Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It's probably coming...they are waiting to announce the iPhone 8. Doesn't Apple always hold back features until they announce the new iPhone?

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I really doubt it... The new iphones will be out soon (again) and there will be no mention of a dark mode...

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
There is sort of a dark mode - Invert Colours "Smart" ... keeps some app icons normal colour, unlike the "Classic" invert colours, which every other iteration of iOS that has supported it has had.

Try it out...its pretty close to a dark mode. Its not bad

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How difficult is this? I would be happy with iOS 11 if its only difference from 10 was adding a dark mode... It isn't even funny anymore... We have been requesting this since iOS 7
Plenty of things have been requested even since before iOS 7 that aren't there. Nothing really new.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Dark mode will come in iOS 12. And it will be available for iPhones that uses A11 processor.

ravenseb

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2016
Baltimore
f918b4296e804751af18dcea1e5fcfff.png
close to dark mode

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
How difficult is this? I would be happy with iOS 11 if its only difference from 10 was adding a dark mode... It isn't even funny anymore... We have been requesting this since iOS 7

It's not as if it's just a couple of people that want this option. Like you and a good number of others, I've despised the brightness of iOS since version 7.

I don't want to take anything away from those that are happy with the default settings, I'd just like a system wide dark mode that I could choose to have permanently engaged.

I held out a hope this might be the year with the upcoming OLED screens and their deep blacks, but perhaps not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not as if it's just a couple of people that want this option. Like you and a good number of others, I've despised the brightness of iOS since version 7.

I don't want to take anything away from those that are happy with the default settings, I'd just like a system wide dark mode that I could choose to have permanently engaged.

I held out a hope this might be the year with the upcoming OLED screens and their deep blacks, but perhaps not.
People have been talking about more options for DND since about the iOS 6 days, just some really straightforward things like being able to set different options for weekends vs. weekdays or something like that, and yet here we are. That's just one example of many things that have been talked about for a long time.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
People have been talking about more options for DND since about the iOS 6 days, just some really straightforward things like being able to set different options for weekends vs. weekdays or something like that, and yet here we are. That's just one example of many things that have been talked about for a long time.

It is, you are correct, but just because a lot of time has passed that doesn't lessen the desire of those that really want this option.

As I say, I don't want to take anything away from those that don't, I'm advocating an additional option for those that do, as well as the capability for developers to choose to use in their apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is, you are correct, but just because a lot of time has passed that doesn't lessen the desire of those that really want this option.

As I say, I don't want to take anything away from those that don't, I'm advocating an additional option for those that do, as well as the capability for developers to choose to use in their apps.
Right, I'm just pointing out that not getting some feature that people have been talking for some time isn't really anything new or somehow worse than before (short of people somehow building themselves up and getting their hopes up beyond normal for some reason and then being disappointed mostly because they themselves built up the anticipation).

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Right, I'm just pointing out that not getting some feature that people have been talking for some time isn't really anything new or somehow worse than before (short of people somehow building themselves up and getting their hopes up beyond normal for some reason and then being disappointed mostly because they themselves built up the anticipation).

True - but there was some logic behind the hopes this time around in that we know from supplier orders that the next iPhone will have an OLED screen.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True - but there was some logic behind the hopes this time around in that we know from supplier orders that the next iPhone will have an OLED screen.
There is a bit of that, but even then you probably need to factor in the new phone not being announced yet, in which case something that might be there because of it might not be available until the phone is announced/released (or perhaps until later betas even).

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
There is a bit of that, but even then you probably need to factor in the new phone not being announced yet, in which case something that might be there because of it might not be available until the phone is announced/released (or perhaps until later betas even).

Yep that's true too and we've seen Apple hold back on feature announcements like this in the past.

We'll see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.