Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you running MacOS Sonoma betas?

• Yes

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 65 61.9%

• Total voters

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
The thing that really "tweaked my nipples" was how I got a warning in the Menu bar that BRAVE (my browser of choice until then) was recording my desktop!

mslilyelise

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
I came from a Linux background prior to getting into macOS so I'm not really a stranger to having to fix things myself, report bugs, or how to recover from crashes or other weirdness the public betas bring. I'm also intensely impatient about new features and exploring things, so while I've upgraded my production devices to beta software, that doesn't really make me worry about anything. As long as Safari and Pages still works I can get my writing done. Everything else is just nice-to-haves.

Presently running Sonoma on my M2 Air, iPadOS 17 on my iPad 8, iOS 17 on my iPhone 12, tvOS 17 on my ATV, and WatchOS 10 on my Watch SE. I dove right in there in other words. There is obviously some polish missing from certain elements of the OSes, the heartbeat monitor is flaky on WatchOS, setting up widgets on the iPadOS lock screen is very glitchy, and a couple other trivial things I've noticed are happening, but overall? Sonoma is a much more stable experience than most Linux machines I've used as daily drivers (except maybe Debian-Stable). I haven't experienced any runaway memory issues, battery drain, or thermal issues on any of the equipment I'm using.

Does Apple hire testers anymore? Think anyone could put a good word in with Tim? 🤣

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
And I must be mental as well as it has hosed my programming production suite.

What suite is that?

All the things I use in dev work (JetBrains products, Docker, Parallels, MongoDB, etc) have all been working from dev beta 1 (Parallels was a surprise, to be honest).

Reactions: dmccloud

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
One of my users who uses my software reported to me that it doesn't run on Sonoma. I usually don't start testing new versions until around a month away from launch and I don't plan any changes this year. If you are running your production where you make your living, you do not upgrade your production machine to beta software. If you have a spare system for testing, sure. I actually do have a spare system that I could test on but it's not setup with KVM right now and I'd prefer that Apple fix their bugs before I start testing.

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
No. I usually wait one or two full OS versions until I upgrade.
Based on some new feature in which I'm interested.

I'm extra reluctant to upgrade since apple silicon might update firmware which makes rolling back more difficult. It 'bricked' my laptop and had to use the Configurator with another mac to get it functioning again. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

For now, 'the' feature would be if Sonoma reaches full Steam support with online functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.