Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I am 💯 satisfied with my mini, however, I wish it had Face ID because my skin is very dry rendering touch login unusable.

While I think the bezel may be wide enough to fit it in there, I'd be much less interested in Face ID if it required adopting either the notch or the island myself. Fit it in the bezel? OK. Else... I'd rather buy you hand moisturizer. ;)

For me, I'm quite happy with touchid in the on/off button. Works every time and avoids the dreaded notch/island.

• Love
Reactions: MiniApple

thejoshuabradshaw

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
I just really do not understand why this one is so hard for them to keep a production cycle on. It's really everything an iPad is suppose to be fun, entertaining, and extremely useful for travel, work, general portability. The current lineup is bonkers thinking I will pay the same cost of a MBA and get a substandard IOS to go with it. Artist I get the iPads, everyone else I just cannot find a reason to buy one other than the mini now. Just boggling.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I don’t disagree. But keep that device to institutional only.
I like that idea, very eMac ~2004. But I suspect Apple would want to be at (or below) the $499 psychological price point on the entry-level 128GB iPad Air before considering that.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Fall makes sense as it will likely be based on a new A series chip, so it will be released after the chip is announced with the new iPhones or slightly after (probably a non-pro A17 or A18). The multi-year gap between refreshes makes less sense, but it is a "mini" so not all too surprising.

Reactions: Realityck

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I just really do not understand why this one is so hard for them to keep a production cycle on. It's really everything an iPad is suppose to be fun, entertaining, and extremely useful for travel, work, general portability. The current lineup is bonkers thinking I will pay the same cost of a MBA and get a substandard IOS to go with it. Artist I get the iPads, everyone else I just cannot find a reason to buy one other than the mini now. Just boggling.
It appears that Apple is more inclined to seek higher revenues than fun products. There is also confusion with the naming of iPad Airs that are heavier and thicker then the new iPad Pro models. I do wonder how much the M4 iPad Pro 11" will tempt people, but its a lot more then an updated "fun" iPad mini would be. :)
Fall makes sense as it will likely be based on a new A series chip, so it will be released after the chip is announced with the new iPhones or slightly after (probably a non-pro A17 or A18). The multi-year gap between refreshes makes less sense, but it is a "mini" so not all too surprising.
Thats an excellent observation that the iPad mini is likely to continue using a A17 or A18 by the time the iPhone 16 arrives. A A16 would be too old, possibly it could be M2 based as the Mac Book Air if a suitable A series is not cost effective because of iPhone demand. But that also factor with the A15 based ATV4K where it also using a A15 as the current iPad mini 6.

Reactions: paradox00

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I hope they will not do the same mistake, they did with the "thinner and lighter" MacBok Pro with the Touch Bar.
Back then, their "Pro" Macs get lighter and thinner, but with it came problems with cooling, battery life and power itself.

So I think the actual Mac Lineup is pretty solid in terms of "Pro" and "Air".

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I hope they will not do the same mistake, they did with the "thinner and lighter" MacBok Pro with the Touch Bar.
Back then, their "Pro" Macs get lighter and thinner, but with it came problems with cooling, battery life and power itself.

So I think the actual Mac Lineup is pretty solid in terms of "Pro" and "Air".
If Apple wants to do that then they can apply that to the fan-less MBA models. MBP's have more ports and significantly more capable processors that need heat dissipation unlike the iPad Pros where weight vs battery capacity is a concern. :cool:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I said “CONSUMER” product, not “Pro” products.

Although iPhones during first few years are exception but afterwards, no consumer products, just pro products aimed at professionals.

Well if you want to choose to ignore the facts. Then your argument fits.

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
picked up today a new 256GB unit in Pink for 540€ with Apple polishing cloth included ... hope it will last many years at home

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I'm with you. Last hop was from Mini 2 to Mini 6. Next hop is likely to Mini 9 or 10 unless something incredible rolls out before then. iPads tend to have much longer "legs" than iPhone. And curiously enough, both 2 and 6 are cellular models so I have my Mini standing in for iPhone too (buds + VOIP app)... so no iPhone at all. Fully good enough for my mobile telephony & texting needs and- IMO- ALL other apps are better on the bigger screen.

That said, the wait for 9 or 10 would be easily sped up for the hypothetical Mini PRO. I do envy those PRO MAX cameras.

The best would be to have to iPad Lines, basically along the lines of iPhone and MacBook: an entry-level lines that is light yet still powerful and a «pro» line that costs quite a a bit more but delivers on the newest and latest tech that will trickle down to the consumer line a year or so later. I could do without the absurd «Air» moniker now that the «Pro» is the thinner and lighter model. Basically it would be iPad / iPad Pro, MacBook / MacBook Pro and so on, from AW to the Desktop Clients (you can do that with Studio «Mac» and «MacPro» = Studio with more features (but please keep the Ultra on the Studio ;-)).

That would finally mean, that the small form factor of the Mini does not equal yesterday's tech but feature paritiy, as far as possible, with the 11 and 13. Just imagine that thin OLED form factor in 6"....
But "Air" could also signify 'light on features' compared to the Pro! 😆
So it still applies to the larger sized iPad 'Air' models.
As to the mini, it's too small for me to want to browse the web on it, but I could see it as an ereader if it had better/longer battery life and a better screen (just because they are charging a premium for it, it really should have a better display). If not OLED, then mini-LED.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Now that the iPad Pro is lighter than the Air, what's the point of the Air? No mention of iPad mini yet in this recent interview. But why talk up distractions from their new iPad products?

I think the entire reason for the Air is so that Apple can have three price-points in their iPad lineup: inexpensive (standard iPad), middling (Air), and expensive (Pro). The Mini fits into the 'middling' Air category based on it's feature-set (though I do think it's overpriced for what it is and the quality of the display).

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Makes sense. A16 isn’t a big enough jump and A17 (and really anything built on N3B) is going to be retired in favour of more cost effective chips built on N3E, so they wouldn’t want to drop the A17 Pro into anything they still plan to be selling longer term, and they’ll want to be able to sell a new Mini 7 for around 3 years before its next update. I suspect it will get a (version of) the A18 and will be released at the same time as the iPhone 16 series, or a few weeks later (October with availability in time for holiday shopping). Aside from the CPU bump other likely changes are a landscape front camera, support for Apple Pencil Pro. Slight chance it will get a rotated display-controller to better hide the jelly scrolling effect. I can’t see many other changes aside from new colors.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Hopefully it will be launched in 2024 and not be pushed to March/April 2025

livmatus

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
Makes sense. A16 isn’t a big enough jump and A17 (and really anything built on N3B) is going to be retired in favour of more cost effective chips built on N3E, so they wouldn’t want to drop the A17 Pro into anything they still plan to be selling longer term, and they’ll want to be able to sell a new Mini 7 for around 3 years before its next update. I suspect it will get a (version of) the A18 and will be released at the same time as the iPhone 16 series, or a few weeks later (October with availability in time for holiday shopping). Aside from the CPU bump other likely changes are a landscape front camera, support for Apple Pencil Pro. Slight chance it will get a rotated display-controller to better hide the jelly scrolling effect. I can’t see many other changes aside from new colors.
this + 128GB base storage treatment like the Air

Reactions: bodonnell202

BigRAM

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Here‘s a good opportunity for apple to offer an Ipad mini and Ipad mini pro. I’d love MagSafe on the iPad mini. I’m downsizing from 12.9 m1 pro - Really looking forward to the smaller form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.