Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm using an LG 38WN95C-W with my Mac Studio via Thunderbolt and I can see the Night Shift settings, but enabling them doesn't take effect and the colours don't change. After configuring it and going back, I can see that the temperature automatically goes back to the far-left on "Less Warm". I've tried disabling and re-enabling it. I've seen other people having issues, but those were mostly cases where the option wasn't available at all. Is there anything I can do before resorting to f.lux? Using different picture modes in the monitor didn't make a difference. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 20.34.06.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 20.34.17.png

Last edited:

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
that's weird. I have a basic 32" 4K LG monitor that I connected to my new Mac Studio last night via HDMI, it Night Shifted no problem. just did it again to confirm.

Model # 32UK50T-W

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 3.29.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 3.29.26 PM.png
    402 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 3.29.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 3.29.29 PM.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: ourcore

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
If you RTFM you'll find that Night Shift only works on a small selection of external monitors: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207513
I did see this, but I didn't take it as completely reliable since Apple isn't really one to really comment on third-party components and I trust the community more. It works on the the person above's unsupported monitor, which doesn't surprise me

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Yep, that's what I've been using, it's just frustrating that I can enable Night Shift in PBP mode, but when I switch back, the slider is all the way down and moving it up doesn't have any effect like it does in PBP

RobertPS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2010
It's just hit and miss. On a Dell G3223Q (4k, DisplayPort) Night Shift doesn't work, in the same way as the LG in the OP. You can apply the setting, but it doesn't stick. I couldn't fix it. I thought it had something to do with the Mac recognizing the Dell as a television, but apparently not.

On a Gigabyte G32QC (1440p, DisplayPort) Night Shift does work.

dnh44

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
On a Dell G3223Q (4k, DisplayPort) Night Shift doesn't work
I've got this display and night shift was permanently off on it. But something happened and now nightshift is permanently on and I've got an orange screen. Unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in doesn't seem to work.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Don't see a solution posted for this so thought I'd share mine with a LG 38.

MacOS sees some monitors as a TV. I found the easiest fix is to use BetterDisplay to change the monitor identification to a Computer Monitor. You can change the setting in trial mode and it sticks even if BetterDisplay is not running.

Reactions: raffetazarius

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
On my EIZO CS2740 I can manually set the night shift temperature by clicking the "turn on until sunrise" box but it won't automatically go into night shift at sunset like it should. So semi-functional for my monitor.

raffetazarius

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2022
Don't see a solution posted for this so thought I'd share mine with a LG 38.

MacOS sees some monitors as a TV. I found the easiest fix is to use BetterDisplay to change the monitor identification to a Computer Monitor. You can change the setting in trial mode and it sticks even if BetterDisplay is not running.
Thanks so much for this valuable tip!

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Quite frankly before purchasing monitors to use with these Mac silicon technology this day in age, research it first to see if it will actually work with the silicon features on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.