Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmus12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
Love the aluminium keys and haptic feedback with a good clamp.
However the hinge being lifted in the air and being shorter is a huge flaw, as it puts ipad completly out of balance?
It make it 5x more possible to tip over previous magic keyboard, not to mention when u touch the screen on a desk it wobbles!

It fall twice from my couch, older model did not do it!!

1 step forward, 2 step back for me :(

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I have the 13 M4 iPP and Magic Keyboard. Mine is rock solid. That bottom rear hinge which is more square shaped than rounded like the previous MKB, I have the 2020 version, sits flat on the surface, lap desk, that I use it on. Also the heavier, larger base, some kind of aluminum, combined with the lighter weight of the ipad itself, appears to make it even more stable than my 2020. A significant improvement although I had no issues with the 2020 and had hoped to be able to use it with the new M4.

Reactions: deruch

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I felt it was less stable when I visited the Apple Store today. On the 13” variant the screen wobbled quite a a bit when touched. The new 11” version (which I own l) seems more grounded, maybe because of its smaller footprint

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I felt it was less stable when I visited the Apple Store today. On the 13” variant the screen wobbled quite a a bit when touched. The new 11” version (which I own l) seems more grounded, maybe because of its smaller footprint
I can make mine rock back a bit if I go vigorously tapping on the upper part of the screen. Which I don’t normally do, and many others use the trackpad and keys for most functions. The reason there is some additional rocking possible, if you go looking for it, is that the previous version has the exterior material wrapping around the hinge which is itself shorter in the new version. That material wrapping around the hinge provided additional support. But many complained here that the wrapping frayed badly overtime. I did not have that happen on my 2020 MKB. The one complaint I have is that, with the shortened hinge, it is more difficult to detach the charging cable from the port on the hinge. I wind up having to pull on the cable itself instead of the connector. I assume that to achieve a lighter weight overall that some compromises had to be made. But as far as stability overall in my uses, other than when sitting on the toilet:), mine is very stable.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That was exactly my experience at the store today. 13" 2024 wobbly, 11" 2024 noticeably better, but old 13" best:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
For those who have or are concerned about this wobble there is a cheap easy way to compensate for it, I believe. Until I came across these threads I was not aware of this possibility. It does depend on the surface you’re using it on, and in my specific use I have a lap desk that is tilted just slightly towards me, or it’s resting on my lap, or on a pillow on my lap, which all tilt the MKB just a bit towards me so I never noticed this. Also I never go banging my fingers on the upper portion of the screen since light touches are all that’s required; most of the time when I touch the screen I use a stylus or the pencil. Others use the trackpad. Either way there just isn’t going to be much of a wobble.

For any that also had the previous MKB you’ll see how the exterior material wraps over the bottom hinge adding additional support in back. Without that material the hinge would be slightly elevated over any surface as the hinge in the new MKB is. So for those concerned you could purchase a couple of small rubber adhesive bumpers to stick on the bottom of the hinge which would take up that gap when the the MKB is unfolded. That should prevent most if not all of the wobble. I did notice when taking a very close look at my old MKB that the material that wraps over the hinge had a couple very tiny areas on the ends that had frayed. I remember seeing threads here in the past from those complaining about this. As I’ve had that MKB for 4+ years I‘ve not been bothered by it. Apple has avoided that potential issue by having a bare hinge.

There is also a very expensive way of dealing with the wobble. A number of people here in the past had referred to a leather case for the MKB by Pad & Quill, now called Burton cases. The exterior leather forms that additional support that‘s missing from the bare hinge, it also would negate the need for any skins on the exterior but it ain’t cheap.

• Love
Reactions: jazz1

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Tried one, found it extremely heavy and had it fall off my iPad several,times while carrying/holding it open. Sent it back today. Hope some lighter option comes along soon.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Were you talking to me?

It fell off multiple time holding the case open. Took next to no pressure in what is apparently the wrong spot to release the magnets. Not encouraging and I don’t care for how heavy it makes my iPad feel. My weight expectations may be unrealistic but the combination seems too heavy to me.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
on my 11, the magnets are really strong and engage positively - no way is the iPad falling out of it even while open, unless perhaps I hold just the tablet and give it a good shake.

Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
on my 11, the magnets are really strong and engage positively - no way is the iPad falling out of it even while open, unless perhaps I hold just the tablet and give it a good shake.
On my 13 iPP the magnets are very strong. But when I pick up the combo I don’t just pull on the ipad, I have my fingers on the back of the upper MKB stand and my thumb on the ipad. I’ve never had it detach and even if I only have my fingers on the ipad itself, not touching any part of the MKB it never detaches. I would have to shake it while lifting it that way for it to detach. That‘s an issue of searching for a problem that you can make happen if you work at it. Kinda like banging on the upper part of the ipad screen to make the combo rock backwards. Yeah I can make that happen if I want to but why would I?

Reactions: marmiteturkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.