Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook 140

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
essex UK
i have a very damaged laptop and i was woundering if anyone can direct me to parts for my machine especially the ultra rare LCD ribbon cable

parts missing

LCD back plate: (completely destroyed after the fall)
Blue foil thingy: (also damaged)
LCD cable: (ripped in half completely)

the logic board still boots fine and the LCD and bezel survived

Attachments

• DSC_0332.JPG
    DSC_0332.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 337

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Firstly, you need to determine which display type/revision you have. This will determine which cable is required.

From your photo, it looks like you have a Rev A Display.

Your cable, therefore, should be service P/N 922-0820 (same cable used in the Powerbook 145B).
Originally P/N 630-6271 (no shim)
replaced by 936-0108 including shim)
replaced by the last P/N being 922-0820.

The blue & foil shield only needs to make metal to metal contact with one hinge - the machine may run sufficiently without the shield being electrically bonded to the hinges.

The rear display housing service P/N is 922-0044 (which fits the PB140, PB145, PB145b PB170, PB160, PB165, PB180 (But NOT Color Models).

The display housings are notorious for plastic cracking around the brass threaded bushings. Once the screws on the hinges loosen, the problem becomes much worse. Sometimes if you can get to them early enough you can superglue the cracks and/or surround them with some appropriate resin.

Do be careful of any case screws, the cracking around the brass threaded bushings run right throughout the entire machine.

Also, when disassembling the bottom case, don't flex the interconnect board cable (flat grey cable), since each individual cable is a single strand wire and could break internally if flexed too many times.

As for where, your guess is as good as mine. - use the part numbers on google or look at buying another machine to build one full system.

Finally, if you don't yet have it, search google for "powerbook_140.145.b.170.pdf"

Powerbook 140

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
essex UK
Firstly, you need to determine which display type/revision you have. This will determine which cable is required.

From your photo, it looks like you have a Rev A Display.

Your cable, therefore, should be service P/N 922-0820 (same cable used in the Powerbook 145B).
Originally P/N 630-6271 (no shim)
replaced by 936-0108 including shim)
replaced by the last P/N being 922-0820.

The blue & foil shield only needs to make metal to metal contact with one hinge - the machine may run sufficiently without the shield being electrically bonded to the hinges.

The rear display housing service P/N is 922-0044 (which fits the PB140, PB145, PB145b PB170, PB160, PB165, PB180 (But NOT Color Models).

The display housings are notorious for plastic cracking around the brass threaded bushings. Once the screws on the hinges loosen, the problem becomes much worse. Sometimes if you can get to them early enough you can superglue the cracks and/or surround them with some appropriate resin.

Do be careful of any case screws, the cracking around the brass threaded bushings run right throughout the entire machine.

Also, when disassembling the bottom case, don't flex the interconnect board cable (flat grey cable), since each individual cable is a single strand wire and could break internally if flexed too many times.

As for where, your guess is as good as mine. - use the part numbers on google or look at buying another machine to build one full system.

Finally, if you don't yet have it, search google for "powerbook_140.145.b.170.pdf"
My display is a Sharp LM64P51 with the number KS1401531604SA and i also have a method of repairing the hinges using a inner metal chassis im building

Powerbook 140

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
essex UK
This post has not been touched in aaaaageessss.

well! i have an update!

i will attempt to rebuild this machine once again but no custom parts....just too much effort, thankfully friendly folks in the community are assisting me in locating parts.

she WILL live again....kudos to mr Robert P Matyschok for providing me with my DIY SCSI2SD board that takes care of the hard drive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.