Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Speakers crackling...almost sounds like you're playing Old School Mario during a Bowser stage where the lava explodes.
M1 Max 32GB 16" Macbook Pro

No issues with gf's 14" M1 Max 24-core.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Initially had this problem on my Intel 16", then it got fixed in one of the macOS updates, and now it's partially back again, like it happens in some situations but not as often as in the beginning.

• Sad
Reactions: skardvin

rodrigezlopez

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
Interesting. I, on the other hand, have a speaker issue as well, but mine is different. At lower volumes, 1-2 clicks of volume, when playing anything (on chrome, spotify, apple music, safari etc), it will make this weird hard-drive esc noise. Not sure how well you can pick it up in the video but its noticeable in a quiet room, and I've tried everything above, hopefully this and your issues are fixed.
View attachment 1904020
!!! Exactly the same with mine. I thought It is only me with that issue. I'm happy that I hardly listen to something at that volume so it does not bother me.
The good thing is that both speakers make this sound and since it is highly unlikely that both speakers are defective, to me it looks like some software problem.

Last edited:

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
Initially had this problem on my Intel 16", then it got fixed in one of the macOS updates, and now it's partially back again, like it happens in some situations but not as often as in the beginning.
Same. For me, the popping sound occurs in Firefox on my Intel 16".

rodrigezlopez

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
Does anybody have this issue on low volumes (that Jadedogsome mentioned, I've also described it below)?

Last edited:

rodrigezlopez

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
Interesting. I, on the other hand, have a speaker issue as well, but mine is different. At lower volumes, 1-2 clicks of volume, when playing anything (on chrome, spotify, apple music, safari etc), it will make this weird hard-drive esc noise. Not sure how well you can pick it up in the video but its noticeable in a quiet room, and I've tried everything above, hopefully this and your issues are fixed.
View attachment 1904020
I mean this issue. It happens when volume is low (1-2 clicks as Jadedogsome has said), maybe it's even required to set youtube video to 30-50% additionally. Usually i notice it when people talking on videos, "weird hard-drive esc noise" as Jadedogsome has described it. I'm just interesting is it common issue or problem of our macbooks?

Last edited:

Hiredgoon6

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
Apple technician has been reaching out to collect data whenever the issue occurs. Unfortunately, haven't been able to catch it during our calls. He did offer to transfer me to a manager who will replace the laptop. Good customer service though.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I noticed this last night when I was playing Cities: Skylines. I thought it was the game, but it was exactly what everyone is describing.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
I've had a MBP 2019 16" since mid-2021 running 11.6.1 and never had any problem until now. Then a couple days ago I started getting a crackling sound like the speaker was blown from one of the left speakers. Tried PRAM and SMC reset, changing Midi settings, nothing seems to fix it.

pwign

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017

Right now on my Intel 16" I am currently running macOS Monterey 12.1 latest beta and popping sounds are occurring in Firefox while playing Youtube videos.
It's been a few weeks since and I haven't noticed any pop after switching from Firefox to Safari. Thanks.

Reactions: skardvin

Jára Tyky

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
Can someone post me something to test if from this popping sound issue suffer my new M1 Pro?

TheRain

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
So when I watch shows on Hulu/Netflix/Showtime, the sound is crackling/distorted whenever bass ramps up. This only occurs on Safari. When I use Chrome, it doesn't happen. Not sure what could cause this. Very annoying

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've not had this issue in weeks, so not sure if something has been fixed in software?

birmexer

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
None yet with M1 Max. Just got it yesterday
I have an M1 Max and I'm experiencing this issue too. Especially at lower volumes, like 1 notch or 2 notches. At first I thought it was too do with the new speakers having more bass and I just had to 'get used to it' but I do think it's a fault/issue now. I think I'm going to return this MacBook Pro. Seems too many issues to forgive for nearly £4000!!!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've had a couple of pops but only when closing Blender (and I'm assuming that is related to some sort of audio device reset). During normal operation, and whilst playing media, I have had no issues.

macdaddy42

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
Speakers crackling...almost sounds like you're playing Old School Mario during a Bowser stage where the lava explodes.
M1 Max 32GB 16" Macbook Pro

No issues with gf's 14" M1 Max 24-core.
This is so spot on haha

I have the 14" macbook pro m1 and the crackling happens on close to any app or web page imaginable. It's getting worse and I have now actually experienced times where the crackling rolls over so fast that my mac freezes and restarts itself.

Reactions: Chazn

Elektronenhirn

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2018
Since 12.1 I have that problem watching Apple TV movies at fullscreen. Very annoying and at every volume level :(
M1 Pro 16"

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Ironically, I never had the speaker popping issue until I installed 12.1!

Also, certain notification sounds with certain apps (Outlook 365, Teams, Messages) sound very distorted, as if the speakers are blown. That kind of comes and goes too. It's very annoying.

If only Apple had the resources to put more manpower behind their OSs (and their own apps) to make sure they're fully baked on release day. :rolleyes:

This yearly 'new OS' release BS is not good for anyone.

By the time things settle and enough updates are released to make things as reasonably solid as they can be, a new release comes out that brakes something that worked perfectly fine before.

Last edited:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Do you guys have any audio enhancements apps installed? Like Boom3D etc? Since those can cause crackles from experience. Especially if you enable the sleep when audio is not used option thingy.

embotix

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
Ironically, I never had the speaker popping issue until I installed 12.1!

Same here.

Also, I've noticed it the most while and after playing Minecraft, and until I found this thread, I thought maybe it was specific to Minecraft (but I didn't install it until after upgrading to 12.1).

This is on a 16" MBP M1 Max.

Reactions: HeraFlight

HeraFlight

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
Gosh, this sounds bad. It seems like there’s always a major quality issue with apple’s ’pro’ devices. Hard to tell if hardware or software though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.