexts won´t load right. (Which again, can be checked with the Kext Wizard).

So there are still things to try.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I´m just puzzled by the "cannot copy" error that I have never encountered with the utility.
Can you check which kexts are actually loaded, pls.? That is a function of Kext Wizard. You can filter the kexts (around 130 to 170 should be loaded depending on your configuration) to see only the x3100 or audio kexts.
What is also essential (and should be done by both tools if used correctly): The kext file attributes have to be correct (for root-wheel and not the user who copied them to the S/L/E folder). And also, the prelinked kernel has to be rebuilt, otherwise the kexts are ignored at boot). This is also normally taken care of by the tools.

I have had my MB4,1 running with sound, 144MB buffer on Yosemite, El Cap and (much better graphics performance) now on Mojave. So it can be done (you had it running yourself for a while) if done right.

Still open point: What are the boot-args on your machine? If wrong, kexts won´t load right. (Which again, can be checked with the Kext Wizard).

I thank you very much for your interesting suggestions.
After a week long fight I am truly tired.
I made a Mavericks USB Installer and it created a normal Mavericks OS with the right GPU and the sound devices.
If one day you can explain me „For Dummies“ how you managed to install those much more advanced Mac OS in your 4.1, I will be grateful.
By now I will keep for a while my good working Mavericks but if you have at some moment the time and patience for an easy understandable upgrade explanation, I will do my best once I recovered my nerfs...
Thank you heartily for all your efforts, your goodwill and your patience with me.
Have a nice evenings and a pleasant week.
Thanks!
Edmund

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

In case you still have a bit of patience.
For safety I made a bootable clone of my Mavericks.
After installing one of the few Updates Apple delivers for old systems the sound in and out is gone!
The number of Kexts the Wizard found is 109, for your info.
I don‘t know how to handle the Kext attributes and prelinked kernel you mention.
Any idea how to recover sound after an update?
Thanks God I used the clone.
Thank you very much for any suggestion.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
In a way I do not understand somehow I could again install Yosemite in my MB 4.1.
At least for a certain time my problem is no longer one.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009

Hi.

I'm now at the same point with my 2006 Macbook.

I used Macpostfactor 2.1

Initially, all was ok with the install (from lion). Prior to my adding the kexts.
i'd been having trouble with finding appropriate Intel GM950 kexts, but managed to source them from a macrumours page and ran the installer (assumedly from Macosxextractor).

At this point, I get the same issue as the OP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 16.52.44.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 16.52.44.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 292

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Hi.

I'm now at the same point with my 2006 Macbook.

I used Macpostfactor 2.1

Initially, all was ok with the install (from lion). Prior to my adding the kexts.
i'd been having trouble with finding appropriate Intel GM950 kexts, but managed to source them from a macrumours page and ran the installer (assumedly from Macosxextractor).

At this point, I get the same issue as the OP.
Hm. MacBook 2006 would be the model 1,1 with only Core Duo intel processor. So I´d guess you use a 2,1 or later.
I recently cloned a MacBook Pro 2,1 with El Capitan over to a MacBook 2,1 which previously ran a patched Yosemite. After fiddling a bit with the GMA950 drivers from the MacPostFactor package I got at least the video buffer (64MB) right.
I know that installing from scratch with the MacPostFactor tools can be tedious and it might not turn out perfect on all machines. That´s why I clone+patch wherever it´s possible...

What I could offer is to compare loaded kexts between my MB2,1 and your machine. But that only makes sense with El Cap 10.11.6

Another idea: Have you tried to use Onyx or TinkerTools to reset/rebuild various caches and buffers? That could be helpful as well.

edit: After seeing your screenshots below, I discovered that "Late 2006" are already MB 2,1. Mental sanity restored ;-)

Last edited:

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
Hm. MacBook 2006 would be the model 1,1 with only Core Duo intel processor. So I´d guess you use a 2,1 or later.
I recently cloned a MacBook Pro 2,1 with El Capitan over to a MacBook 2,1 which previously ran a patched Yosemite. After fiddling a bit with the GMA950 drivers from the MacPostFactor package I got at least the video buffer (64MB) right.
I know that installing from scratch with the MacPostFactor tools can be tedious and it might not turn out perfect on all machines. That´s why I clone+patch wherever it´s possible...

What I could offer is to compare loaded kexts between my MB2,1 and your machine. But that only makes sense with El Cap 10.11.6

Another idea: Have you tried to use Onyx or TinkerTools to reset/rebuild various caches and buffers? That could be helpful as well.

Morning!

Thanks for the help.

So overnight I wiped the hard drive this time rather than letting the Macpostfactor key upgrade Lion and...well, this time it seems to have installed the drivers itself?
As far as can tell I've got a working system, with graphics, though I'm early days.

So does this mean MPF2.1 installs drivers? Obviously the dock isn't right.

Anything else I need to do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 08.53.54.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 08.53.54.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 08.54.08.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 08.54.08.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 223
Reactions: Larsvonhier

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Well, yes, now that you have a running Yosemite, max it out and go for El Capitan - latest security improvements are still being rolled out by Apple for 10.11.6 !
-> see tool Lockrattler from EclecticLight to get the latest infos and force updates then
Performance of El Cap (even with GMA950) is quite comparable to Yosemite, no other handicaps there.
And your machine inofficially supports 3GB or even 4GB (of which not all is useable, but access is a few percent faster with 2 equal RAM banks). And of course, an SSD with trim enabled (extra tool for that) is great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.