Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I wish tandem OLED would come to TV,
If you are in TV, then micoLed are the future and the answer and they are already there...of course, priced accordingly since they are not wild spread and rare

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If you are in TV, then micoLed are the future and the answer and they are already there...of course, priced accordingly since they are not wild spread and rare
Meh. MicroLED is effectively vapourware. Don't expect it Mac and iPad hardware for the next five years. If you want to wait that long (or longer), that's up to you, but I'd rather have a tandem OLED in the interim.

again, you cannot avoid blue pixel fading, no matter how many stacks you have...its not generating by heat or brightness, this is not something that they can avoid like burn-in with software or hardware.
TV ipads monitors must come with microLed, TV already have some, but only on the bigger scale since shriniking microLed pixels is the hardest
When you use an 1 year used oled tech, dual single stack along size with a same device tech fresh panel...we always see the difference, and we need proper image for our 3d modelling projects
Micro-led is the future for the next decades and not this miss and match tech with walkarounds
OLED pixel fade is due to high current and heat. Dual-stack allows for lowered currents and heat. Blue still will fade faster than other colours, but with dual-stack that degradation is greatly slowed.

Reactions: klasma

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Meh. MicroLED is effectively vapourware. Don't expect it Mac and iPad hardware for the next five years. If you want to wait that long (or longer), that's up to you, but I'd rather have a tandem OLED in the interim.
Of course...we work and we will work with tandem soon they will available on macbooks etc
But, of course we wished that mini-led to take even bigger step forwards but probably for Apple is cheaper to make tandem oleds than very high mini-led dimming zones
Micro-led, Apple should place it first in that 32" Pro Display, even if it will be 10k, thats worth the price for people who will benefit from it, and place tandem oled in that next 27" studio display

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Of course...we work and we will work with tandem soon they will available on macbooks etc
But, of course we wished that mini-led to take even bigger step forwards but probably for Apple is cheaper to make tandem oleds than very high mini-led dimming zones
Micro-led, Apple should place it first in that 32" Pro Display, even if it will be 10k, thats worth the price for people who will benefit from it, and place tandem oled in that next 27" studio display

Interesting article regarding Apple and microLED -

https://www.yolegroup.com/strategy-insights/did-apple-just-kill-the-microled-industry/

Reactions: MayaUser

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Mini-LED is a dead end IMO. Micro-LED may come but not any time soon. And Apple isn't going to fix it. The actual display manufacturers are having way, way too many problems with the technology, so it's not going to be viable for years. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if Micro-LED might go the way of SED.

Reactions: klasma

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Oled isn't worth is unless its 4k
iPad Pro's target customer cares about
Even OLED on small devices such as Nintendo Switch and Valve's Steam Deck have breathed new life into those devices. Heck, OLED has breathed new life into smart phones such as Apple's iPhone. Color obviously affects how rewarding it is to interact with these devices. If you disagree, turn your phone's "Grayscale" accessibility feature on and see how long you can last.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Blue still will fade faster than other colours, but with dual-stack that degradation is greatly slowed.
To add, blue diode is 3x more energy inefficient than red and green, hence burn-in, but a research company figured out a new method of blue diode that fixes that. It was licensed this year but I heard theres delays as OLED manufacturers are working out kinks so I'm uncertain when it will reach production. I was hoping it would be ready by 2025 for Apple's MacBook Pros, but who knows now.

Reactions: EugW

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Mini-LED is a dead end IMO.
The craziest thing about current Mini-LED is that they call the backlighting "dimming zones"—Lies!—they actually just turn on or off—they don't dim at all.

This year Sony figured out how to dim the dimming zones and it actually makes a HUGE difference in image quality. [Video] So much so, that this year Sony are replacing their QD-OLED with mini LED as the top of their flagship.

This is incorrect

Last edited:

Rizop

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
I’m really looking forward to my OLED iPad arriving Wednesday but honestly , miniled implemented at its finest is pretty close to OLED. I have a Sony X95L and an LG Oled and they’re damn close . Even in pitch black room , Sony’s algorithm shoes close to zero perceptible blooming , with super bright highlights and pretty much perfect black . I actually prefer the Sony due it revealing better low light detail plus I don’t feel bad leaving it on a good portion of the day with the news or channels with static elements .

I also have an M1 iPad I’ve owned for the past 3 years and it’s miniled has great contrast and bright highlights but whatever algorithm Apple implemented , isn’t nearly as effective as Sony’s ; blooming and haloing were absolutely noticeable in the dark - something that the Sony television never exhibits . The blooming seems to have gotten a bit better after software updates over the years though . In a bright room , the display is still stellar though . It’ll be fun comparing the two on Wednesday

Zeyphersan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
The craziest thing about current Mini-LED is that they call the backlighting "dimming zones"—Lies!—they actually just turn on or off—they don't dim at all.

This year Sony figured out how to dim the dimming zones and it actually makes a HUGE difference in image quality. [Video] So much so, that this year Sony are replacing their QD-OLED with mini LED as the top of their flagship.
Oh my god this explains so much! I like my mini-LED iPad Pro but was never in love with it due to the blooming, and I always felt like the “dimming zones” were way too bright when they should have been dimmer based on the content. You’re telling me they can’t? They’re a binary on or off?

Reactions: PaperMag

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Oh my god this explains so much! I like my mini-LED iPad Pro but was never in love with it due to the blooming, and I always felt like the “dimming zones” were way too bright when they should have been dimmer based on the content. You’re telling me they can’t? They’re a binary on or off?
Exactly. On or off.

Sony is revolutionizing dimming zones this year by making them actually dimmable for the first time, lol. Much more nuance in the backlighting algorithm as you can see in the previously linked video. I look forward to seeing a Bravia 9 in person to see how little blooming I can detect.

I'm wrong.

Last edited:

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
I have a Sony X95L and an LG Oled and they’re damn close . Even in pitch black room , Sony’s algorithm shoes close to zero perceptible blooming , with super bright highlights and pretty much perfect black . I actually prefer the Sony due it revealing better low light detail
But Sony engineers are goshdarn magicians. The X95L has less than 500 dimming zones and it blows every other mini LED out of the water with multiples more dimming zones. The iPad Pro has 2596 dimming zones, and other TVs have similar amounts, and they all look way worse than Sony’s lowly 500 dimming zones. So they hit an impossible standard other mini LED manufacturers can’t replicate. Best they can do is move to OLED. Sony, on the other hand, improved mini LED so much this year they made it their flagship TV (if you see the video in my previous comment, they “solved” mini LED).

Reactions: Rizop

AppelGeenyus

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2019

You’re making it sound like FALD backlight zones are all set at the same fixed brightness and only turn on or off, which is spectacularly wrong. Of course they can dim. The only difference with the new Sony is they have finer control over the dimming levels, and more leds per zone allowing higher brightness per zone.

Reactions: EugW

Zeyphersan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Exactly. On or off.

Sony is revolutionizing dimming zones this year by making them actually dimmable for the first time, lol. Much more nuance in the backlighting algorithm as you can see in the previously linked video. I look forward to seeing a Bravia 9 in person to see how little blooming I can detect.
Hmm I don’t know if this is true. Here’s a video where someone took the glass and films off the LEDs and you can pretty clearly see that they dim:

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
You’re making it sound like FALD backlight zones are all set at the same fixed brightness and only turn on or off, which is spectacularly wrong. Of course they can dim. The only difference with the new Sony is they have finer control over the dimming levels, and more leds per zone allowing higher brightness per zone.
You're right. I misunderstand as this host is quoting Sony as saying, essentially, the race to more dimming zones hits diminishing returns if manufacturers can't control dimming zones "in a finer manner beyond mere on-off states."

Hmm I don’t know if this is true. Here’s a video where someone took the glass and films off the LEDs and you can pretty clearly see that they dim:

You're right. I'm off.

SesameWasher

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Pics won’t really get it across if you view them on an LCD. From using Samsung OLED tablets, I can tell you that there is a significant difference. Mini LED doesn’t really differ much from regular LCD, apart from HDR highlights and blooming.
I'm not sure if you have ever owned a mini-LED device or not. The difference between a mini-LED and IPS (even VA) is definitely there. Not as perfect as OLED in this regard, but it's there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.