Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elmnoise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2022
I'm not expecting any fixes from the forum, but putting this out in case others experience the issue. I took several photos yesterday throughout the day. At dinner, six photos in a row did not save. I noticed after the second attempt that it wasn't saving. I showed my wife and tried a few more. Each time, the shutter animation would occur but the photo didn't save to Photos. It didn't even show up in the little preview window at the bottom left. After the 6th photo everything started saving correctly. I would have never noticed this issue if I didn't try to show my daughter the photo I had supposedly just taken of her. Maybe software (likely), maybe hardware, but I've never seen this happen before. Data loss is a big concern, but photo data loss just can't happen. Photos are the only reason I continue to upgrade my iPhone.

iOS 17.0.2
iPhone 15 Pro Max
Shared Photos Library (I checked personal and shared to be sure)

pietpompies

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
Hey, I just wanted to share that I experienced the exact same issue with my iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.1.1. I took a series of photos, and like you, I noticed a couple of consecutive shots didn't save. It's quite concerning, especially considering the importance of photos and capturing them in the moment. I didn't realize it until after the moment has passed.

I hope this gets attention and a fix soon. It's frustrating when unexpected issues like this arise, and as you mentioned, photos are a significant part of why I invest in the latest iPhone models.

subteran

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
Hello,

Problem is still not fixed. It just happend to me right now.

iOS 17.2.1

iPhone 15 Pro Max.

i hope they will fix this asap :( this is bad !

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I’ve experienced this problem on my 15 Pro Max too. The Photos app has serious issues.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I just experienced this with my 15PM on iOS 17.2.1 today. Unfortunately I only noticed once I was back home when the picture was missing. So weird.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Happens to both mine and my wife's 15PM also. Happened this weekend. I missed a few shots of my wife's birthday party that didn't save at all.

mart60

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2024
I thought I had this problem but it turned out I was viewing Shared Libraries only, I needed to change it (... top right) to view both libraries

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I'm having similar issues sporadically on my 14PM running 17.4.1

Frustratingly I'm on holiday at the moment and realised a whole raft of memories with the kids didn't save despite it definitely taking - some of which I even tried to send as an iMessage but my iPhone froze/crashed which I just assumed was due to hotel wifi... but suspect now I've lost all the photos :(

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
Just had the same happen on an iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.4.1. Took some photos a few hours ago, now totally gone.

I had hundreds of GBs free, no way it "couldn't save" them. The photos were selectable in Telegram for uploading, but never actually uploaded.

Restarted my phone and POOF, all those photos were deleted!

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
This bug been reported many times; virtually all reports are from iOS 17 users. What on Earth is going on? One of the most disturbing bug I've ever experienced on iOS: corrupted / deleted photos within hours is very problematic.

From reddit:

February 12, 2024
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/1apdktl (13 Pro, 14, 15 Pro Max)

March 6, 2024
https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/1b8hrke (14 Pro Max)

Jan 8, 2024
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphonehelp/comments/191vjrx (14)

//

As it affects as old as iPhone 12 and as new as iPhone 15, I suspect it isn't hardware alone and it is something wrong within iOS 17.

And to have happened on iOS 17.4.1 (as of 5 April 2024, the latest update) means Apple hasn't fixed this for 6+ months.

Damn, I wish I had those photos back. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.