Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube channel Phone Repair Guru has shared a teardown video for the new 13-inch iPad Pro with the M4 chip, providing a first look at the device's internal design changes.

2024-iPad-Pro-Teardown.jpg
Phone Repair Guru tears down the new iPad Pro

During its iPad event last week, Apple said it was able to improve the thermal performance of the new iPad Pro models by nearly 20% compared to the previous-generation models by adding graphite sheets to the chassis and infusing the rear Apple logo with copper. These changes can be seen towards the end of the teardown video.

Apple moved the front camera and Face ID components to the iPad Pro's right-side edge, which is where the new Apple Pencil Pro magnetically attaches to the device. The teardown shows some changes to the array of magnets inside the iPad Pro.

Overall, the new iPad Pro has a similar internal design as the previous generation. The video provides a look at the central logic board with the M4 chip, a 10,209 mAh battery with adhesive pull tabs, quad speakers, and more.

Repair website iFixit will likely share a more in-depth teardown of the new iPad Pro soon.

The new iPad Pro launched in stores and began arriving to customers on Wednesday. In addition to the M4 chip and the relocated front camera, key new features include a brighter OLED display and thinner design compared to the previous generation. For more details about the device, read our recap of Apple's event from last week.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Teardown Reveals Internal Design Changes, Including Apple Logo With Copper

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I posted some pertinent screen grabs in my thread in the iPad forum:

Reactions: Burnincoco

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Detail NOBODY ASKED FOR OR CARED ABOUT.

Literally every artist wants barrel rotation.

Meanwhile, the battery is still glued, the display is still glued.

The only attention to detail I want is more attention to repairability.

Oh, and FIX THE HORRIBLE OS.

The problem appears to be you not the OS. Sorry, but complaining about the most efficient and powerful tablet OS in the world when you don’t understand the need for barrel rotation either is really peak.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
As is this lack of attention to detail: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-nobody-ever-mentions-wobble-lines-on-ipad-pro.2426674/

Apple’s attention to detail is quite selective.

Zero information on what they're using for software, since apps need to be updated to support the new Pencil. You've essentially linked a bait post.
Literally NO ONE asked for this garbage. Why don’t they spend the efforts on improving iPadOS instead?

...this is an OS improvement, and a ton of artists appreciate it.

Batteries have pull tabs.

Don't come in here with facts now! 😄

Literally every artist wants barrel rotation.

The problem appears to be you not the OS. Sorry, but complaining about the most efficient and powerful tablet OS in the world when you don’t understand the need for barrel rotation either is really peak.

They very likely don't even own an iPad. Judging from the Apple IIgs in their profile pic, it's just someone who should have switched to a ThinkPad with Linux years ago (or a Framework laptop), but they insist on yelling at Apple instead of choosing to be happy.

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Why don’t they spend the efforts on improving iPadOS instead?

As a CS software engineer, nobody wants an EE or ME putting their efforts into software. Sure, many of them may think they're the smartest people in the room. Sadly for them, narcissism doesn't deliver good software design or implementation.

Let the EEs and MEs do their thing, I'll do mine, and then we'll all have a better experience and a better product.

SectualChocolet

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
...this is an OS improvement, and a ton of artists appreciate it.
appreciate what exactly? How is this shadow going to improve anything artistically? It's almost as if the M4 is too powerful and there's nothing else iPadOS team could improve on so why not make some shadows and flex. This is absolutely garbage because no one asked for it and there are literally so many improvements needed to iPadOS instead of applying their resources to create these shadow effects no one cares about. Apple fans love to defend and deflect it seems.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Why was that better than iFixit? I mean, aside from the fact that it was all one video and not “come back for part two of our teardown!”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.