Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2fx1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Hi

I've setup a new (Refurbished) iMac for my wife but have setup the first user for myself using my Apple ID (I've yet to set up her user so only the one user on it so far) but I only see offers for a 7 day trial of Apple TV.
Neither of us have ever signed up for Apple TV before on any device, we have never even got into the app at all.

I've checked in the TV app on the Mac and have tried other suggestions on MacRumors Forums such as logging into the Apple TV web page at: https://tv.apple.com/settings but they didn't work.

I didn't actually buy the Mac myself, it's my wife's, so my Apple ID wasn't used for the actual purchase. Possibly that's the problem?
I was assuming that Apple would know it's a new device and the user hasn't availed of Apple TV offer yet and therefore offer the extended free trial?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
For a refurbished device to qualify, it must be purchased thru Apple. If it was a refurbish purchased through Apple, then the person's AppleID who purchased the device should qualify it. You would also have to redeem it within 90 days of purchase.

Who did you buy the refurb from?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you end up not being eligible for anything more than the 7-day trial, you could always redeem the 4-month free trial via the Target app.

You might need to set-up a Target account, but if you click on the "My Target" tab at the bottom, there should be a selection listed as "New Offers: free Apple trials".

I can confirm that this works and it "stacks" ... sort of. I originally redeemed a 1 year free trial that expired this past summer. I waited a couple of months and used the 4-month Target offer and it worked fine. I'm good until mid-December.

I think at that point, I'll see if the offer on my wife's Target app will let us get another 4 months, but if it doesn't I might just go month-to-month.

Offer expires Jun 17 2022.

DFB7660F-75A8-46ED-B2CB-7A74B8D01FAA.png

Last edited:

2fx1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
For a refurbished device to qualify, it must be purchased thru Apple. If it was a refurbish purchased through Apple, then the person's AppleID who purchased the device should qualify it. You would also have to redeem it within 90 days of purchase.

Who did you buy the refurb from?
Thanks for the reply smiles, sorry for the late reply. I bought it directly from apple.com.
I've been onto Apple support since as I also bought AppleCare and they said that if I upgrade to the latest OS Monterey it will definitely work. I'm not convinced and it seems a little like a cop out answer. I'm generally not comfortable with going with a new OS so quickly after release so I'm going to hold off for a while and wait for maybe version 12.2 or 3.

Thanks very much

2fx1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
If you end up not being eligible for anything more than the 7-day trial, you could always redeem the 4-month free trial via the Target app.

You might need to set-up a Target account, but if you click on the "My Target" tab at the bottom, there should be a selection listed as "New Offers: free Apple trials".

I can confirm that this works and it "stacks" ... sort of. I originally redeemed a 1 year free trial that expired this past summer. I waited a couple of months and used the 4-month Target offer and it worked fine. I'm good until mid-December.

I think at that point, I'll see if the offer on my wife's Target app will let us get another 4 months, but if it doesn't I might just go month-to-month.

Offer expires Jun 17 2022.

View attachment 1901880
Hi, I've no idea what the Target app is. Is it a US thing? I'm in Europe.

Thanks very much for the suggestion

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks for the reply smiles, sorry for the late reply. I bought it directly from apple.com.
I've been onto Apple support since as I also bought AppleCare and they said that if I upgrade to the latest OS Monterey it will definitely work. I'm not convinced and it seems a little like a cop out answer. I'm generally not comfortable with going with a new OS so quickly after release so I'm going to hold off for a while and wait for maybe version 12.2 or 3.

Thanks very much
My free trial was because I purchased a new AppleTV. So it was just available as soon as I booted up the device. I can't say how the process would have gone on the computer as I don't have the Apple TV app on it.

Look up the devices under your Apple ID and you wife's. It could be something as simple as the ID the computer was sold under isn't the ID under which the device is currently registered to. Or perhaps the App itself is signed in under a different Apple ID than the one that is associated with the device. Make sure the app is set up under her ID.

In reality, the OS that shipped with the device should be enough. The trial existed before Monterey. Upgrading it essentially resets the permissions et al because it's like a new install for the most part. In which case you get to go through all the initial login hoops again. I would think the same effect could be achieved by doing a factory reset of the machine you already have. You get to reset all those parameters all over again.

Whoever the machine is tied to needs to be the one to set up the device I would suspect. So that the AppleIDs match. Otherwise you are just a user on said machine from Apple's perspective. Perhaps Family Sharing may be the ticket?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Go to this page: https://www.apple.com/promo/ and in the bottom right corner tap on United States, which will bring up the option to select your region/country (or maybe it will open for your country automatically). Once you do that, you'll see the current Apple promos. Note for each promo described, there's a link for the terms and conditions. Maybe that will help clear up for your country what the current promo is and whether you're eligible under the terms and conditions.

The current Apple TV+ promo in the US is three months.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hi, I've no idea what the Target app is. Is it a US thing? I'm in Europe.

Thanks very much for the suggestion
My bad. I know I shouldn’t have assumed you were in the US. But Target is a major retailer in the US and they have an app that you can use to shop and check inventory and things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.