Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
Was about to buy a nintendo switch oled. Recently noticed that the NS platform/console is 7 years old already. It still worth it in 2024?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
It is like buying mbp 13/15 in 2015 before butterfly redesign.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
If the platform has the games you really want to play and you also like the idea of portability then yeah i'd say it's worth it. I like it for quite a few of the games and especially for those geared towards younger kids (if you have those). There are rumors of a refresh sometime this year but who knows with Nintendo sometimes.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
If the platform has the games you really want to play and you also like the idea of portability then yeah i'd say it's worth it. I like it for quite a few of the games and especially for those geared towards younger kids (if you have those). There are rumors of a refresh sometime this year but who knows with Nintendo sometimes.
Most likely next spring announcement and shipping in Fall 2025. I am a new to the system, so far have bought 22 games that do interest me - with my speed it will take 3-5 years to tackle this backlog.
So yeah, it is totally worth it even if the switch is nearing the end of lifecycle - because who knows if the new one will be back compatible and the current one runs native games very good and have tons of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.