Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What note-taking apps are you using?

• Apple Notes

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Evernote

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Obsidian

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Notion

• Heptabase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bear

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • UpNote

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • iA Writer

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Hand writing: e.g. Goodnotes, Notability...

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Text files

• Others (please explain below)

Votes: 21 30.0%

• Total voters

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Notion is indeed excellent. But if one doesn't have the discipline and self-control, endlessly tweaking the system results in a LOSS in productivity. It's such an issue that there are Youtubers who warn about it. 😁
How did you describe me and my issues so perfectly. I ended up ditching Obsidian and Notion altogether. Stuck with DEVONThink as there isn't much tweaking.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How did you describe me and my issues so perfectly. I ended up ditching Obsidian and Notion altogether. Stuck with DEVONThink as there isn't much tweaking.
LOL The struggle is real! I've wrestled with that as well (with other notes apps). You are correct, apps that have a particular framework (rather than an open-ended sandbox) are best. Not only because it limits the amount and type of tinkering, but it helps force us to think about the task of notetaking consistently (within the boundaries of the particular apps' feature set).

nk201

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Notion is indeed excellent. But if one doesn't have the discipline and self-control, endlessly tweaking the system results in a LOSS in productivity. It's such an issue that there are Youtubers who warn about it. 😁

Yes, it's a good point 😅

Reactions: ignatius345

CerebralHawks

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
United States
I use SnipNotes. I needed something that would sync between Mac (and MacBook), iPhone, and Apple Watch. Nothing else seems to do it. I like Apple Notes well enough, but I needed Watch access.

It's not free, and I paid more for Mac access (iPhone and Watch alone was cheaper), but it's not a subscription, just pay once and it's yours. Sync is I believe through iCloud.

My only gripe is that the Watch app constantly notifies me that it can't get online. Just about once a day, I think. I can't bring my phone in to work, hence needing the Watch app.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.