Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Pretty sure it’s going to be discontinued like the iPhone Mini, right or wrong majority of consumers want larger screens hence the launch of the bigger iPad & MacBook Air.

Also the Jelly Scrolling issue didn’t help, maybe they can’t find a supplier willing to make a low amount order LCD with a control board not mounted vertically.
A lot of businesses use the iPad mini for payment and table entertainment. I can't see Apple giving up that extra revenue.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Later this year, most likely as a press release.

I dunno. I’m expecting Apple to release two more iPads later this year - iPad mini and 11th gen. They might include those with the iPhone announcement.

A separate event isn’t entirely out of the question either. They’ve done it before. It’s probably even easier now that it’s not a live event but more of a longish infomercial.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Considering the iPad Mini is likely going to get an A18 chip, there was no logical reason to expect it to be announced until the iPhone 16 event at the earliest.

The rumors have said we’ll get refreshes of every iPad this year, so the iPad 11th gen and Mini 7 are still coming soon.

Reactions: geta

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Perhaps they're waiting to launch a foldable mini.... if they can keep it as thin as 8mm folded, you'd have an iPad mini that can fit in a phone pocket. That would be pretty nice actually, assuming it remains as performant, durable and long lasting battery wise as the current iPad mini with upgraded OLED display....

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany
I dunno. I’m expecting Apple to release two more iPads later this year - iPad mini and 11th gen. They might include those with the iPhone announcement.

A separate event isn’t entirely out of the question either. They’ve done it before. It’s probably even easier now that it’s not a live event but more of a longish infomercial.
Yeah, would make sense IMHO - last week was the M Series update, iPhones, entry level & mini iPads with A Series Chips get their update in September. That when the last mini was updated, along the iPhone 13.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I still expect them to update the Mini

...and further bump the price

The greedflation knows no bounds
The iPad 10 just get a price reduction and the Air stayed the same price, but with double the base storage... check out that greedflation.

Meanwhile the iPad Mini and base iPad use phone processors so they will probably be updated in the fall after the new phone processors have been revealed.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Really annoyed with no
iPad mini update. I have the 6th gen 64gb one and really need more space so I keep having to delete things on it. Will definitely opt for 256gb next time.

Reactions: benniacan

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Really annoyed with no
iPad mini update. I have the 6th gen 64gb one and really need more space so I keep having to delete things on it. Will definitely opt for 256gb next time.

Curious, will you still go for 256 if they up base storage to 128? Because that seems quite likely to happen based on the new M2 Air.

Reactions: IJBrekke

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Curious, will you still go for 256 if they up base storage to 128? Because that seems quite likely to happen based on the new M2 Air.
Nah, I would just do 128 in that case then. I have almost traded this one in for a 256 but knowing my luck they would release the new one shortly after lol so I am holding out.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

mlayer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
I'm over the supposed neglect of the mini. I've owned a mini 2, 5, and 6. It always seemed clear to me that once Apple segmented into 4 iPad lines, the mini would get whatever A-series chip management felt was worth deploying for it. The mini 2 & 3 had the same A7. mini 4 had the A8, mini 5 the A12, and the mini 6 the A15. There is no proper phone chip at the moment to stick in a mini 7, so they'll wait until the fall to put out the 7 with the A18 after the iPhone 16 is released. I suppose they could stick the A16 in there, but it's such an incremental move on an older process it makes little sense going forward. A18 will be a proper N3E solution with all of the benefits that should work well for a phablet-sized mini. I'm mostly interested in any other hardware changes to use to make mini 7 a worthwhile buy. Plus it should last for 3-4 years, which is just fine with me. I used to want a "mini Pro" but that market segment has to be so small that it isn't worth the effort required, especially because once you stick any M chip in a mini its cost will go way up and its battery life way down.

Reactions: flobach

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Very odd if it diidn’t also increase the RAM, but I suppose that wouldn’t be considered a major upgrade as Apple don’t make a habit of featuring RAM in the tech specs.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The earliest the Mini 7 will be released is after Apple release the A18 chip. Hopefully that it will also have 6GB (or 8GB) RAM and 128/512GB storage options.

Except that, no need for other changes.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The earliest the Mini 7 will be released is after Apple release the A18 chip. Hopefully that it will also have 6GB (or 8GB) RAM and 128/512GB storage options.

I know it doesn’t effect some people but they need to get rid of the Jelly Rolling screen.

Reactions: IJBrekke

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
We downgraded from 12.9 Pro to Mini 6 for my wife's use case and it totally made sense. Now, I'm looking for an iPad mini for myself and was totally expecting something new for this event. Promoting only 1k+ models in this cost of living is pure greed.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Don't see many interested. Most phones now have bigger screens than the ipad mini.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
How did we just have a purely iPad keynote, where iPad Mini hasn't been updated since 2021 (3 years ago), and it didn't get updated?
People are going to be pissed...

I found the 6 on Amazon for 350 and picked it up because the rumored delay. Only for consumption so I can care less about the new 7 coming out later this year for a whole lot more.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I’m hoping for A18 Pro + more RAM. Can’t play RE4 on the Mini 6.

Reactions: geta

losta

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
NY Metro area
I like the Mini too and I have the 2021 version. I wish there was a new one but since there is not I ordered the 11" iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.