Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Taking the architecture into consideration I’m not sure how well more gpu cores could be fed by the same amount of performance cores.

Like, an 8 cpu core m1 that can’t feed a 64-gpu core would be pointless.
But is this the case though? Games rarely use 8 CPU cores (at least on PC), yet it's not like swapping e.g. a 3070 for a 3090 has no effect. At higher resolutions especially, everything becomes GPU bound.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Entry price, US$3.5k - US$4k, and US$5k would be unsurprising. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I can't picture the whole computer being comparable in price to a high, but not top-end Nvidia RTX/gaming GPU.

The Verge said:
while it starts at $1,999 for the entry model (powered by an M1 Max chip) and $3,999 for the cheapest M1 Ultra version, getting a fully specced-out machine will set you back an eye-watering $7,999.

$4k for the “rumoured” spec. Called it.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
let's recap.

The name Mac Studio: check
Dual M1 max: check
20cpu/48gpu: check
10/24, 10/32, 20/64: check
128gb ram: check
5k display: check

Apple 5k display name: wrong
32GB ram on M1 ultra machine: wrong (i think this is the bug of MacOS i've test, but i have to admit that information is wrong)

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
let's recap.

The name Mac Studio: check
Dual M1 max: check
20cpu/48gpu: check
10/24, 10/32, 20/64: check
128gb ram: check
5k display: check

Apple 5k display name: wrong
32GB ram on M1 ultra machine: wrong (i think this is the bug of MacOS i've test, but i have to admit that information is wrong)
Overall, I think you nailed it. Well done.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I got some info about next workstation class mac, list below.

- It will be called Mac Studio
- Powered by M1 max 2x
- 20 CPU cores and 48 GPU cores
- Low-end mac display (but the prices not seem to be low) will be call Apple 5K display
- As i have seen only front of display, it closely resemble of what Apple Pro Display XDR look like.
- i've not seen the back and the side of display, so cannot tell anything about stand and back design. (is it sell separately etc)
Enjoyed yesterday's Studio intro.
That 5K display you mention, is that in addition to 2k base Studio.

---edited---
Found display uk store 1499/1749

thanks
thanks

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
When do we get a new forum for the Studio?

Just in case folks are following this thread automatically from where it started in the Mac Pro forums ... already happened yesterday.

[ 4 threads were moved out of the Mac Pro forum.
Mac Pro 6,1 lovers ... feel about Studio ( which I think is a dubious move, but it is an edge case. )
M1 Ultra ... not even Mac Pro Yet ( another slippery slope because partially driven on on what follow on to Ultra will be in the M-series Mac Pro. A 'quad' is pretty unlikely to ever fit inside a Studio. At least for several generations. )
Mac Studio 2 x 4K monitory best way to connect ( that one makes sense. )
]

Reactions: Donfor39

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
What is likely is that on the prototype machines, they probably soldered smaller DRAM chips than what is currently shipped. 4GB vs the eventual 8GB per module.

Reactions: windowsblowsass

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Oh i forgot to post about it, i can confirm that machine have 32GB of Ram. but my pal (who give me this opportunity) tell me that we will see 128gb version.

ps. my pal also give an info about high-end iMac!!! i will try to convince him to give me an opportunity to test it.
@Amethyst any comment on the high end iMac?

9to5Mac reported on 3/11:
"Sources told 9to5Mac that Apple currently has no plans to release a larger-screen iMac in the near future. The information comes from the same sources that revealed to us the plans for Mac Studio and Studio Display in advance."
And many other sources are also saying the 27" iMac / iMac Pro are dead.

But Mark Gurman said on 3/8 after keynote:
FYI: Still expecting an iMac Pro, for those wondering. M2 versions of the Mac mini, MacBook Pro 13-inch and 24-inch iMac are also in development.
and
There is no iMac Pro today (was discontinued a while ago), so it would make no sense for Apple to say there is a new iMac Pro coming. They had to say it about the Mac Pro to avoid people believing the Mac Studio (with all of its performance) was the Mac Pro’s replacement.
Any idea if the high-end iMac you saw/heard about would be coming soon (2022? WWDC?) Or maybe later with a future M2 chip, like people are saying now about the rumored redesigned Mac Mini? Would it be 27" size or something else...

Great scoop on the Mac Studio!

-narcan-

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
- It will be called Mac Studio