Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Some will be as always iPhone 16 only? 😂
Good!

I’m not ready for this yet. I used to love new technology. Sign me up for the latest beta, first edition, whatever.

I’m beginning to understand the Luddites as I get older.

Edit: maybe it’s just this weird arc that software development is on. I’m still excited about the hardware.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I wish Apple would improve Safari's performance with website animations (which are becoming more and more popular).
Any website that has animations on it works better on Firefox and Edge (speaking of macOS), including apple's own...

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
I wish Apple would improve Safari's performance with website animations (which are becoming more and more popular).
Any website that has animations on it works better on Firefox and Edge (speaking of macOS), including apple's own...
Yeah. Safari lags immensely on animation-heavy websites or even websites with a lot of graphics, whereas there are no issues in Firefox or Chromium-based browsers. I like Safari, but it's too slow for website content to make it my main browser. It's perfectly fine on iOS, though. I mainly use Brave on macOS. For me to go back to Safari, they need to drastically improve the page performance for graphically heavy websites. Safari for macOS is lightning fast on normal websites otherwise.

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
I have been thinking, and it doesn’t occur to me how could this work, or with what purpose.
It's (probably) for the "I've told you a thousand times Gmail, I'm not going to switch to Chrome" popups and StackOverflow "please please please accept more cookies" nagware and Reddit taking up 1/3 of the screen to demand I login via Google on every visit.

Wait... I see a pattern...

Reactions: amartinez1660

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
Yeah. Safari lags immensely on animation-heavy websites or even websites with a lot of graphics, whereas there are no issues in Firefox or Chromium-based browsers. I like Safari, but it's too slow for website content to make it my main browser. It's perfectly fine on iOS, though. I mainly use Brave on macOS. For me to go back to Safari, they need to drastically improve the page performance for graphically heavy websites. Safari for macOS is lightning fast on normal websites otherwise.
Safari lags and seems quite RAM hungry in recent years. It's what I prefer but is difficult at times to use. Have changed from using a dozen tabs to using bookmarks and the reading list. If I don't then RAM pressure remains in the yellow for extended periods of time.

There was a site we use at work with a Black Friday sale last year displaying a pointless, single threaded, animation changing the lightning on some rounded text... ran okay in Chrome at 90+% CPU usage while Safari and Firefox would go to 100% and rendered at multiple seconds-per-frame making it impossible to login.

• Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660

aapl owner

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Raleigh NC
How about they concentrate on making Safari much faster since it’s very slow compared to Firefox. I actually prefer safari but I moved away from it due to its long web page loading times and being a resource hog.

Reactions: Populus

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
This particular feature sounds really interesting and I genuinely want to see how this will be implemented. 👀
Nothing you can't already accomplish from altering the CSS with a browser addon like Stylus...

.annoying_ad { display: none; }

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
It sounds like what desktop ad blockers have already allowed for a long time: You select elements on a page that you want removed, and this will be remembered across page visits. The purpose is to remove annoying ads, overlays, and popups.
When Apple allows iOS to use the full (android) version of Firefox, you'll find a number of different add-ons like uBlock that allows you to do this. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not. But having the option is always great.

Reactions: gusmula

Dunkirk20

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
The webpage summarisation feature sounds good. In the future, a video summarisation feature would save even more time.

uptownjimmy

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019

Safari will gain a series of AI-powered features and UI enhancements in iOS 18, AppleInsider reports.

safari-icon-blue-banner.jpeg

Safari will apparently receive a range of visual tweaks alongside several new tools to improve the browsing experience, including:

• An "Intelligent Search" browser assistant tool that leverages Apple's on-device AI technology to identify key topics and phrases on webpages for summarization purposes.
  • A "Web Eraser" tool that allows users to remove unwanted portions of webpages easily. Erasure is persistent, remaining even when revisiting a site unless changes are reverted.
  • A new, quick-access menu emerging from the address bar that consolidates page tools, bringing over some functions that currently sit in the Share Sheet and placing them alongside the new tools.

The iPadOS and macOS versions of Safari are also expected to align further. These new features are purportedly undergoing evaluation alongside internal builds of iOS 18 and macOS 15 ahead of their unveiling at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) in June. Earlier this month, backend code on Apple's servers suggested that a new Safari browsing assistant is in the works, corroborating this report.

Farther in the future, Apple is said to be working on a more powerful version of Visual Look Up that allows users to obtain information on products when browsing through images. The feature is expected to be released sometime in 2025.

Last week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that iOS 18 will "overhaul" many of Apple's built-in apps, including Notes, Mail, Photos, and Fitness. Apple's next-generation operating systems are almost certain to be previewed during Apple's WWDC keynote on June 10, and the updates should be widely released in the fall.

Article Link: New AI Features Reportedly Coming to Safari in iOS 18
It is unclear from this article what any of these features have to do with "AI".

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
Nothing you can't already accomplish from altering the CSS with a browser addon like Stylus...

.annoying_ad { display: none; }
Don't forget to add !important and to make the CSS specific enough to apply the overrides.

CSS:
iframe#LetsNagTheCustomer.annoying_ad
{
display: none!important;
}

But of course this only affects blocking CSS-able items. Sometimes it's better to block the whole script which hopefully the system Apple is building would be capable of detecting and executing.

danbuter

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
So Safari will become Bing then? Ugh

What's next, they going to start putting ads into iOS and macOS under the guise of "AI" like what MSFT has been doing to W11?! 👎

I'd be shocked if Apple doesn't do this, unfortunately. I'm seriously considering jumping my main PC over to linux. Honestly, the only reason it still has W11 on it is for games.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
It's not a fad and it's not going anywhere. Everyone everywhere is behind AI right now, unlike 5G and Crypto. I believe we're stuck with this one.
The problem is that the word "AI" is meaningless. Is Eliza "AI"?

(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA )

Are simple "If/Then/ else" statements AI?

What about machine learning?

What about text prediction?

AI has lost all meaning and is just a buzzword.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Honestly, the "Web Eraser" thing sounds good, but only if it can erase stories about Elon Musk from any news site I visit; and, specifically for the Guardian, I don't want to see any stories written by Adrian Chiles.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co

Safari will gain a series of AI-powered features and UI enhancements in iOS 18, AppleInsider reports.

safari-icon-blue-banner.jpeg

Safari will apparently receive a range of visual tweaks alongside several new tools to improve the browsing experience, including:

• An "Intelligent Search" browser assistant tool that leverages Apple's on-device AI technology to identify key topics and phrases on webpages for summarization purposes.
  • A "Web Eraser" tool that allows users to remove unwanted portions of webpages easily. Erasure is persistent, remaining even when revisiting a site unless changes are reverted.
  • A new, quick-access menu emerging from the address bar that consolidates page tools, bringing over some functions that currently sit in the Share Sheet and placing them alongside the new tools.

The iPadOS and macOS versions of Safari are also expected to align further. These new features are purportedly undergoing evaluation alongside internal builds of iOS 18 and macOS 15 ahead of their unveiling at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) in June. Earlier this month, backend code on Apple's servers suggested that a new Safari browsing assistant is in the works, corroborating this report.

Farther in the future, Apple is said to be working on a more powerful version of Visual Look Up that allows users to obtain information on products when browsing through images. The feature is expected to be released sometime in 2025.

Last week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that iOS 18 will "overhaul" many of Apple's built-in apps, including Notes, Mail, Photos, and Fitness. Apple's next-generation operating systems are almost certain to be previewed during Apple's WWDC keynote on June 10, and the updates should be widely released in the fall.

Article Link: New AI Features Reportedly Coming to Safari in iOS 18
What I’d really like is some way to access my personal Safari profile from my employer’s macbook, which is logged in under a separate “work” Apple id.

Also Safari for Windows!

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Does Arc have and iOS app? I haven’t checked for a while, but I thought that it didn’t have one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.