Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulmitchell64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
Followed the instructions on this page https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/BUILD.html
Used bless command to make patcher startup screen the default. Now when I reboot after the chime I see the OCPL start up picker screen for about 5 seconds and then I switches to a black screen with a white prohibited sign and then a few seconds after computer shuts down. I imagine it is a graphics card issue?

Im on a Mac Pro 5,1, with Sapphire metal GPU, which up until yesterday has been booting to Mojave perfectly.

Please advise

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
OCLP does not work with Mojave. You have to Option-Boot approach to get to the native menu to boot it or Legacy Windows BootCamp. OCLP will show up as an EFI boot under it.
You should have prepared a USB installer. Press Option in the OCLP screen to let you select booting into that.

Paulmitchell64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
OCLP does not work with Mojave. You have to Option-Boot approach to get to the native menu to boot it or Legacy Windows BootCamp. OCLP will show up as an EFI boot under it.
You should have prepared a USB installer. Press Option in the OCLP screen to let you select booting into that.
I actually got everything working and installed Monterey onto a Samsung NVE drive and all seemed to be working well.
But now I get random ‘freezing’ where the mouse pointer stops and the system becomes totally unresponsive and I have to power down.
It’s very frustrating because I have a fully loaded Mac Pro that I now feel I cannot rely on.
Any ideas??

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Hello everyone.

I cannot download from Apple, keeps giving me a timeout, although it's downloading fast, so why does it timeout.
1701484101268.png

Anyhow I can download with the other option where is says copy link, but no instructions what to do from that point?

1.Do I drag the downloaded file to the USB, then open it, or do I open then drag it to the USB?, thanks.
1701484283171.png

Whats strange is that I was able to download it last week, but I'm wondering if Apple is kicking it out for discouragement >?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Whats strange is that I was able to download it last week, but I'm wondering if Apple is kicking it out for discouragement >?
Apple re-issued all installers for still supported macOS releases back in the 16th, maybe OCLP is linking to the old releases, get it via the official way:

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 01.19.44.png

Then you just create your patched OCLP installer via "Use existing macOS Installer"

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
ALEX YOU ARE THE MAN BRUTHA.

Thank you.

So when I download do I use to the USB stick and open, or open then asks where to install, then to USB ?

thank you

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I read that and it didn't work as described. Certainly work when I followed this video.

I'm aware it's constantly changing with OCLP, even following the video it's GUI looks different from his video a year ago, but it worked.

The reason I want to redo it because my program software ( Pro Tools ) I have to force quit the program. I have Avid looking into to it as well, so I thought maybe I do another clean install of Monterey and just install Pro Tools, and no 3rd party plugins.

Although all 3rd party plugins qualified.

Create Mac installer worked great the first time
. But now I get this error now.

DOWNLOAD FAILED:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='swcdn.apple.com',port=443): Read timed out

From what I was able to pull from google is this. Website have anti scrapping protection mechanism that would make your request hang if flagged as scrapper.
You could get flagged as a scrapper based on time and/or timing. If the server sees too many requests from the same IP in set amount time, it could deem you a robot.

1701622392807.png

Vischl

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
I have absolutely the same problem. I have an iMac 27", late 2012. I was able to follow the instructions so far. However, I get the error in the opencore legacy patcher (error the same in all versions): "Download failed: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='swcdn.apple.com', port=443): Read timed out." Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

Attachments

•   2023-12-05 um 11.42.17.jpg
    2023-12-05 um 11.42.17.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 53

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I have absolutely the same problem. I have an iMac 27", late 2012. I was able to follow the instructions so far. However, I get the error in the opencore legacy patcher (error the same in all versions): "Download failed: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='swcdn.apple.com', port=443): Read timed out." Does anyone have a solution to the problem?
Seems like it's internet related. After quite a few attempts it finally fully downloaded. but for sure you can download a more reliable download where it gives you the option to copy the link. When Monterey is downloaded from the copy link tab, just drag it to the Application folder then Opencore app will see it.

I'm up and running on a Samsung NVMe. Really good. Just got to figure out why I can't quit Pro Tools normally. If not, force quit will have to do.

What really baffled me is that holding down the option key for seems forever and the EFI boot screen never popped up. All that time I could have just rebooted and it would give me the EFI boot screen normally ( scratching head head on that one ?

Last edited:

rorythomas99

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2024
Ireland
I actually got everything working and installed Monterey onto a Samsung NVE drive and all seemed to be working well.
But now I get random ‘freezing’ where the mouse pointer stops and the system becomes totally unresponsive and I have to power down.
It’s very frustrating because I have a fully loaded Mac Pro that I now feel I cannot rely on.
Any ideas??
I am currently running Monterey on mine, no OCLP or anything non native installed and I get this too, everything comes to a freeze and after 10 seconds or so the mac restarts. not sure if this is related

rorythomas99

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2024
Ireland
I read that and it didn't work as described. Certainly work when I followed this video.

I'm aware it's constantly changing with OCLP, even following the video it's GUI looks different from his video a year ago, but it worked.

The reason I want to redo it because my program software ( Pro Tools ) I have to force quit the program. I have Avid looking into to it as well, so I thought maybe I do another clean install of Monterey and just install Pro Tools, and no 3rd party plugins.

Although all 3rd party plugins qualified.

Create Mac installer worked great the first time. But now I get this error now.

DOWNLOAD FAILED:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='swcdn.apple.com',port=443): Read timed out

From what I was able to pull from google is this. Website have anti scrapping protection mechanism that would make your request hang if flagged as scrapper.
You could get flagged as a scrapper based on time and/or timing. If the server sees too many requests from the same IP in set amount time, it could deem you a robot.

View attachment 2320533
So is there a way to bypass this ? I've tried about 10 times to download Monterey, even installing older versions, and about 2-3GB in I get this error ?

Paulmitchell64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
I am currently running Monterey on mine, no OCLP or anything non native installed and I get this too, everything comes to a freeze and after 10 seconds or so the mac restarts. not sure if this is related
I figured out that it’s the energy saving settings that cause the freeze. Set power save settings to never put hard disks to sleep and this will cure the freeze

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.