Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
Have been nursing along a 2nd-Gen SE since 2021 and it is time to upgrade. The biggest qualms I've had with this SE are battery life and the ear and audio speakers which went bad very quickly. I suppose I've also had an issue on remote touring when my colleagues with newer iphones had service but I did not.

I think I'm leaning toward a 13 as it would be the best case for budget v. usage v. size (eyes are getting a bit strained on the 4.7" screen), though wishing the price point was slightly better, considering its age. I won't be trading in my current phone as I can still use it as a backup video camera and ipod, etc. I feel like the experience would be a huge upgrade already, so not jonesing for a 15 or anything. I'm actually a little sad that I'll losing the dedicated silence switch.

Should I hold out and try to time a price reduction when it gets discontinued, or pull the trigger now? Anything I'm not thinking about?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I have had my 13 since Jan 2023 and it still feels cutting edge. There isn’t really any noticeable difference between the 13 and the 15 other than dynamic island. The 13 should still receive iOS updates until Sept 2027 and it’ll still be a viable device until 2029/2030 which means it’s definitely worth buying in 2024.

I am using the 6S/SE1 as a comparison as these phones use the A9 chip and both devices are 100% usable in 2024 despite being 9 years old. I am using my 6S to type this message and I could easily use this phone as my daily driver.

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
Depends where you plan to get the phone from. Apple do sell refurb models on the apple website, compared to buying new from Apple you'll save money there.

The silence switch is still there. I have the 13 very happy with it. If you need a new phone now I'd say go for it as Apple may remove the 13 form there site once the new model is out if you plan directly from Apple.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Should I hold out and try to time a price reduction when it gets discontinued, or pull the trigger now? Anything I'm not thinking about?

If you're looking for a lower price, you could go with an Apple Certified Refurbished iPhone 13 and save $100 to $140 (depending on storage size) versus new. For example, a refurbished 128GB iPhone 13 is $529 versus $629 new. The refurbished phone will have new battery, new outer shell, same as new 1 year warranty, etc. However, availability varies and none are available right now.

Also, the next generation iPhone SE is rumored to be based on the iPhone 14 and will likely go on sale by Q1 next year if you're willing to wait that long.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 13 uses an e-SIM, your SE does not. Personally I’m not a fan of eSIM at all since it doesn’t improve anything for me and just makes switching phones a hassle.

• Love
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
I popped into my local Apple Store today. The kid who helped me stated outright that the 13 and 14 are essentially the same phone for most use cases, and it would be supported for years. I liked the slightly lighter weight of the 13 in the hand. I'll make a decision soon--appreciate the help, gang!

Reactions: Helmsley

Whoops2474

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
I popped into my local Apple Store today. The kid who helped me stated outright that the 13 and 14 are essentially the same phone for most use cases, and it would be supported for years. I liked the slightly lighter weight of the 13 in the hand. I'll make a decision soon--appreciate the help, gang!
Actually iPhone 13 weights 2 grams more than iPhone 14 🤭.

174 vs. 172

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
When I compared the 13 against the 14 the specs are largely the same the 14 has the satellite SOS function and crash detection I believe are the standout features compared to the 13 you can go on the apple website and compare both phones side by side though if you looking to save money the 13 is still your best bet

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
The notable difference is RAM where iPhone 13 has 4gb compared to 6gb on iPhone 14 & 15. But again, it depends apps usage even though in long term it may become slightly uncomfortable where the app will refresh more frequently.

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
The notable difference is RAM where iPhone 13 has 4gb compared to 6gb on iPhone 14 & 15. But again, it depends apps usage even though in long term it may become slightly uncomfortable where the app will refresh more frequently.
I'm not sure I'd notice: I've had the first two SE models as my only iphones, and it's not the app usage that's the problem--it's the speakers blowing and the telephony.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I'm not sure I'd notice: I've had the first two SE models as my only iphones, and it's not the app usage that's the problem--it's the speakers blowing and the telephony.
I take it that the speakers didn’t blow on your SE1? I have the SE1 and 6S and both still sound perfect to this day however the earpiece speaker of my 8 is blown. Seems like that particular line of iPhones (8, SE2 and SE3) have poorly designed earpiece loudspeakers. The older phones don’t have earpiece speakers that can be used for surround sound so never seem to blow.

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
Exactly. my original SE sound is still better than my 2nd gen.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have a 13, 11 and a 6s backup. The 11 is a little slow but works fine for my business. The 13 is my personal and is as good as it gets performance wise for normal use. Mine is 1-1/2 years old and the battery is at 97% health. Awesome phone. Side note I have never owned a “new” iPhone. I have always bought the year before since my 3GS.

ZoieluvuseMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
USA
My advice is no... The performance of 13 is not very good... I have a friend who is using 13 and said that the screen will appear green at first.

• Haha
Reactions: Helmsley

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Personally, I'm considering nabbing an iPhone 13 for the pSIM slot.

Kinda regret missing out on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. I think it was like $200-300 on Walmart (straight discount with AT&T or Verizon installment plan).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.