Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next iPad Air will use an M3 processor, according to details posted on X earlier today by a private account with a proven track record of sharing accurate information about Apple's plans.

M2-iPad-Air-Hero-Feature-Purple.jpg

Apple just last week announced its latest iPad Air models powered by the company's M2 chip. The two new 11-inch and 13-inch models replaced the previous M1-powered 10.9-inch iPad Air, which was released in 2022. Apple also just announced new M4 iPad Pro models that were until recently expected to feature the M3 chip.

Combined with Apple's surprise debut of the M4, today's rumor suggests that Apple plans to keep the iPad Air one step behind the iPad Pro in terms of processor generations. Given the recent announcements, it's very early to speculate on a future generation of iPad Air, but rumors have suggested that Apple plans to introduce a 10.8-inch OLED iPad Air, and that the tablet could come out between 2026 and 2028.

The new iPad Air is nearly 50% faster than the previous iPad Air with M1, according to Apple. Compared to iPad Air with A14 Bionic, it provides 3x faster performance. Like the previous model, the iPad Air starts at $599, while the 13-inch device starts at $799, and both sizes are available from Wednesday, May 15.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad Air With M3 Chip Already Rumored

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
This will 100% not happen
Apple wants to ditch N3B as soon as possible
Air will probably get M4 when the pro will get M5
Agreed. I see them still making M1 and/or M2 processors well beyond the point of stopping production of the M3 series. Once all the M4 variants are released, I don't think the M3 will have either a cost or a performance advantage (which isn't to say the M3 isn't an awesome chip...because it is). Meanwhile, I imagine those M1/M2 chips will continue to lower in cost (due to recovered upfront costs) while the new M4/M5 variants get relatively more expensive, driving future margins and (hopefully) more advanced software capabilities.

And the M1 is still darn fast for the vast majority of users/applications.

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
as others said, and for the reasons said, it seems unlikely - unless they find themselves sitting on a huge pile of them that they need to shift. and given one of the problems with the M3 generation was low yields, that too seems unlikely - but maybe if they're bringing forward plans to get all the low-end Macs onto M4 ASAP, the M3s that were slated for them might be looking for new homes...?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
So which iPad should I buy? The mini? An old iPad on a good discount or the latest one? What size? Oh wait, which pen will it be compatible with? How about an iPad Pro or better an maxed out Air? Man, Apples iPad lineup is more complicated that the Roomba lineup! :p

• Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

Turfschipper

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
Only thing why this could be true is cause apple wants a bigger gap in between air and pro ipad. But i think m3 is already EOL.

Reactions: KeithBN

DaniTheFox

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Agreed. I see them still making M1 and/or M2 processors well beyond the point of stopping production of the M3 series. Once all the M4 variants are released, I don't think the M3 will have either a cost or a performance advantage (which isn't to say the M3 isn't an awesome chip...because it is). Meanwhile, I imagine those M1/M2 chips will continue to lower in cost (due to recovered upfront costs) while the new M4/M5 variants get relatively more expensive, driving future margins and (hopefully) more advanced software capabilities.

And the M1 is still darn fast for the vast majority of users/applications.
I think so too. The M1/M2 in a lot of devices. Whoever it fits with the bigger dimensions. iPad mini? Apple TV?

idkwhat

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
What I want to know is when will base iPad 11th come out so that the price will drop further on the 10th gen ones.

magicvash

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Won’t happen. They’re going to transition away from the first gen 3nm process asap and the iPad Air will get M4 when the iPad Pro gets the M5 or M6 in 2025-2026

Reactions: NetMage

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
With M4 being the first gen to push forward with AI features rumored to be announced at WWDC24, I'm really surprised at this. I would think they would at least go to M4 by the M5 or M6 era just for that.

Combine that with N3B winding down, I don't think this will happen. I think we'll have an M4 iPad Air when we have M5 and possibly even just releasing M6 products.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This will 100% not happen
Apple wants to ditch N3B as soon as possible
Air will probably get M4 when the pro will get M5
Yep, I just came here to say that. You were faster pal!

I’m already interested in the M4 iPad Air, as long as it keeps using the LCD technology for the display, because the new iPad Pro seems to have PWM (saw it on some hands-on videos). By then, I guess all M4 will be the unbinned version. I only wish they give the option to get more RAM.

It would also be nice to have a higher refresh rate display on the Air.

endemize

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2022
So which iPad should I buy? The mini? An old iPad on a good discount or the latest one? What size? Oh wait, which pen will it be compatible with? How about an iPad Pro or better an maxed out Air? Man, Apples iPad lineup is more complicated that the Roomba lineup! :p
If you have that hard of a time picking then the lowest entry model is for you. The higher tiers are for people that know what they need.

Reactions: NetMage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.