Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iPad Pro and iPad Air will begin arriving to customers over the next 24 hours. It appears that the initial batch of the devices will have a special build of iPadOS 17.4 preinstalled, but an iPadOS 17.5 software update will be available in the Settings app right away, according to MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris.

M4-iPad-Pro-and-Air-Feature.jpg

iPadOS 17.5 has a special build number of 21F84 on the new iPads, and modified release notes that mention improved document scanning:
Apple News+
• Offline mode in Apple News+ gives you access to the Today feed and News+ tab, even when you don't have an internet connection
• Quartiles is a new and original daily word game that is now available in Apple News+
• Scoreboard in News+ Puzzles gives you access to new player data for Crossword, Mini Crossword and Quartiles, including stats and streaks

Tracking Notifications
• Cross-Platform Tracking Detection delivers notifications to users if a compatible Bluetooth tracker they do not own is moving with them, regardless of what operating system the device is paired with

Document Scanning
• Document scanning is improved on the new iPad Air and iPad Pro
The new iPad Pro models with the M4 chip are equipped with "adaptive True Tone flash" for improved document scanning. It is unclear if the feature requires iPadOS 17.5, or if the update simply further optimizes the functionality.

iPad-Pro-Improved-Document-Scanning.jpg

With adaptive True Tone flash and AI, the new iPad Pro can eliminate shadows on scanned documents, as Apple explained in a press release:
It also now features a new adaptive True Tone flash that makes document scanning on the new iPad Pro better than ever. Using AI, the new iPad Pro automatically identifies documents right in the Camera app, and if a shadow is in the way, it instantly takes multiple photos with the new adaptive flash, stitching the scan together for a dramatically better scan.
Improved document scanning will be available in the Camera, Files, and Notes apps, and third-party apps will be able to offer the feature too.

The new iPad Air does not have adaptive True Tone flash, so it is unclear how document scanning is improved on those models, as Apple indicates.

iPadOS 17.5 was already released on Monday for all other iPads, with a build number of 21F79 and no mention of improved document scanning.

Article Link: New iPad Pro and iPad Air Will Have Day-One Software Update With These Release Notes

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Ahhh, this was the code that Gurman said wasn’t ready and would be shipping at the end of March, early April? :D

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
Document scanning in Notes is one of the best & most under-appreciated iOS features.
Eh. Document Scanning itself is great. Document Scanning in Notes is the clunkiest most confusing thing on the entire OS. Most people are just trying to get a JPG or a PDF to send somewhere. But its part of a note, and really unclear how to share just the document, and then scanning itself is really unclear when it comes to multi page document vs multiple documents. It's a real mess that needs to be simplified. I wish the camera app had scanning built in and AI document detection, because no one ever opens Notes to do this. I always see people just open the camera and start taking a picture of a document ...perfect moment for AI to step in handle it like a scan instead of a photo.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Document scanning is improved on the new iPad Air and iPad Pro
Document scanning is such an underrated feature on iOS devices, and the fact that it's getting BETTER is genuinely awesome news, I think. :D

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I found this example here a bit disappointing, because it didn’t remove the glare on the left side of the right page:

I’m going to stick with a dedicated document scanner.

Reactions: waltman

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
This is why I stopped auto-update on my existing ipad. Otherwise, migrating via a Mac requires updating the ipad first, then wiping, then migrating - somewhat painful.

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
This is useful in a pinch, but it's no match for a dedicated hardware scanner even with the TT flash. Nice to have the functionality though.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I found this example here a bit disappointing, because it didn’t remove the glare on the left side of the right page:

I’m going to stick with a dedicated document scanner.
The glare is because that's a glossy magazine. If you want to light a glossy page, you'll need to light from the side. This usually isn't an issue with regular letter paper.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The glare is because that's a glossy magazine. If you want to light a glossy page, you'll need to light from the side. This usually isn't an issue with regular letter paper.
I know what it is, and it’s an issue even with regular flat paper when the light source is near (to have better lighting), because the black ink reflects the light source into the camera along some angle. It’s also a problem when scanning book pages that don’t lie flat.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I’m picking mine up tomorrow 13” pro standard glass. I notice the nano texture ship dates have slipped to late June/early July.
I didn't pre-order because I want to use gift cards and financing, and apparently that can't be done via the app or website; I hope they have the 11" pro in store tomorrow. I'm getting the 256 because I still had plenty of room on my 2017 128 iPad Pro.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I know what it is, and it’s an issue even with regular flat paper when the light source is near (to have better lighting), because the black ink reflects the light source into the camera along some angle. It’s also a problem when scanning book pages that don’t lie flat.
Yeah shiny ink can be a problem. And yeah if you're doing books, almost certainly a flatbed where you can push the page down would be best. Scanning via camera still has its limits.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Still, I assume this ends up being simply a photo? And therefore we should ba able to share easily with Andriod /Win/ businesses with any trouble (& not like say 'live' photos whcih always will not send to Android users). If not, well there' always the EU eh?

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
The word AI seems to get thrown around all the time now. Isn’t this just software? What makes it AI?
They kind of have to do it, though. Everyone else is doing it, so Apple don’t want to look like they’re ignoring it.

Previously, I feel they would have called it a “smart feature” or “like magic” or “automatically does XYZ”.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
This is why I stopped auto-update on my existing ipad. Otherwise, migrating via a Mac requires updating the ipad first, then wiping, then migrating - somewhat painful.
I had a similar experience with my iPad 10. Tried to migrate from another iPad and it just wouldn’t work - seemingly because of the day one update. I ended up not migrating anything…

kamilstudios

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
Eh. Document Scanning itself is great. Document Scanning in Notes is the clunkiest most confusing thing on the entire OS. Most people are just trying to get a JPG or a PDF to send somewhere. But its part of a note, and really unclear how to share just the document, and then scanning itself is really unclear when it comes to multi page document vs multiple documents. It's a real mess that needs to be simplified. I wish the camera app had scanning built in and AI document detection, because no one ever opens Notes to do this. I always see people just open the camera and start taking a picture of a document ...perfect moment for AI to step in handle it like a scan instead of a photo.
I always use the document scanning in the Files app instead. Works simpler than Notes, and will create PDF file upon save with all the scanned pages in one file, and it saves directly to Files app, ready to be shared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.