Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hello All,

I am hoping that this post for help is not so "personal" that it does not help others.

I have a 2018 iPad Pro (model A2013) with 512GB of storage - wifi/cellular with Verizon. I love it, and use it all the time. In my life, I have a very specific use case for all of my devices, and the iPad fits in perfectly. I travel a lot for work, and use it for quick mobile computing when pulling out a laptop is not ideal. I will probably downgrade to 256GB on my next iPad as I do not need all of the storage space.

I use it for reading documents, responding to (simpler) emails, reading magazines and news, watching movies and YouTube, communications such as discord, slack and Facetime, reading books, taking notes for work, etc. I love reading in bed and on the sofa, so the form factor (11") is perfect for me. I use the pen only for taking notes and highlighting research papers.

I do not use it for very demanding apps - but I also recognize the need to be somewhat future proof - apps will get bigger and hungrier for more CPU power and RAM. I game rarely, as most of my gaming is on PC.

So...what to upgrade to? I believe that of the "pro" features, the one that I wish to keep is promotion 120Hz. So what do you guys recommend? I have never bought refurbished, but it may be time to consider this. Are older M chip pros the way to go?

Thanks!
R

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
If you don't have "I wish this tablet was faster" thoughts with your current tablet, there's no need to upgrade.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hi, and thanks for the quick replies!

I did leave out that the battery life is starting to fail me - I need to plug in during the day to recharge, which I did not have to do before. I also see some stuttering when using multiple apps, but nothing dreadful.

So yes, let's say that I "want" to upgrade more than I "need" to, but that is the same for what, 90% of the folks who will buy the new iPads? :)

So what generation of iPad makes the most sense from a pricing perspective? When I looked at other models, the refurbs seemed to be close to the new iPads.

Thanks,
R

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.